Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck Over Deleted Emissions Equipment (UPDATED)

F the government. On the other hand he's probably one of the idiots who are overfueling so bad there is a black cloud of unburnt diesel 1000 feet behind the POS every time he gets on the go pedal. There is gonna be plenty of pissed oil burner owners once Ca's smog Nazi's come to their state to crack the whip.

It seems he was foolish enough to state in his Marketplace ad that his truck was deleted. So I'd guess get got what was coming. But I still question the truth that he has to crush it if it isn't registered and being used for Off-Road purposes only.

I'd sure be looking for ways around all of it.

Reactions: DEValken

Misleading article headline and misleading thread title. He is not being forced to crush the truck, he is choosing that over the other options despite the State willing to give him time extensions for the work needed.

I do understand your intent to have a discussion, no complaints there whatsoever.

He is either lazy and/or he does not want to spend the ~10K to get it compliant. If he thought he could get a few grand out of the truck after putting the equipment in and selling it, he would be doing it. He probably cannot sell it out of state at this stage. Crushing it is a better story though, for social media.

Last edited:
Misleading article headline and misleading thread title. He is not being forced to crush the truck, he is choosing that over the other options despite the State willing to give him time extensions for the work needed.

I do understand your intent to have a discussion, no complaints there whatsoever.

He is either lazy and/or he does not want to spend the ~10K to get it compliant. If he thought he could get a few grand out of the truck after putting the equipment in and selling it, he would be doing it. He probably cannot sell it out of state at this stage. Crushing it is a better story though, for social media.

Well, I wouldn't spend the money to make it emissions legal either, but I'd also be fighting the whole either make it compliant or crush it. So while no they aren't forcing him to crush it unless you got the money laying around then in a way yes, they are.

When I deleted my 2008 Ram, I kept all the parts in case I wanted to sell it. There are many who own deleted trucks that don't ahve the parts to return them to compliance and IMO there are many from the first few years 2008-2012 that should be allowed to legally remove the emissions since it's so harmful to the vehicles. But that is a whole nother fight.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I sold my 2014 F550 flatbed with 150K last fall to one of my buddies and 3 months later the DEF system went out. Ford said $10k to fix it but that they did not have the parts and had no idea when they would be available. After waiting and not being able to use the truck he spent $2.5K to delete the whole DEF system. The vehicle is in ND and there is no smog check but his local Ford dealer will no longer work on it.
By the way we are still friends.

Reactions: Wildman
I sold my 2014 F550 flatbed with 150K last fall to one of my buddies and 3 months later the DEF system went out. Ford said $10k to fix it but that they did not have the parts and had no idea when they would be available. After waiting and not being able to use the truck he spent $2.5K to delete the whole DEF system. The vehicle is in ND and there is no smog check but his local Ford dealer will no longer work on it.
By the way we are still friends.

The worst thing about doing deletes now is the lack of tuners or support for tuners for deleted rigs. You can still go to Canada and get a new tuner but unless you know someone here in the USA it's pretty hard to get custom tunes anymore. There have been businesses that have been shut down and fined for doing deletes or selling tuners or tunes for deleted rigs.

Buying used vehicles from friends is always a risk. But it wasn't like you knew the DEF system was going to take a crap on him.

It's amazing to me what people voluntarily post on social media. Illegal things they own, videos of themselves driving 100MPH+ on public roads, pictures of their entire gun collection, them assaulting random people on the street, them abusing their kids or animals...

• Love
Reactions: Zorba and Wildman