diff fluid capacity

Neskie Crawler

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all. With the stock Dana 30 front and 35 rear, I'm looking to add skid protection and not sure on just added skid plates or new covers or a combination of both. My question is, however, I see in the catalogs the gear oil fill holes are raised higher than stock, for added fluid levels. Is this really better and makes the gears last longer and if it is true, why would the manufacturer say the proper level should be 1/2 " below the plug hole and not fill 'till it runs out unless it would just leak away especially in the Dana 35 w/rubber plug? :confused:

Reactions: Chris
Some aftermarket differential covers have higher lubricant fill holes to compensate for when the axle is rotated upward to raise its pinion angle to match the angular requirements of an aftermarket double cardan driveshaft. There's no need for that when you have a stock rear driveshaft. A stock height fill hole will be fine for your Dana 35. :)

Thanks, Jerry. This helps me out and now I will go towards the skid plate only, unless I see a combo that seems beefier for a decent price. But knowing the extra gear oil being in the diff adds no value (and kinda makes sense) gives me a more educated purchasing power. Thanks again.

Reactions: Chris