Did my TJ come with a subwoofer?

dereku

Hi, everyone. I'm an active-duty service member and currently deployed. While I've been gone, I had to have my wife purchase a new (used) vehicle for me. It's a 2006 TJ. So, I've never even driven it. Based on the VIN, I believe it has the "X" trim. The center console has the subwoofer holes on the driver's side, but there is nothing inside the console (except a stray wire or two).
I'm trying to find out if:
(1) all '06 TJs have these cut-out speaker holes, whether it has the subwoofer or not, OR did one of the three previous owners remove the sub. And,
(2) If it was not in there originally, did TJs come from the factory with the wiring harness already in place (as some late-model TJs had fog light wiring installed, even without fog lights attached). I'd like to replace whatever was there, with the upgraded speaker from Quadratec. But if the wiring harness isn't there, I won't bother.

Looking forward to getting home in a few days to play with my new toy. Thanks for any information you guys can throw me.

The only thing it says is "AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl" and "4 Speakers," so I guess no sub was installed at the factory. I'm not sure what "Customer Preferred Package 2TX" or "Customer Preferred Package 25X" refer to...
Any idea if the wiring harness should be under there? Thanks again for your help.

The only thing it says is "AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl" and "4 Speakers," so I guess no sub was installed at the factory. I'm not sure what "Customer Preferred Package 2TX" or "Customer Preferred Package 25X" refer to...
Any idea if the wiring harness should be under there? Thanks again for your help.

You will have to do a search with those codes and they'll tell you what came with each package.
@Chris do you have something in the resource section that breaks down the codes?

No not scan codes for OBD II.

He ran his VIN and it says he has this customer package and then another package. Do you know where to find out what those codes mean?

Ohhh, that I do not know actually. However, if anyone finds something I would love to see the link so that I can make it a resource thread.

Reactions: Wildman
Ohhh, that I do not know actually. However, if anyone finds something I would love to see the link so that I can make it a resource thread.

The OP is deployed right now and his wife bought the Jeep so he's trying to gather some info on it.

(1) all '06 TJs have these cut-out speaker holes, whether it has the subwoofer or not, OR did one of the three previous owners remove the sub. And,
(2) If it was not in there originally, did TJs come from the factory with the wiring harness already in place (as some late-model TJs had fog light wiring installed, even without fog lights attached). I'd like to replace whatever was there, with the upgraded speaker from Quadratec. But if the wiring harness isn't there, I won't bother.

Looking forward to getting home in a few days to play with my new toy. Thanks for any information you guys can throw me.

You have more experiance with newer TJ's than I do so can you answer his questions about the subwoofer?

To my knowledge the X trim level (being a base model) didn’t have the subwoofer. However, it may have had the console with the subwoofer provision.
Thank you both very much. After blowing up a lot of pictures online, I'm coming to the same conclusion. Just hoping I'll find an un-connected wiring harness under there when I get home. Thanks again!

Reactions: Wildman
Thank you both very much. After blowing up a lot of pictures online, I'm coming to the same conclusion. Just hoping I'll find an un-connected wiring harness under there when I get home. Thanks again!

Glad we could help a little and get home safe and start enjoying your new ride.

If it makes you feel any better, the factory subwoofer is a real piece of crap that provides terrible bass. I ripped mine out not long after getting my TJ and replaced the entire sound system with something much better (y)

• Face Palm
Reactions: Midwest and Wildman
Look at the sides of the console. If it came with a subwoofer it'll have slots cut into it. If it didn't come with a subwoofer, the sides will be solid.

This is my previous OEM console that came with a subwoofer.

OE-Console_resized.jpg

From his original post he said that the center console has the slots cut into it but he's never seen the Jeep as his wife bought it for him while he is deployed.

The center console has the subwoofer holes on the driver's side, but there is nothing inside the console (except a stray wire or two).
I'm trying to find out if:

But it sounds like his doesn't have the speaker there. He isn't online much since he's deployed right now but is just trying to figure out what might be in the rig.

He ran his VIN for a build sheet and this is the info he got back.

Once he gets home I'm sure there will be more information.

Look at the sides of the console. If it came with a subwoofer it'll have slots cut into it. If it didn't come with a subwoofer, the sides will be solid.

This is my previous OEM console that came with a subwoofer.

View attachment 205079
My console has the slots cut into it, but it has the white plastic insert instead of the subwoofer insert. And the build sheet shows it did not come with the upgraded sound system option. 🤔