Differential caps orientation question

Hhouse54

So, I replaced my axle seals. When I took out my gears from the differential these pieces circled in red fell out on the ground and now I’m not sure which side goes to which. I know the caps are super important but are these pieces just as important ? Is there a way to tell proper orientation? Any help is appreciated. TIA

ABCAF2E8-1E8E-42B0-8726-529F0F6D0F9A.jpeg

Those are shims that position the carrier left/right. It was important that you knew which shim fell off from which side. I'd take my best guess and reinstall them with the carrier then measure the backlash. If the backlash is good then you're ok. If the backlash is off you likely reversed the shim locations.

Those are shims that position the carrier left/right. It was important that you knew which shim fell off from which side. I'd take my best guess and reinstall them with the carrier then measure the backlash. If the backlash is good then you're ok. If the backlash is off you likely reversed the shim locations.
Thanks. What is the backlash suppose to be ?

I believe that if you enlarge the picture some, you'll see he is referencing the cup part of the cup and cone or race and bearing. The shims are indicated by number 3.

Those aren't shims, those are carrier bearing races. Shims are item #3 in the pic.

Ideally they should go back to the side they came from, though considering they've both spun the same amount their whole life I'm not sure how much it matters at this point.

What axle, and what year? If it's a 97-02 Dana 44, your shims should still be trapped under the bearing so your backlash shouldn't change depending on which race you put where.

I believe that if you enlarge the picture some, you'll see he is referencing the cup part of the cup and cone or race and bearing. The shims are indicated by number 3.
Yes, I didn’t think they were shims. I’m referring to the cup part

Those aren't shims, those are carrier bearing races. Shims are item #3 in the pic.

Ideally they should go back to the side they came from, though considering they've both spun the same amount their whole life I'm not sure how much it matters at this point.

What axle, and what year? If it's a 97-02 Dana 44, your shims should still be trapped under the bearing so your backlash shouldn't change depending on which race you put where.

O2 wrangler “X” model. I think it’s a Dana 30? Not 100% sure. Sorry, all of this is very new to me
whoops, I should have determined it was the front axle when you pulled your carrier to change axle seals.

Yes, that would be a Dana 30 and those have the shims trapped between the bearing and the carrier, so you did not lose any shims upon removal. Just put the cups/races back in however. There is nothing else you can do if you don't know which is which.

What axle, and what year? If it's a 97-02 Dana 44, your shims should still be trapped under the bearing so your backlash shouldn't change depending on which race you put

Yeah I was referring to the races
O2 wrangler “X” model. I think it’s a Dana 30? Not 100% sure. Sorry, all of this is very new to me.

whoops, I should have determined it was the front axle when you pulled your carrier to change axle seals.

Yes, that would be a Dana 30 and those have the shims trapped between the bearing and the carrier, so you did not lose any shims upon removal. Just put the cups/races back in however. There is nothing else you can do if you don't know which is which.
Ok, any damage it could cause if it’s not the right orientation on those ?

Bearings tend to wear into their matching race...caps holding them on need to be marked as to which side and what end is up.

Where are you in Oregon?

-Mac

My bearings were shot at 100k. You could just have a shop press new ones on the carrier. They aren't expensive and you have it out already. It's just another option, I think there is nothing wrong with guessing either. The front diff doesn't do a whole lot most of the time.

About 45 minutes west of Portland
Good wheeling thereabouts. PM me if you want my number.

I'd throw em back in and not worry too much about it. Try and find wear marks to get them back in the right spots.

I'm about to rip my 30 and 35s apart for a Super/e-locker/4.88 swap. Done Dana 50s/60/70.

-Mac