Difference between Tom Woods and JB Conversion super short SYE?

06TJ35's

TJ Addict
So I know JB conversion super short SYE is recommended on here if your planning on a tummytuck in the future but why isn’t Tom Wood super short recommended? What’s the difference between the two?
Is JB SSSYE shorter than Tom’s SSSYE?

I’m planning to order a SYE and driveshaft soon. If Tom’s SSSYE is the same as JB I would like to get both SYE kit and DS from Tom. I wouldn’t have to wait for my DS to get here I can put both the SYE and drive shaft at the same time.

If they are not the same and I order JB SSSYE kit and order a Tom Wood drive shaft
Would there be a core charge ? What’s the deal with that I don’t really understand.

I believe the one that Tom Wood sells is just a Teraflex Super Short SYE. I'm not sure if there is a very important difference between the Teraflex one and the JB one (there probably is considering Teraflex...)

Are you looking at:
http://www.4xshaft.com/SYE/JBandTeraFlexSuperShortKits.html
or
http://www.4xshaft.com/SD231.asp

Also, unless you are just getting Tom Wood to estimate driveshaft length, you are going to have to install the SYE before you order the driveshaft in order to take the required measurements.

What do you mean by core charge? As far as I know, there isn't a core for anything you are ordering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 06TJ35's
I believe the one that Tom Wood sells is just a Teraflex Super Short SYE. I'm not sure if there is a very important difference between the Teraflex one and the JB one (there probably is considering Teraflex...)

Are you looking at:
http://www.4xshaft.com/SYE/JBandTeraFlexSuperShortKits.html
or
http://www.4xshaft.com/SD231.asp

Also, unless you are just getting Tom Wood to estimate driveshaft length, you are going to have to install the SYE before you order the driveshaft in order to take the required measurements.

What do you mean by core charge? As far as I know, there isn't a core for anything you are ordering.

Yep Tom is just using the Teraflex SS kit. It is ok but not as good as JB conversions.

Reactions: JMT and 06TJ35's
I was under the impression that Tom just needed one measurement and he would send both SYE kit and driveshaft?

This is from their website
“For the SYE Kit and Drive Shaft package, we just need the length measurement.”

Measure_231L_Rear_OEM_575x140.jpg

As for the core charge I thought I read somewhere that you send your driveshaft in if not they charge you a core ? I might be wrong I can’t seem to find the page anymore.

I was under the impression that Tom just needed one measurement and he would send both SYE kit and driveshaft?

This is from their website
“For the SYE Kit and Drive Shaft package, we just need the length measurement.”

View attachment 72566

As for the core charge I thought I read somewhere that you send your driveshaft in if not they charge you a core ? I might be wrong I can’t seem to find the page anymore.

Hmm, I didn't know about Tom Wood doing that. Makes sense I guess. But you have to make sure you aren't moving your transfer case at all. If you get rid of a transfer case drop after installing an SYE, that would change things. I would tend to just get everything figured out and send them the length at the end.

In terms of the core charge, I'm not sure why they would want your old driveshaft. Considering they sell driveshafts that are completely different I would doubt that your shaft is of any use to them,

Hmm, I didn't know about Tom Wood doing that. Makes sense I guess. But you have to make sure you aren't moving your transfer case at all. If you get rid of a transfer case drop after installing an SYE, that would change things. I would tend to just get everything figured out and send them the length at the end.

In terms of the core charge, I'm not sure why they would want your old driveshaft. Considering they sell driveshafts that are completely different I would doubt that your shaft is of any use to them,

Taking your advice getting everything figured out first then send drive shaft length at the end. Ordering JB conversion sssye kit. Thank you once again.
Core charge was for tcase output shaft as jerry statedz. My fault.

Sorry to hijack but I am researching my SYE install and parts. Can I install a "super short" now and do the tuck later? Will the DS clear the stock skid? I already have a body and mml.

Yep Tom is just using the Teraflex SS kit. It is ok but not as good as JB conversions.
I'm not a fan of Tera in any regard but I've installed both and used both quite a bit and given a choice I will always pick the JB option but I can not find much difference in the two except that Tera has some QC issues from time to time. My first option would be JB due to my annoyance over having to put the bolts in the yoke before it is installed. But that is a design issue, not a performance issue.

Reactions: 06TJ35's
Sorry to hijack but I am researching my SYE install and parts. Can I install a "super short" now and do the tuck later? Will the DS clear the stock skid? I already have a body and mml.

From what I been told
Yes you you can buy super short SYE and do a Tummy tuck later. That’s what I’m going to do as well.

I'm not a fan of Tera in any regard but I've installed both and used both quite a bit and given a choice I will always pick the JB option but I can not find much difference in the two except that Tera has some QC issues from time to time. My first option would be JB due to my annoyance over having to put the bolts in the yoke before it is installed. But that is a design issue, not a performance issue.
If doing the SYE, what else do you recommend? Ive seen a few posts about the seal kit, new chain and then very few posts about upgrading to the 6 plantetary gear set up. Does that make a huge difference over the stock 3 gear?

