Did I pick the wrong back backspacing for 31X10.5 KO2s?

primetime4

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello All... I am new here and hate to post another wheel/backspacing thread but I am seeing a lot of contradictory information. I just ordered a set of 31x10.5 KO2s with 15x8 inch wheels. The backspacing options were 3.75 or 5.29. The ideal backspacing range seems to be 4 - 4.5 inches which was not an option for these alloy wheels. Naturally, I went with 3.75 as the closer option. Did I make a mistake here? I am okay with sticking out some but did not intend on a super flared look. Will that 1.5 inches make a huge difference looks-wise? I was definitely a little more concerned with rub on a 2 inch lift.

Thank you.

You could have chosen either. Factory Moab wheels are 5” backspacing and they fit with 31x10.5” tires. 3.75” backspacing will work just fine, it will just make your wheels and tires stick out further past the fender flares.

They do stick out but not too much. It helps to give our smallish 31s a more "offroad" look than when they are completely flush. I like it

Here is parking lot pic.
31" ko2s with 15s and 3.7 backspacing.
20180913_102521.jpg

You could have chosen either. Factory Moab wheels are 5.25” backspacing and they fit with 31x10.5” tires. 3.75” backspacing will work just fine, it will just make your wheels and tires stick out further past the fender flares.

Thanks for your reply Chris. I just checked and Moab wheels and the spec says the backspacing is 5 inches and I was worried about going higher then that. But I read a bunch of responses today about 3.75 affecting steering too much and stressing wheel bearings that has me totally freaked out.

Thanks for your reply Chris. I just checked and Moab wheels and the spec says the backspacing is 5 inches and I was worried about going higher then that. But I read a bunch of responses today about 3.75 affecting steering too much and stressing wheel bearings that has me totally freaked out.

My bad, I meant to say 5”. 5.25” would have been fine, the wheels and tires would have just sat in a lot more.

3.75” backspacing isn’t going to affect your steering or cause premature wear or stress on wheel bearings. Plenty of us run that offset. Whoever was saying that nonsense shouldn’t be listened to.

Reactions: JMT
I've been running 3.75" BS wheels for 8 years on a 10.50 wide tire with no premature wear issues. Unit bearings and ball joints are original and at 162K miles. If you are concerned about the tires sticking out from the flares too far, you could opt to get some Rubicon flares. They are 1" wider than non-Rubi/Sahara flares. Here's an example of a 10.50 tire with Rubi flares.
20180123_084031.jpg

Reactions: GTboosted
You didn't make a mistake. You won't damage components. Whoever said that has no clue what they are talking about. 3.625 BS

IMG_9891.JPG

Reactions: GTboosted
Thanks everyone for the replies. Some great looking rigs and definitely eases my mind about my backspacing choice. I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to posting some pics build pics soon.

Reactions: UpperMI