Did some stuff, BedRug, speakers, etc

Rob5589

Certified video trained differential rebuilder
Supporting Member
Installed a Bed Rug set today. It went fairly easily, needed some minor trimming here and there, overall fit was good. The drivers front needed some modification as I have a Tuffy box. Simply trimmed off the portion the fits under the seat, easy enough. Front pass side fitment was probably the worst of all the pieces. Not horrible but, it had to be "just right" to cover the intended area. It all velcros in place and there simply wasn't enough of it. I ran to Lowes and picked up some heavy duty stuff to supplement what came with it. Took a couple hours taking my time to dry fit before sticking it down.
It can come out to hose off but, it is kind of a PITA getting it in so I won't likely be pulling it out. It quieted the cab significantly over the bare floor, as expected. Looks nice, got a thumbs up from the spouse even.
IMG_20161103_141510626_zpspfoxvzel.jpg

IMG_20161103_144721099_zps8zdbfybo.jpg

IMG_20161103_143536638_zpst4mvmcv6.jpg

IMG_20161103_143510620_zpsgdyfwcuw.jpg

IMG_20161103_144712645_zpsmi2rcbak.jpg

I was looking for some better sound as everyone knows the great acoustics in a TJ:rolleyes:
First I needed more power to overcome the road noise. So I installed a Clarion 2410 amp which is a 4 channel, 75 wpc marine rated amp. It is a compact amp and I was able to fit it behind my head unit. The HU I have is a media player only so its very shallow. I zip tied it to the factory radio bracket fairly easily. I blew it and forgot pics though, apologies.
For the rear pods I pulled the speakers, stuffed with polyfil, and used foam tape to seal the edges of the speakers. I use 6.5" Kenwoods so they do not fit entirely flush. Now they are all sealed up. No pics, but self explanatory.
For the fronts I experimented and modified the bracket mounting. They fire downward away from the passengers so of course the sound is pretty poor. I was able to level them out with some screws and bending stuff. Even with the amp it didn't do a whole lot.
IMG_20161103_145511003_zps3vmrzzw2.jpg

Soooo, I bought an inexpensive set of Powerbass silk dome tweeters from Amazon. They have multiple mounting options so I used the swivel base and the included double sided foam tape to mount them in the corners of the dash. Whoa, sooo much better now. I can actually hear sound from the front instead of the pods blasting my head. The biggest improvement by far and for only 30 bucks. It can blast pretty good now although it still lacks any meaningful bass.
IMG_20161103_145519084_zpsxsyiyuta.jpg

Last edited:
The last little fix was to the upper dash panel. The grill had become brittle and was falling apart. I pulled it off for a fix and unfortunately cracked it. What I found to replace the grill was some mesh used for the sides of houses that get stucco. I trimmed it to fit and epoxied it in. I also epoxied the cracks, which ended up on both sides. The epoxy flowed into the crack and onto the surface. I tried to clean it off but didn't have much luck. So, I just hit it with some Fusion and threw it back on. I didn't find anything that would match the faded interior color so I used black. Looks decent considering other pieces of the dash are black.
IMG_20161103_145529525_zpsbqrslyoa.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! That looks excellent. This is one of those things I've been meaning to buy for a while, but haven't yet. You've inspired me to get off my ass and order it. It really does look awesome.

Thanks. It takes a little work to make it all fit together but in the end it looks good. The extra velcro helped quite a bit. Hopefully my feet won't burn up anymore either :D

Reactions: Chris
I welcome any extra heat insulation and sound insulation that could potentially come with the BedRug. It looks a lot better in your photos than it does in their promotional photos. You'd never know it wasn't factory.

There are a couple spots that aren't stellar looking but it is what it is. Couple other things; it says you do not need to remove the console. You don't but, removing it makes it much easier to fit. Also, the cutouts on the rear for the seat brackets and such are close, but you are better doing a dry fit over them and marking the actual position and then cutting. A pair of sharp scissors and/or box cutter is all that is needed.

The bed rug looks great. How do you think its going to handle the dirt and clean up? I'm very curious about this product and the Bed Tred product. The bed tred looks like it cleans up real easy but I like the carpeting look and feel better.

Reactions: Reign Mack
Supposedly it holds up well. It can be pulled out, hosed off, and replaced. Although like I mentioned earlier, it is kind of a PITA to get it put in just right. Of course, that was before it was all trimmed to fit so it may be easier the next go round. My plan is to run some mats when I expect to encounter heavy nastiness.

Reactions: StG58 and UpperMI
Man that Bedrug looks so good. I would really like to replace my factory carpet with it. Their home office isn't far from me.. maybe I can knock on the door and get some rejected pieces for a discount.

Treasure those pics. That will be the last time you see your interior that clean, lol! In all seriousness, that Bedrug looks fantastic. Maybe some Weathertech mats will help keep it fresh.

Reactions: StG58 and JP13
@FF_Jeep Thanks, I am pleased with how it came out.

@bobthetj03 Haha, for sure. My last trip to Idaho took about 6 hrs of cleaning:( If I recall correctly, Bed Rug advises against running mats. Maybe the nubs wear it too heavily?? Not really sure.

@Jay The mesh is a corner piece for stucco applications. Was only a couple bucks if I recall. I got it at Lowes, most hardware stores are likely to carry it.

Reactions: JP13