VW TDI Diesel Sahara

The tdi is really compact, about 30" nose to tail so there is plenty of room for adjustment within the engine bay. I'm putting it in an LJ so have a little more driveshaft to play with.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
The tdi is really compact, about 30" nose to tail so there is plenty of room for adjustment within the engine bay. I'm putting it in an LJ so have a little more driveshaft to play with.
The LJ and moving it forward a bit should give a lot of transfer case options. I really like the idea of a doubler with something like a 4:1 Dana 300 and NP 231, kind of a best of both worlds setup. Not sure it's worth it for most people, but I love selecting the exact gearing I want. Might be a lot of work getting the shifter to shift correctly on the transmission though if it's forward.

I love the TDI Jeeps. It's what got me really looking at TJs. Looking back, I probably would have gone LJ, but it has yet to be an issue either. The wife seemed to like the idea of doing a TDI buggy, so I may figure out one of those one day. I just love those little engines, but so often I need to tow and just need a much bigger engine, even compared to my 2.8.

Just to let you know, the 2in thickness is just enough for firewall clearance on the ALH. I think I only had 1/2" to 3/4" between the firewall and vacuum pump. This would be minimum clearance for the vacumm pump removal.

The adapter is aluminum and is 2" thick, I think this is a minimum you would want to go with.

The original 4.0 clutch , flywheel, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, fork and slave cylinder are all used.
Do you have a pdf or dimensions of your adapter plate?

Thread Resurrections, Anybody know how far the trans has to move forward in the TJs? in the XJ its about 2" but I've read that with the TJs firewall shape just the adaptor is enough to give clearance.