Did I overpay for my TJ?

Wrebel0728

Just purchased a 2005 TJ. Rocky Mountain edition. Has 115,000 miles on it. Garage kept. No mods and no rust. 6 speed manual. Only paid 7k for it. Seems like I got a great deal on it but I am new to the Jeep world so just checking to make sure I didn’t over pay. Not that it matters now.

Just purchased a 2005 TJ. Rocky Mountain edition. Has 115,000 miles on it. Garage kept. No mods and no rust. 6 speed manual. Only paid 7k for it. Seems like I got a great deal on it but I am new to the Jeep world so just checking to make sure I didn’t over pay. Not that it matters now.

We can’t really tell you if you overpaid or not unless you show us detailed photos of the Jeep in question, including the underside.

Would you sell it now to me or someone else on this forum for $7K?

Yeah, if it's in good shape that's a great deal. My guess, in a year or so you might not think it is such a great deal. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, if it's in good shape that's a great deal. My guess, in a year or so you might not think it is such a great deal. Hope I'm wrong.
Haha that was I was five years ago when I bought my 98. Got it for 7k and thought I got a steal. Three years go by and I am paying 1500 to put safety caps on the rear control arms 🤦‍♂️.

Let's reserve judgement until we see pictures. My Jeep is a double whammy. A Jeep from Jersey that split its like in SE PA. My Jeep also has virtually no rust. The frame is spotless. I simply have a little bit on the front top fender.

Let me tell you this: if it's spent it's entire life in New Jersey, it has rust. It might be manageable, it might not be a big deal, but I don't care if that garage was owned by Tony Soprano, that frame has at least a little corrosion going on inside unless the previous owner was prescient enough to drill drain holes and never drive on salted roads.

Also, for the record, if you paid money for a TJ, you overpaid. Who are we kidding?

Once the check has cleared the bank, whether or not you overpaid is irrelevant. What is more important is that now that it is yours, you get your 7k of enjoyment out of it.

After all, the purchase price is just the beginning of a lifelong series of empty pockets when it comes to Jeep ownership.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Let's reserve judgement until we see pictures. My Jeep is a double whammy. A Jeep from Jersey that split its like in SE PA. My Jeep also has virtually no rust. The frame is spotless. I simply have a little bit on the front top fender.

Have you replaced shocks, track bars, control arms, etc...?

My TJ is also a PA resident it's whole life. The frame was treated apparently and it's fine. I dropped the TC and the bolts were in good shape, no rust on the skid. Lower control arm bolts were pretty good too. Above that, yeah, rust city. Upper rear shock bolts all snapped. Replaced track bar hardware when I got an adjustable.

Let's just say my impact wrench has gotten a workout.

Like said. Nobody can really give an accurate answer without seeing the Jeep in detail. Most of these gentlemen can tell you what to look for and after a while you’ll figure that out also. Posting good clear pictures would be a big help.
If your description is correct, no rust and no mechanical issues I’d say yes you’d gotten a steal. Especially seeing the prices people are asking for nice clean TJ’s or even beat up rotten TJ’s for that matter.
I paid around the same for mine. I knew what I wanted and knew what it was. I looked it over, under, in and out. Drove it listen to it and made my decision knowing I’ll be putting some $$ into it.
I’d been shopping around looking for a YJ or a TJ for about 6 months before I bought mine. Every seller was quoting Jeep prices to me based on nice clean low mileage jeeps. Most of the jeeps I looked at were rotten in some manner. High price junk was everywhere and the good deals went really fast.
If nothing else take a look in the classifieds, be honest with yourself and compare your Jeep to what’s “selling”.