Building my list for the SYE and control arms that Ill be ordering over the winter.
JB Conversions is top on my list with an adams shaft ( have a front adams shaft)

If doing the SYE, what else do you recommend? Ive seen a few posts about the seal kit, new chain and then very few posts about upgrading to the 6 plantetary gear set up. Does that make a huge difference over the stock 3 gear?

Building my list for the SYE and control arms that Ill be ordering over the winter.
JB Conversions is top on my list with an adams shaft ( have a front adams shaft)
If you ask about air filters, someone or several will give you a list of 50 things to upgrade, billet clamps, fancy screws, filter socks, and all manner of crap that have little to do with what an air filter actually does or where it lives. As such, I install the SYE or SSSYE, use the parts that come in the kit and done.

If you ask about air filters, someone or several will give you a list of 50 things to upgrade, billet clamps, fancy screws, filter socks, and all manner of crap that have little to do with what an air filter actually does or where it lives. As such, I install the SYE or SSSYE, use the parts that come in the kit and done.
I appreciate the straight to the point of your reply. As most people refer to you and a few others for advice and youve built some solid rigs, I wanted to get your input as there is alot of back and forth information out there on do this, do that, do the other thing.

I tried to just figure out the best option to minimize future work especially with tearing something open if that makes sense and I also want to get the best upgrades if the $$ is there so I dont go, S$%T I should have done this to start with....

I appreciate the straight to the point of your reply. As most people refer to you and a few others for advice and youve built some solid rigs, I wanted to get your input as there is alot of back and forth information out there on do this, do that, do the other thing.

I tried to just figure out the best option to minimize future work especially with tearing something open if that makes sense and I also want to get the best upgrades if the $$ is there so I dont go, S$%T I should have done this to start with....
Most TJs are owned by enthusiasts. Enthusiasts own them because they want something to continually tinker with, continually modify, and continually "upgrade". As such, if the lettering fades on one of their radiator hoses, they will replace every single part of the cooling system just to show it who is the boss. They are constantly on the look-out for anything showing signs of wear and needing replacement so they can work on the rig. Given a chance, they will suck you into the same rabbit hole of needlessly replacing crap that doesn't need it just because they can.

Solve the problem, if you don't have the problem, don't solve it.

If you really want to see how stupid and carried away folks get, find discussions about the Genright fuel pump access panel you use to cut a big ass hole in the floor over the gas tank so you can replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank. To put that in perspective, I've never seen or heard of anyone replacing a TJ fuel pump on the trail or back at camp nor do 99.99999% of Jeep owners carry a spare fuel pump. The rest of that is it took 20 years for Genright to "solve" a problem. Trust me, if this was an actual problem, the solution would have existed long ago. It isn't some miracle fucking product that only some genius at GR had the ability to come up with. Yet, if you follow the discussions, there is lots of justification to hack up the tub with "OMG! I can replace my pump on the trail now". Really fucktard, when is the last time anyone ever did that??

Most TJs are owned by enthusiasts. Enthusiasts own them because they want something to continually tinker with, continually modify, and continually "upgrade". As such, if the lettering fades on one of their radiator hoses, they will replace every single part of the cooling system just to show it who is the boss. They are constantly on the look-out for anything showing signs of wear and needing replacement so they can work on the rig. Given a chance, they will suck you into the same rabbit hole of needlessly replacing crap that doesn't need it just because they can.

Solve the problem, if you don't have the problem, don't solve it.

If you really want to see how stupid and carried away folks get, find discussions about the Genright fuel pump access panel you use to cut a big ass hole in the floor over the gas tank so you can replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank. To put that in perspective, I've never seen or heard of anyone replacing a TJ fuel pump on the trail or back at camp nor do 99.99999% of Jeep owners carry a spare fuel pump. The rest of that is it took 20 years for Genright to "solve" a problem. Trust me, if this was an actual problem, the solution would have existed long ago. It isn't some miracle fucking product that only some genius at GR had the ability to come up with. Yet, if you follow the discussions, there is lots of justification to hack up the tub with "OMG! I can replace my pump on the trail now". Really fucktard, when is the last time anyone ever did that??
Hahaha, yea Im more of a ok the noise is bad, or oh shit its taking more to start etc, lets figure out the stuff that needs fixed.

With that said, Im guessing you do recommend the JB Conversions Super Short? And is the speedo off by alot with the electronic sensor?
4.56 gears and 33's currently. I do appreciate your input.

Oh and when will your pads be back in stock lol? I have all brand new brake components to go in with longer front dorman lines but would prefer your pads over Advance or Autozone semi-metallic.

With that said, Im guessing you do recommend the JB Conversions Super Short? And is the speedo off by alot with the electronic sensor?
4.56 gears and 33's currently. I do appreciate your input.

Oh and when will your pads be back in stock lol? I have all brand new brake components to go in with longer front dorman lines but would prefer your pads over Advance or Autozone semi-metallic.
They have been in and out of stock for awhile now. We have 150 sets coming in a couple of weeks. But, they've said that before.

Speedo does what it does, fix it with a digital correction box. If you put the Tera and JB in front of me, I will always pick the JB.