North Carolina Dickey Bell trail at Uwharrie

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I might be going to Uwharrie soon (work schedule permitting) and considering trying Dickey Bell. I’ve heard the rocky hill climb at the beginning is the hardest part of it. I’ve seen a bunch of videos of it and read where some stock TJ’s have made it. I‘ve also read there are some by-passes in case you think it’s too much for your Jeep or skill level.

My Unlimited has a 2.5 inch lift, 31’s, 3.73 gears, an engine skid mated to the OEM transfer skid, a winch and no lockers. (The trail rack in the pics isn‘t on it right now.) Is it do-able without beating the crap out of it?

11D1C547-FA79-4888-9341-10EDD9B841FA.jpeg
F823E79C-B3E9-47B3-AC15-BEF97EFFC02B.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice! I did it a few years ago in my TJ with 2.5” lift, 33s and open diffs. I took an easier line for sure, but very doable. When I was there the right side of the climb was pretty easy. This was 5 years ago.
Also, same trip, I made it up the right side of the ledge on Daniel trail with no winching. I’m sure it’s worse now.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I went up the left side at the bottom. I though I'd try the right side at that area where that picture is I posted, but when me and my buddy walked it and got to that area it was really washed out up there. I wasn't comfortable trying that side. The rut on the left side in that picture was soft and mushy from the rains the last couple days. I started spinning there when the front came off the ground. My buddy stacked some rocks in there and then I made it through. I should have but a layer of rock in there before starting it and I think I would have made it through that spot easier.

I had to do a couple Austin Powers moves in order to line this Unlimited up with the line I wanted to take. LOL

200.gif