Differential covers for Dana 30

Tj04

TJ Enthusiast
Hello, I searched a on few forums for this information and couldn't find it for a Dana 30 on a TJ but did find a few things on Dana 44 tj rubicon's, which struck me is irrelevant. My apologies if I missed this when searching.

Running 30s, no lift yet, adjustable front and rear lower control arms, most of the rest is stock.

What aftermarket differential covers will fit a stock tj sport? I do plan to put a 2 or 3 lift and 31 or 32s respectively at some point. Seems a lot of them don't clear the stock track bar. I've got a moog track bar, which seems identical to the stock one I just tossed.

I like the look of the ARB cover especially since it would pair well with the ARB locker, but would like suggestions on what would clear the steering components.

Also I have a Dana 30 ARB locker in a box waiting to be installed but I assume no matter what cover, it would fit an ARB locker.

ARB's front cover is so much thicker that it often causes interference with the steering system. It may look cool but cool looking covers often cause interference issues. I like ARB's lockers but their cover is the last one I'd install.

I'd probably start with Warn's differential guard. It is strong, works extremely well, and absolutely will not interfere with your steering system. I don't run it now but I have at both ends of my couple of TJs and it works well to protect your differential.

This one. Heck I just remembered I'm still running one on the rear of my present TJ. I tossed a big heavy cast-steel cover that wouldn't seal well and replaced it with a stock cover plus this.

Warn6.jpg

Edit: I agree with @Chris below recommending the superb Barnett cover, it's what I personally run up front and it's a great cover that doesn't cause interference issues either. I just don't normally recommend it for a nearly stock Jeep as it's fairly expensive. It's what I usually recommend for high-end Jeeps though. :)

Last edited:
See this thread (it's a recent one too):
Best diff covers for clearance on Dana 44 axles?

In my opinion, the best diff cover you can get for maximum clearance and no binding on the Dana 44 axles is this one:
http://barnettperformance.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=956

That is pretty widely regarded as the best one out there. Many will speak to how well it works, including myself, @Jerry Bransford, and many others.

Realize that most of these differential covers are sold only for looks. That being said, usually the more flashy they are, the more clearance issues you'll have (especially on a Dana 44 axle).

Stay away from most of the other covers you see from the likes of Poison Spyder, ARB, etc. Those covers are known to have clearance issues and bind up, especially under full flex. You could likely avoid it to some degree, but you'd need to increase your bump stop, which you don't want to have to do just for a diff cover.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I misread. I thought you said Dana 44. Sorry!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The half guards like what Jerry pictured works fine, costs a lot less, and does not create any interference issues. I have Rugged Ridge's version on my front Dana 30. Think I paid $60 for it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
See this thread (it's a recent one too):
Best diff covers for clearance on Dana 44 axles?

In my opinion, the best diff cover you can get for maximum clearance and no binding on the Dana 44 axles is this one:
http://barnettperformance.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=956

That is pretty widely regarded as the best one out there. Many will speak to how well it works, including myself, @Jerry Bransford, and many others.

Realize that most of these differential covers are sold only for looks. That being said, usually the more flashy they are, the more clearance issues you'll have (especially on a Dana 44 axle).

Stay away from most of the other covers you see from the likes of Poison Spyder, ARB, etc. Those covers are known to have clearance issues and bind up, especially under full flex. You could likely avoid it to some degree, but you'd need to increase your bump stop, which you don't want to have to do just for a diff cover.
OP is looking for a Dana 30 application. If I were OP I would start small and build from there. Get the Warn or Rugged Ridge as suggested and have fun.

If you are looking for actual hard data. Good luck. Ballistic fab is he only company I know that goes above and beyond to provide actual hard data like actual measurements. I'll get you the measurment info tomorrow for their Dana 30 cover. And they will add it to their website.

No worries Chris. I figured you just read it fast or something.

Last edited:
Teraflex's cover seems a bit more low profile, yet beefier. Still don't know if it would clear.

Low lift, say from 0" to 2" is a special case. Last I looked into it there were only a few diff covers and two or three track bars that wouldn't cause you to bump stop for clearance.

Dana makes a heavy duty cover, I'll see if I can find a link, and if you absolutely feel the need for additional diff armor, add one of the guards mentioned or just go with the Barnett cover.

What trails are you trying to run and why do you want to go low lift?

Thanks for all the replies. Good info. I see a lot of tubular guards. Are those any good? I see a lot of mixed opinions on forums about them. I live in minnsota and we don't have much for rock crawling. I really love the look of the stock height TJs :eek: and I'd rather get a Dana 44 before I bother with lift. After the Dana 44 I'd throw some 33s and a lift.

So like poison spider ARB etcs claims that their diff covers are 'wayyyy' stronger is largely an exaggeration? How weak are the stock diff covers? Seems lots of people smash theirs. I've hit mine a few times but no peelback or any real damage. But I do plan to keep my Dana 30, unlike the 35 :flamethrower2: so I'd like to protect that as best as I can.

Reactions: Backdraft
Thanks for all the replies. Good info. I see a lot of tubular guards. Are those any good? I see a lot of mixed opinions on forums about them. I live in minnsota and we don't have much for rock crawling. I really love the look of the stock height TJs :eek: and I'd rather get a Dana 44 before I bother with lift. After the Dana 44 I'd throw some 33s and a lift.

