Dirt bike suggestions

One thing to consider is the amount of preventive maintenance needed on the newer 4 strokes, I had a 2017 KTM SXF 350 that was IMHO was easer to ride than a 450 but was still scary fast. I installed a Rekluse clutch in it that made it a joy to ride.

If you can find a nice one a Honda XR400 is a great bike. Not stupid fast but very torquey and probably the most reliable dirt bike/atv engine ever made. Great for offroading and technical sections. Stay away from two strokes unless you're into racing or dunes.

KDX 200/220.
XR400
Knowing that you are a pretty boy and need the shiniest stuff, KTM XC350 if you want a 4T. The 300XCW posted above is the tits. Or get an SX250 and put the 300 kit on it.

The KTM XC and EXC models will have steel valves etc. and won't require the high maintenance the SX motocross bikes do.
Also the EXC & XC have heavier fly wheels. They won't be as abrupt with the power but still haul ass!

Reactions: Chris
Chris, go find yourself a nice KTM 350/500 EXC/XCWF OR Husky or a Beta 500. Super capable for any dirt situation you can throw at them, and even somewhat pleasant for short road jaunts. Bonus that they are super easy to ride and not overwhelming at all (unlike a 450 racebike) AZ is super easy to plate, so try to find an XCWF model vs an EXC, more so because the XCW version is not bogged down with emission crap. Nothing wrong with the EXCs, you just have to remove stuff and throw a power commander at it to make it run with the XCWs.
Personally, I switched over to 2 strokes a few yrs ago and wont be looking back. I still have a desmogged 2018 500 EXC that I use for dual sport usage, but my 21 300 XCW TPI is my first pick every time. Living above 6000ft, I had to add an aftermarket head and PC to get it to have the same feel/power as a carbed model, but thats mainly because I ride above 9000/10000ft. Fuel injected 2 strokes are still new to the market, but they are proving themselves just as reliable as their 4 stroke brothers. Earlier models did have some hiccups that are seemingly cured with the later ones. Mine has been stellar so far with just about 80hrs on the clock. Easily recommend one.
Its still not wrong to buy a 4 stroke, they are equally as nice, just dont ride a buddies 2 stroke and you'll be fine

I also highly recommend a trials bike, they are just silly fun

Y+XLTZ+bToCWWxYDlaYu+A.jpg
Ld6p2507RemlUjeyLkBPOw.jpg
XCFIVxeQSi286brOVDjPOg.jpg
AvoWomucTcqtHCSMjleJcA.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up buying a 2018 KTM 450 SX-F with only 13 hours on it. Looks brand new basically. So far I am absolutely loving this thing. Got it for a mere $6000 too!

27E1502E-9031-4A55-B3EE-9A7AE7982398.jpeg

I wanted the SX-F since it will never see the road and I really like how friggin’ light this thing is. It’s almost unreal coming from street bikes.

Ended up buying a 2018 KTM 450 SX-F with only 13 hours on it. Looks brand new basically. So far I am absolutely loving this thing. Got it for a mere $6000 too!

View attachment 275946

I wanted the SX-F since it will never see the road and I really like how friggin’ light this thing is. It’s almost unreal coming from street bikes.
Congrats. @Chris that's a great bike ! I am a 2 stroke guy, But I hear nothing but good about KTM !
Have Fun and Ride somewhat sane !:p

Congrats. @Chris that's a great bike ! I am a 2 stroke guy, But I hear nothing but good about KTM !
Have Fun and Ride somewhat sane !:p
I’m just looking to trail ride, not really planning on catching lots of air or anything. It just allows me access to areas where I couldn’t get to in any vehicle.

Reactions: ColoJeep
The blue dot is my house, east of my house (5 minutes from my front door) is state land for as far as the eye can see. Nothing except mountains, mountains, and more mountains.

I literally live in paradise for off-roading 😆

322B21B7-36F8-4E70-BF94-DC11C993FC0C.jpeg

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Will do! This is my first dirt bike ever (been riding street bikes for 20 years though) and I am asking myself why I didn’t buy one sooner. What a hoot!
Easily 10 times more fun !
And you don't constantly have to be watching out for the asshat texting and rear ending you at a stop light!

Easily 10 times more fun !
And you don't constantly have to be watching out for the asshat texting and rear ending you at a stop light!
Right? That’s why I got away from street bikes. It’s just too dangerous these days with all the morons texting and driving. The older I get, the more I find I don’t like being confined to roads and pavement.

Don’t forget to wear it. My stupidity has ended at the hospital via ambulance, seems like fun having a bunch of female nurses strip you until it’s not.
Absolutely! One thing I that always stuck with me from street bikes was to always wear my gear. I always see those guys here in Arizona who ride without helmets (legal here) and I am in disbelief anyone could be so stupid. I mean a helmet should be worn no matter what, even if you’re not going to wear the rest of it.