Did I do harm by removing skid plate without supporting transmission?

GregAusTex

As title says, I pulled the skid plated from under the transmission without realizing that it was more than a shield, and supporting the transmission.

It sat for several days as I was taking care of some frame rust and rust on the plate itself. It has just been sitting, not moved at all and not put in gear.

Now that I went to look at it after seeing a post mentioning supporting the tranny, the drive train was sagging noticeably. I don't recall seeing this when I first pulled the plate, but I suppose it could have. So now I have supports under where the small bolts are.

Is it likely anything has been damaged?

If anything, you may have damaged your motor mounts...and it may be really difficult to tell. If you plan on doing any off-roading, I'd throw a set of M.O.R.E. motor mounts onto the "to do" list.

In addition to the above, there is a shifter pivot for the transfer case on the drivers side of the tunnel that may be damaged. There is a replacement cable kit eliminates this, I’m considering installing one to replace the cheap drop bracket that came with my transfer case lowering kit.

As title says, I pulled the skid plated from under the transmission without realizing that it was more than a shield, and supporting the transmission.

It sat for several days as I was taking care of some frame rust and rust on the plate itself. It has just been sitting, not moved at all and not put in gear.

Now that I went to look at it after seeing a post mentioning supporting the tranny, the drive train was sagging noticeably. I don't recall seeing this when I first pulled the plate, but I suppose it could have. So now I have supports under where the small bolts are.

Probably not since you weren't driving around like that.

Last edited:
More than likely you're fine. I doubt you did any damage. I'd take a peak at the things @Daryl mentioned though, just to be sure.

Reactions: jazngab
Check to see how the transfer case shifts as in the above posts, you're probably ok otherwise.. I'll third the cable transfer case shift cable, it is wonderful.

I have a Jeep th 05. I also removed the skid plate and didn’t support the transmission. I only had it like that for 6 hours max while hearing a post mentioning it. I panicked and put it back. Didn’t remove the y pipe and need to drop oil pan for rear main seal can it be done with the y puppie in place?

It’s reassuring whenever I’ve done something dumb I google how bad I messed up and come here to find someone else has done the same thing. Even better when it’s not a major problem.

Reactions: Vasq

Is it likely anything has been damage

I figured I would just reply to this thread. I did the exact same thing. Was removing the skid plates without supporting the tranny and when I popped the second to last bolt the tranny came tumbling down. When it happened I had my front end on the jack about 5 inches or so. After that I lowered the front end down and put some support on the skid plate. Now it looks like my engine is doing a pop a wheelie as the fan is hitting the top of the shroud.

I am pretty much afraid to touch it at this point.....lol. My thoughts are that I need to jack up the transmission a bit, then unbolt the transmission mount from the skid, remove the skid, and then try to lift up the transmission from the motor mount until it seems to be back in place / when the skid can line up to the bolt holes. Does this sound correct?

Thoughts on if by raising the transmission back up if the motor will continue to tilt upwards to the front, will this maybe level it out, or possibly not do anything to the motor?

Thanks to all in advance!!!
JP

IMG_9679.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

I figured I would just reply to this thread. I did the exact same thing. Was removing the skid plates without supporting the tranny and when I popped the second to last bolt the tranny came tumbling down. When it happened I had my front end on the jack about 5 inches or so. After that I lowered the front end down and put some support on the skid plate. Now it looks like my engine is doing a pop a wheelie as the fan is hitting the top of the shroud.

I am pretty much afraid to touch it at this point.....lol. My thoughts are that I need to jack up the transmission a bit, then unbolt the transmission mount from the skid, remove the skid, and then try to lift up the transmission from the motor mount until it seems to be back in place / when the skid can line up to the bolt holes. Does this sound correct?

Thoughts on if by raising the transmission back up if the motor will continue to tilt upwards to the front, will this maybe level it out, or possibly not do anything to the motor?

Thanks to all in advance!!!
JP

View attachment 261989

View attachment 261990
Yes, you need to lift the tranny up, and seriously check the engine mounts. See if you can get things lined up. Sounds like a problem with one of the two engine mounts.

Jack up the transmission, support it and you'll be fine. You might check your fan and water pump to make sure they weren't damaged.
Jack up the transmission, support it and you'll be fine. You might check your fan and water pump to make sure they weren't damaged.
Thanks! A fan blade does look a bit bent, and I will check the water pump, may be time to replace that anyway. Once I start lifting my transmission up, should I expect the engine to start dropping in the front back to level?

Thanks! A fan blade does look a bit bent, and I will check the water pump, may be time to replace that anyway. Once I start lifting my transmission up, should I expect the engine to start dropping in the front back to level?
Look at the location of your engine mounts on either side of the engine. That is the fulcrum of the engine. If the engine is still bolted to the engine mounts and the mounts are not torn off or broken, then when you lift the transmission (which is behind the engine mounts) then the front of the engine at the fan will lower to center the fan back in the shroud. Fix your fan blade, of course.

Reactions: qslim
Look at the location of your engine mounts on either side of the engine. That is the fulcrum of the engine. If the engine is still bolted to the engine mounts and the mounts are not torn off or broken, then when you lift the transmission (which is behind the engine mounts) then the front of the engine at the fan will lower to center the fan back in the shroud. Fix your fan blade, of course.
Thank you!!! Thoughts on if I should bother disconnecting the tranny / transfer case skid from the transmission first and then lift? Or just lift from the skid under the transmission mounting bolts?