So like poison spider ARB etcs claims that their diff covers are 'wayyyy' stronger is largely an exaggeration? How weak are the stock diff covers? Seems lots of people smash theirs. I've hit mine a few times but no peelback or any real damage. But I do plan to keep my Dana 30, unlike the 35 :flamethrower2: so I'd like to protect that as best as I can.
You really dont need the 44's unless you absolutely want them for 33's. However, it is your money and your Jeep build. But that's another thread.

Staying on topic, I belive the Warn or Rugged Ridge mentioned above is your best bet since you are not encountering major obstacles like rocks. Those claims are prob true about the beefy, thick covers when compared to the factory covers. But they are built beefy for certain condtions and you said yourself you have little rock crawling in Minn. So unless you really want them, you dont need them for now.

If you are not encountering rocks or other big obstacles, your OEM covers will suffice.

Last edited:
You really dont need the 44's unless you absolutely want them for 33's. However, it is your money and your Jeep build. But that's another thread.

Staying on topic, I belive the Warn or Rugged Ridge mentioned above is your best bet since you are not encountering major obstacles like rocks. Those claims are prob true about the beefy, thick covers when compared to the factory covers. But they are built beefy for certain condtions and you said yourself you have little rock crawling in Minn. So unless you really want them, you dont need them for now.

If you are not encountering rocks or other big obstacles, your OEM covers will suffice.
I shall look into the warn one. Doesn't seem too expensive by any means. Similar price for a cover that would take much longer to install than the guard and end up not working.

We do have rocks, big enough that I've crushed a rocker panel and damaged a control arm mount (I know, should have had a rock slider, or not done it in the first place. I do now have the sliders; Poor me.:thumbup:) but we have a lot more deep-ish water crossings and mud. Glad I extended the breathers. But the rocks aren't anywhere near as big as Moab (can't cite rubicon trail or any other major off-road trails out of state as I've only been to Moab)

I do feel the diff guard in the front is far from just a gimmick despite the moderate at best trails around here so I do want one that you guys with your serious wheeling :worship2: would genuinely trust, which seems to be the warn or Barnett or rigid ridge ones. I don't mind paying more. It may be a stock Jeep but, hey, you all had to start somewhere right? I don't want to waste any time on crap.

Any opinions on the spoke style ones with gaps in them? I haven't encountered (yet) a rock sharp enough I'd really worry about it slipping thru the spokes, however I think they look kinda dumb. Thanks guys!

If you are looking for actual hard data. Good luck. Ballistic fab is the only company I know that goes above and beyond to provide actual hard data like actual measurements. I'll get you the measurment info tomorrow for their Dana 30 cover. And they will add it to their website.

I am a man of my word. Measurable data. And I had them add it to their website. I got to brag a little.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/products/dana-30-diff-cover-welded
IMG_4952.JPG

If not the OP, I hope this helps someone with a Dana 30 looking for actual info. Not saying it is the slimmest, as I do not know what the factory cover measures. But atleast we have a measurment to start with.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Anyone happen to know the stock Dana 30's measurements to compare to the ballistic fab one? Or if those measurements would clear stock suspension? I can't believe they are the only company that has a blueprint for their product. Very cool, fouledplugs!

I found a used warn differential guard for $65 from California with no rust so I went ahead and bought it. Would it by chance offer any protection against peelback?

Thanks everyone for all the great information and useful insight.

Last edited:
I found a used warn differential guard for $65 from California with no rust so I went ahead and bought it. Would it by chance offer any protection against peelback?

Thanks everyone for all the great information and useful insight.
Not sure on peelback when it comes to your riding environment. Ive only had peelback from rocks on stock covers. One was a Dana 60 stock cover. Another was a 8.8 from years ago. Both times, from rocks.

Not sure on peelback when it comes to your riding environment. Ive only had peelback from rocks on stock covers. One was a Dana 60 stock cover. Another was a 8.8 from years ago. Both times, from rocks.

Just got my warn dana 30 guard in the mail, all bolted on. I like it. Are the torque specs for differential bolts still about 30 ft pounds or should it be more due to the differential guards thickness/weight?

This is from the PS website:

The Dana 30 Bombshell can now be used on STOCK Jeep Wrangler JK and TJ, front or rear axles, with no requirement for aftermarket track bars or suspension modifications! Now you can install the Bombshell Dana 30 Diff Cover on to your bone stock Jeep, straight off the showroom floor! This re-design also includes moving the gear oil fill hole to the stock fluid level height so there's no more research, guesswork or measuring—simply fill the diff to the level of the fill hole.

This is from the PS website:

The Dana 30 Bombshell can now be used on STOCK Jeep Wrangler JK and TJ, front or rear axles, with no requirement for aftermarket track bars or suspension modifications! Now you can install the Bombshell Dana 30 Diff Cover on to your bone stock Jeep, straight off the showroom floor! This re-design also includes moving the gear oil fill hole to the stock fluid level height so there's no more research, guesswork or measuring—simply fill the diff to the level of the fill hole.

Very cool! Glad they addressed the previous issues they had. I never ran one personally, but I know some people who did (granted this was years and years ago) and they said they had all sorts of clearance issues with them.

Either way, I'm glad they fixed it!