Differential Fluid Change Question

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

I am about to change my front and rear differential fluids.

I have a TJ 2004 2.4 with dana 30 and dana 35.
I am going to use Mopar Axle Lubricant 80W-90 MS-9020 + Mopar Limited Slip Additive.

My question is if you have any recommendations about the RTV SILICONE that I should use to seal the covers. Should I use anything specific? Or anything would be appropriate?

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

Hey! Thanks for the answers.

Which Permatex RTV Silicone would be the best choice? Which colour Permatex is the better option as a sealant for the front and rear differential covers?

Hey! Thanks for the answers.

Which Permatex RTV Silicone would be the best choice? Which colour Permatex is the better option as a sealant for the front and rear differential covers?
Mopar RTV is the best, especially when both surfaces are oily to begin with, followed by Permatex Gear Oil RTV, followed by Permatex Ultra-Black. Those three are the most resistant to gear oil which is pretty harsh on RTVs.

Reactions: TJim
Mopar RTV is the best, especially when both surfaces are oily to begin with, followed by Permatex Gear Oil RTV, followed by Permatex Ultra-Black. Those three are the most resistant to gear oil which is pretty harsh on RTVs.

1) https://www.ato24.de/en/mopar-rtv-sealing-silicon-85-g.html

2) https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker/

3) https://www.permatex.com/products/g...m-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/

Those are the 3 options you suggested right? Just to be sure.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hey Guys!
I have one more question!

I am going to do a full drain and fill of both the front and rear axle fluids (I bought this TJ last year and I do not know when and IF the Previous Owner had performed a fluid change. As I mentioned in the first post, I am going to use Mopar Axle Lubricant 80W-90 MS-9020 + Mopar Limited Slip Additive.

My Question is:
Is there a "proper interval" someone should change his differential fluids? (No Towing, Not very hard off roading)

The manual recommends fluid changes every 12,000 miles, which is about every 4th oil change, or about once a year for a moderately driven daily driver.

I concur with the 12,000 mile recommendation. I found it interesting though how that was only on the "Service Maintenance Schedule B" (severe driving conditions). Under normal conditions (Schedule A) there is no mileage recommendation for axle fluid changes....:oops:

A lot of manufacturers are moving towards "fill for life"...

Heck the new F150s have a 150,000 mile differential fluid interval front and rear

Once a year should be fine unless you go swimming with your rig and get water in it. If your vent hose is high and dry, brief water exposure should not be a concern. As a learning curve came into play, I have been inside my differentials a few times in two years, for seals, clutches or gears etc. Naturally a thorough cleaning and new oil each time. I used the Lube Locker gaskets and they have paid for themselves already. On my next TJ, if it's past is unknown, I will immediately inspect and rebuild both differentials, all axles/gears/clutches and bits all at once as initial maintenance. For me, the wrenching work is as big a pleasure as driving it. I get excited when a friends Jeep breaks or leaks because I get to get greasy.

What is the lube of choice? i need to service mine and would like to know what the best is? I have been told y a shop that on my 04 Rubi I do not need a separate limited slip additive and that most good diff lubes already have a limited slip additive in them.