Did I just buy a Jeep Unicorn?

Um, probably not, but thanks for the offer. As I understand it, only the lever/handle that moves the gear for the free spool setting isn't working. I was actually just watching some videos about teardown and rebuild of these winches. Looks like it should be pretty straightforward to remove that assembly and check it out to see what is binding or frozen and either fix or replace it. Found the assembly for about $90 (not including the actual gear that the lever engages/disengages).

Rob
I was joking... Unless your really on the fence 😉

The recommended, Dorman
5C461FE4-60C9-40ED-862E-C6970FA6FC7E.png

Reactions: Starrs
Drove it to work today and paid attention to the RPM. On level freeway at 60 mph, it was turning about 2750 rpm in 5th gear and 2300 in 6th.

I also noticed that it didn't have an upshift light. A 2001 Sport that I drove last week did. Did they get rid of that piece of idiocy by 2005?

Rob

Mud flaps to the hub are required by law in WA. I’m moving there and dreading it, so tell me its not enforced
Enforcement is hit or miss at best, It all depends on what kind of mood Mr. Officer is in when they get behind you. I ended up with a fix it ticket years ago courtesy of a Snohomish County Deputy, the ticket said I needed mud flaps and fender flares. I had 15 days to submit to WASP for inspection. I used some old square tubing and made some quick disconnect brackets for rear mud flaps, and didn't change flares. I went to the closest State Patrol office, the officer came out, and said, "Well I see you have fender flares and mud flaps" She signed the ticket, said I was good to go and that she would file the paperwork for me. Along with the mud flap law, they also state that no portion of the tire that contacts the ground shall extend past the out side of the fender/flare.. Good luck!

Reactions: JMT
Enforcement is hit or miss at best, It all depends on what kind of mood Mr. Officer is in when they get behind you. I ended up with a fix it ticket years ago courtesy of a Snohomish County Deputy, the ticket said I needed mud flaps and fender flares. I had 15 days to submit to WASP for inspection. I used some old square tubing and made some quick disconnect brackets for rear mud flaps, and didn't change flares. I went to the closest State Patrol office, the officer came out, and said, "Well I see you have fender flares and mud flaps" She signed the ticket, said I was good to go and that she would file the paperwork for me. Along with the mud flap law, they also state that no portion of the tire that contacts the ground shall extend past the out side of the fender/flare.. Good luck!
I think I’ll run 33x10.5 on my next set of tires, get a 4” BS wheel and some Rubicon flares. That should solve the fender issue. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I guess ID has no such laws?

Reactions: reddvltj
I think I’ll run 33x10.5 on my next set of tires, get a 4” BS wheel and some Rubicon flares. That should solve the fender issue. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I guess ID has no such laws?
I haven't really looked into Idaho's laws on flares and mudflaps where jeeps are concerned, I've heard they have similar laws on the books as Washington they just don't seem to enforce them that I have seen. I do know if your vehicle is modified with regard to height you are supposed to have flaps that extend to mid axle height

Reactions: JMT
Can you take a picture from the front and back head on. I'd like to see the profile how those 33x10.5's sit. I am on the fence on either going with 10.5 or 12.5 in 33s.. Any wheel spacers installed on that rig?

I joined this forum a few days ago asking questions about a rusty TJ. Today a newly available TJ popped up on my search. It was WAY more than I was planning to spend and as I drove to check it out I told myself I would only buy it if it was basically perfect.

So I bought a Jeep today. 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Oh. And it is a RUBICON. :p 89,000 miles.

View attachment 99917View attachment 99918

View attachment 99919

View attachment 99920

The only rust to speak of is on the front and rear aftermarket bumpers. They could use some care and fresh paint. But the frame is in GREAT shape, as is the interior. Everything works. It does have a slight rear main seal leak (drips) for which the seller has offered to split the repair cost.

The owner was meticulous in his care and maintenance. It came with the pictured Warn 8000 lb. "upright" winch, an aftermarket bumper-mounted spare tire carrier with gas cans and Hi-Lift jack. Tires are 33 x 10.50 Toyo Open Country M/T tires on unknown wheels.

Here's what the frame looks like...

View attachment 99921

View attachment 99922

Not sure what else to say about my new Jeep, except that I am looking forward to doing some off road driving!

Rob
Wow! nice colour and winch!

Yeah, it does look like a pull start for a small gas engine. But apparently that is how you set or unset the clutch for free-spooling.

Owner said that it is stuck, so can only power in/out. I would think that would be fairly easy to repair or replace, but what do I know. First winch for me. I have the manual and will check it out.

Also...should I get a cover for the winch? For me, the Jeep will have to live outside. It has what looks like nylon rope in it, but I HOPE it is actually high-tech synthetic winch rope. Owner said it was some expensive stuff. Any way to check on what it is exactly?

Rob
If it was nylon , you couldn't pull your way out of a pot hole...

Reactions: Sam Solo
well, the plate frame says you might be on the west side of the mountains?

Nice Im on my way to pick up an 05 lj Rubicon that I just bought I saw it on Facebook so I messaged the guy and I told him that I wanted it if it was still available he asked me if I wanted to drive it and look at it first I said I want to know how bad the rust was and if it there was anything wrong with it when he told me that the only rust was on the doors by the windows and that there is nothing wrong with it and it runs great I said okay I will be there in the morning with a cashier's check for it