Did I just buy a Jeep Unicorn?

Same price as one I was looking at from dealer website that @Starrs pointed out in KY but that one did not have the nice frame condition as yours. It was definitely ok but I decided against the 800 mile trip to grab it.

That winch is unreal , looks like it might pull start like a lawnmower .

That’s a good find .

Great looking LJR, congratulations. Please get some replacement body mounts, though...those are on their last legs...

That winch is unreal , looks like it might pull start like a lawnmower .

Yeah, it does look like a pull start for a small gas engine. But apparently that is how you set or unset the clutch for free-spooling.

Owner said that it is stuck, so can only power in/out. I would think that would be fairly easy to repair or replace, but what do I know. First winch for me. I have the manual and will check it out.

Also...should I get a cover for the winch? For me, the Jeep will have to live outside. It has what looks like nylon rope in it, but I HOPE it is actually high-tech synthetic winch rope. Owner said it was some expensive stuff. Any way to check on what it is exactly?

Rob

Great spotting and buying too..17k !!! what a deal
By the way this is a True Jeep unicorn haha glad you didn't buy one of those ( Not surprised its a JKU )

unic.jpg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
They only put the "Trail Rated" badge on the left side. Its not missing. And I'm 95% sure you have synthetic line on that winch. If its nylon it needs to be remove pronto. Absolutely do NOT use it for a recovery!
Oh, and congratulations on your new to you jeep! Looks like an excellent buy!! Welcome to the forum!

They only put the "Trail Rated" badge on the left side. Its not missing. And I'm 95% sure you have synthetic line on that winch. If its nylon it needs to be remove pronto. Absolutely do NOT use it for a recovery!
Oh, and congratulations on your new to you jeep! Looks like an excellent buy!! Welcome to the forum!

Oh, wow, great! Didn't know that. I guess Jeep made sure to tune the suspension to handle the uneven load. I won't worry about tipping over now. Thanks!

Truly, that seems odd to only put it on the driver's side. Only the driver needs to know he/she is about to enter a Trail Rated vehicle, I suppose.

Rob

Oh, wow, great! Didn't know that. I guess Jeep made sure to tune the suspension to handle the uneven load. I won't worry about tipping over now. Thanks!

Truly, that seems odd to only put it on the driver's side. Only the driver needs to know he/she is about to enter a Trail Rated vehicle, I suppose.

Rob
It’s in the exact same spot as the antenna on the passenger side so nowhere else to put a second

The lift is a Skyjacker.

And the seller just texted to tell me he forgot to give me the alarm fobs...its go LOJACK!

And yeah, I though the mud flaps were a little odd.

I might want some rock guards and/or steps of some kind...it is a bit of a "climb" in. Not sure my wife would be able to and the 12-year-old girl who calls me "daddy" might need to be "tossed" in.

Rob
Mud flaps to the hub are required by law in WA. I’m moving there and dreading it, so tell me its not enforced

Reactions: KennedyLJ
That " upright winch" is an 8274. Even the older models are pretty highly sought after. The newer re-released models are even better and very expensive. Not to mention an icon in the warn lineup. Not functioning correctly? Tell you what, I'll buy you a brand new Badlands 10k and install it for you if you bring the lawn mower winch to my place in exchange.

That " upright winch" is an 8274. Even the older models are pretty highly sought after. The newer re-released models are even better and very expensive. Not to mention an icon in the warn lineup. Not functioning correctly? Tell you what, I'll buy you a brand new Badlands 10k and install it for you if you bring the lawn mower winch to my place in exchange.

Um, probably not, but thanks for the offer. As I understand it, only the lever/handle that moves the gear for the free spool setting isn't working. I was actually just watching some videos about teardown and rebuild of these winches. Looks like it should be pretty straightforward to remove that assembly and check it out to see what is binding or frozen and either fix or replace it. Found the assembly for about $90 (not including the actual gear that the lever engages/disengages).

Rob

Reactions: Kiwi TJ