Dilemma with Suspension Lift

c_bronson

I've had my mind set for months now that I was going to get the Currie 4" Short Arm lift for my 1999 Jeep TJ Sahara. I already got and installed a 1.25 Savvy Body Lift and 1" MML. However, the guy I had do a custom roof rack (not on in the pictures) for my Jeep is a vendor for Metalcloak and said he could order their 3.5" lift for me minus tax and shipping cost. This threw a kink in things as far as my ultimate decision. I'm not here to revive the well-beaten horse of Metalcloak vs. Currie. My main question is how many of you would go for this deal? I am on the road to running 35s. Metalcloaks lift is advertised as a 3.5" which would put my total lift height at 4.75 instead of 5.25 with the Currie 4''. Is that enough to make it not worth it? I have the stock Sahara fenders on the jeep and plan to keep it that way.

IMG_6589.jpg
IMG_6591.jpg

I wouldn't install an MC lift if it were free, their claims are smoke and mirrors in my personal opinion. You cannot beat Currie or Savvy's suspensions in their price range.
I had a feeling you'd say that. I appreciate it Jerry. I was leaning that way but started doubting when I saw the MC came with shocks for around the same price as the Curry without. What shocks would you best recommend for that Currie lift?

I've had my mind set for months now that I was going to get the Currie 4" Short Arm lift for my 1999 Jeep TJ Sahara. I already got and installed a 1.25 Savvy Body Lift and 1" MML. However, the guy I had do a custom roof rack (not on in the pictures) for my Jeep is a vendor for Metalcloak and said he could order their 3.5" lift for me minus tax and shipping cost. This threw a kink in things as far as my ultimate decision. I'm not here to revive the well-beaten horse of Metalcloak vs. Currie. My main question is how many of you would go for this deal? I am on the road to running 35s. Metalcloaks lift is advertised as a 3.5" which would put my total lift height at 4.75 instead of 5.25 with the Currie 4''. Is that enough to make it not worth it? I have the stock Sahara fenders on the jeep and plan to keep it that way.

View attachment 170545View attachment 170546
That's one clean TJ you have there! (y)

Reactions: c_bronson
I just finished installing the Savvy/currie setup and think that it is great. Super high quality in all regards. Just a heads up - I have Savvy bl and currie MML and 33s right now and very close in several places at full bump, full lock in front and with my flares front and rear. To go 35s I would need different flares, front fenders or both. Dont know that yours will be the same just be aware. I have tummy tuck which made for some rear track bar issues as well. I knew this going in so was mentally prepared to have to have to deal with them.

20200614_181424.jpg

I wouldn't run the Metalcloak springs. I hear they like lots of weight and aren't the best for street driven vehicles.

Given the choice, I'd go with the Currie lift without a doubt. That's my opinion, and it doesn't mean it's the right one, but take that for what it is (y)

View attachment 170545View attachment 170546
If you were set on Savvy I’d stay with that. It’s your rig and you need to build it the way you really want it and not cut corners. You won’t be happy if you do and you’ll end up doing it over. 4.75” is ok for 35’s but you’ll have to bumpstop accordingly. 5.25” is better, of course.

Great looking wheels. They remind me of some Enkei’s I had on an 87 Mustang. Always thought they looked awesome. Who makes those wheels?

4” Currie lift, 1.25” Savvy BL, 1” BrownDog MML, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, and 35s. I can’t say anything about MC as have not experienced it but can tell you I’m happy with this setup and ride. Being able to adjust both anti-rock and shocks to get ride where want it is nice.

D3EC9D73-4413-4527-A741-D355A7C09B3E.jpeg

I've been running Metalcloak for 7+ years now, on two different Jeeps. It has performed well for the type of wheeling I've done. Is it the best SA out there, no. Is it the worst SA out there, no. The main problems I've had/seen with their setup is in the springs and front track bar. The springs work extremely well at full droop, but sacrifice up travel. This is evidenced by the fact that you have to run more bumpstop, primarily in the rear.

Also, as was mentioned, the springs tend to ride much better on an LJ, due to the extra weight, than they do on a TJ. When I ran the MC springs on my TJ, I had to balance them with a softer shock, i.e. OME Nitrocharger. Even then the ride was a little to firm for my liking. With respect to the front track bar, it provided excellent clearance for aftermarket front differential covers, but MC used a heim joint end, which I now have to replace, due to premature wear. On the positive side, MC has provided outstanding customer service.

In the end, you have to pick what works for you and your budget. As I said before, MC isn't the best, but they're far from the worst. Ultimately, if your mind is set on Currie, go that route and don't look back!

FWIW, the first picture shows the stance of the MC lift on my LJ. The second gives you an idea of what the springs look like extended. The third shows the MC stance on my former TJ.

JNuTZVt.jpg

zRa5QgQ.jpg

N51toUM.jpg

I wouldn't run the Metalcloak springs. I hear they like lots of weight and aren't the best for street driven vehicles.

Given the choice, I'd go with the Currie lift without a doubt. That's my opinion, and it doesn't mean it's the right one, but take that for what it is (y)
Chris if I saw correctly, you've run this setup before with Rubicon/Sahara flares. Did you ever run 35s? Did they rub?

I just finished installing the Savvy/currie setup and think that it is great. Super high quality in all regards. Just a heads up - I have Savvy bl and currie MML and 33s right now and very close in several places at full bump, full lock in front and with my flares front and rear. To go 35s I would need different flares, front fenders or both. Dont know that yours will be the same just be aware. I have tummy tuck which made for some rear track bar issues as well. I knew this going in so was mentally prepared to have to have to deal with them.

View attachment 170610
Thanks for the heads up! This is exactly what I've been worried about.

If you were set on Savvy I’d stay with that. It’s your rig and you need to build it the way you really want it and not cut corners. You won’t be happy if you do and you’ll end up doing it over. 4.75” is ok for 35’s but you’ll have to bumpstop accordingly. 5.25” is better, of course.

Great looking wheels. They remind me of some Enkei’s I had on an 87 Mustang. Always thought they looked awesome. Who makes those wheels?

Thanks! They came stock on my '99 Sahara but I love them also! They are a big reason I haven't gotten aftermarket ones because I love these a lot. I know @Chris has a right up on what came on the Jeeps from the factory but I forget who made these.

4” Currie lift, 1.25” Savvy BL, 1” BrownDog MML, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, and 35s. I can’t say anything about MC as have not experienced it but can tell you I’m happy with this setup and ride. Being able to adjust both anti-rock and shocks to get ride where want it is nice.

View attachment 170651
Do you feel like your 35s fit okay under there? You have the same fenders flares so I was curious if you have any troubles with rubbing?

Separate from any design and quality complaints, Metalcloak has a design philosophy that is evidenced by their springs. Their design focuses on down travel at the expense of up travel. If a balanced build is one that divides the shock travel in half, then Metalcloak does not result in a balanced build.

Do you feel like your 35s fit okay under there? You have the same fenders flares so I was curious if you have any troubles with rubbing?

Flares are not a meaningful point of interference. You need to focus on sheetmetal.

I’m happy with the fit but haven’t pushed it at all yet as have only had setup together a few weeks. All I can say is that no issues on windy subpar MO county roads.

Does the Savvy/Currie lift come with the bracket extensions for the rear shocks? From what I see on Savvys site it doesn't but they really don't offer much in way of pictures or description of the product.

Does the Savvy/Currie lift come with the bracket extensions for the rear shocks? From what I see on Savvys site it doesn't but they really don't offer much in way of pictures or description of the product.

No, it’s just the springs unless you do some other full kit (which I wouldn’t bother with myself).