Did I just buy a Jeep Unicorn?

Teddydogno1

I joined this forum a few days ago asking questions about a rusty TJ. Today a newly available TJ popped up on my search. It was WAY more than I was planning to spend and as I drove to check it out I told myself I would only buy it if it was basically perfect.

So I bought a Jeep today. 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Oh. And it is a RUBICON. :p 89,000 miles.

2005LJrubicon_right1_small.jpg
2005LJrubicon_left1_small.jpg

2005LJrubicon_rear_small.jpg

2005LJrubicon_winch_small.jpg

The only rust to speak of is on the front and rear aftermarket bumpers. They could use some care and fresh paint. But the frame is in GREAT shape, as is the interior. Everything works. It does have a slight rear main seal leak (drips) for which the seller has offered to split the repair cost.

The owner was meticulous in his care and maintenance. It came with the pictured Warn 8000 lb. "upright" winch, an aftermarket bumper-mounted spare tire carrier with gas cans and Hi-Lift jack. Tires are 33 x 10.50 Toyo Open Country M/T tires on unknown wheels.

Here's what the frame looks like...

2005LJrubicon_frame1_small.jpg

2005LJrubicon_frame2_small.jpg

Not sure what else to say about my new Jeep, except that I am looking forward to doing some off road driving!

Rob

Congrats! Looks good! If you were comfortable and happy paying what you did then that’s all that matters

Reactions: lowranger
Does it even need anything done outside of maintenance? It looks great. Maybe a soft top for summer months?

Things I forgot to mention...

It came with 2 other tops...a soft top and a bikini. Bestop floor mats. K&N air filter. A spare fuel pump (he thought he needed it once, but didn't). A CB radio. Windshield is new. Clutch replaced about 2 years ago.

OH...6-speed manual transmission.

Rob
Big question....is it already properly geared for the tire size?

Congrats. You are going to have such a good time with that. I paid more than I wanted for my Jeep too. But, I’m very happy with it. If it were a Rubicon that would be all the better. But, I used what I could as far as money went and couldn’t spend any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He didn't mention gearing, so I assume they are stock. Does that mean 4.10? 33" tires. Seems to drive just fine on the freeway.

Rob
Ah yes I forgot it’s a rubicon. So the 4.10 gears should be fine. You’re all set. Great find!

It has a 2.5" lift kit. He told me the brand, but I have forgotten. I'll ask him if I don't think of it.

Also, the shocks are new and to me they feel like they may be too stiff. He said he got them at Les Schwab and they matched them to the weight of the vehicle, supposedly.

Rob

The seller said he knew he had it priced about $3k too low on purpose and would not negotiate lower. I happily paid the $17,000 asking price. It was posted for sale on Saturday, I think, and he has had MANY inquiries and even a couple of folks who looked at it. I was the first there with a clear "I'll take it" and big stack of cash (yes...paid cash).

Rob

Seems like a great find! I love it! If I had found something like that a month ago when I was looking for a Jeep I would not have passed it up.

The lift is a Skyjacker.

And the seller just texted to tell me he forgot to give me the alarm fobs...its go LOJACK!

And yeah, I though the mud flaps were a little odd.

I might want some rock guards and/or steps of some kind...it is a bit of a "climb" in. Not sure my wife would be able to and the 12-year-old girl who calls me "daddy" might need to be "tossed" in.

Rob