Dirt bike suggestions

Absolutely! One thing I that always stuck with me from street bikes was to always wear my gear. I always see those guys here in Arizona who ride without helmets (legal here) and I am in disbelief anyone could be so stupid. I mean a helmet should be worn no matter what, even if you’re not going to wear the rest of it.
Pretty sure my chest protector kept me from a wheelchair in another incident. Be safe out there.

Reactions: Wildman and Chris
And. My BIL Road the track for the last 20 years. Always a top gear owner, even has the pro setup with his helmet and neck bracing.

At 16, get off at 60’ jump, 18 pins and 12 screws to put his foot back on.

Lots of ribs and shoulders.

This last few years, broke his femur and collar bone. He’s 38 and walks like a old man.

Chris I say this to you to not rain your new bike. That’s one awesome and powerful machine. KTM makes awesome bikes!

Just be aware, off-road on a bike happens a LOT faster than anything you experienced before. You know slow roll throttle, use it. Don’t ride alone. Be safe!

Remember, they bike has enough horsepower and suspension to let pros go to limits we can’t imagine. Don’t use it like that, I know you had super bikes and cars, this is a different animal.

Be safe my friend.

Absolutely! One thing I that always stuck with me from street bikes was to always wear my gear. I always see those guys here in Arizona who ride without helmets (legal here) and I am in disbelief anyone could be so stupid. I mean a helmet should be worn no matter what, even if you’re not going to wear the rest of it.

I know it's not a good arguement but I don't wear a helmet when I'm in states that don't require it. But in my line of thinking it's cause I'm on my Harley. Yep I know I can crash just as easy on it as I could on any other bike.
On my sportbikes I always wore full gear. Same on my quad and wore a helmet in my SXS. But I don't drive as aggressive on my Harley so that is my justification. Now I don't harass anyone who does as that is their choice.

IMG_2568.jpg

South Dakota.... No helmet.

@Chris looks like a fun bike. I had a crf450r for a long time but ended up selling it last year. The FIL bought the kids a cheap Chinese quad so following them with a bike that didn't have a kickstand got old quick. I recently picked up an LTZ400, quad, to fill the void of the bike for a few years until the kids can ride without needing my assistance every other minute.

I can't wait to get back on a bike though. Next time I'll likely go with a dual sport, aimed more at dirt, like a crf450l or a KTM.
20210729_181105.jpg

I know it's not a good arguement but I don't wear a helmet when I'm in states that don't require it. But in my line of thinking it's cause I'm on my Harley. Yep I know I can crash just as easy on it as I could on any other bike.
On my sportbikes I always wore full gear. Same on my quad and wore a helmet in my SXS. But I don't drive as aggressive on my Harley so that is my justification. Now I don't harass anyone who does as that is their choice.

View attachment 275987

South Dakota.... No helmet.
You’ve never had a huge rock get kicked up and hit you in the head? I have, more times than I can count. Thank goodness I had a helmet on because I’m sure it would have caused me to wreck otherwise.

Reactions: Rick Flair
You’ve never had a huge rock get kicked up and hit you in the head? I have, more times than I can count. Thank goodness I had a helmet on because I’m sure it would have caused me to wreck otherwise.

Nope but had some huge bugs hit me. Remember I'm riding a couch and have a nice windscreen. But it's got a 117" engine on it too so don't think I don't have some FUN with it. I sling it into the corners and push it pretty hard sometimes.

20190907_123604.jpg

20190907_123618.jpg

@Chris looks like a fun bike. I had a crf450r for a long time but ended up selling it last year. The FIL bought the kids a cheap Chinese quad so following them with a bike that didn't have a kickstand got old quick. I recently picked up an LTZ400, quad, to fill the void of the bike for a few years until the kids can ride without needing my assistance every other minute.

I can't wait to get back on a bike though. Next time I'll likely go with a dual sport, aimed more at dirt, like a crf450l or a KTM. View attachment 275992
Funny you mention the kickstand. It was driving me nuts not having one so I ordered a bolt on kickstand the other day. Should help!

My wife has one of those Chinese quads, it’s actually quite nice for the money:

0A0128E9-6BCB-4188-9E83-CE6F61E63CE7.jpeg

Damn, Chris, going balls out with a fofatty for your first bike. That bike is slick, it'll have way more power than you'll ever know what to do with, and will get you in trouble if you aren't paying attention.
You need to send your suspension off, before you buy any stupid "look at me" parts, get your suspension done.

If you want a boot suggestion, I always like the Gaerne boots over aplinestars, both are excellent, I just preferred the Gaerne. The SG-12 is an awesome boot and $100 less than what you are looking at. The SG-10/GX-1 boots are just as good and a bit more affordable. Even the cheaper line of Alpinestar boots will be more than enough for you.

Have you looked at helmets? You need to try them on and see what feels best, this is one area I would say spend the money on a quality helmet. I always had Bell, Troy Lee, or Shoei helmets, all great, depends what you want to spend. Thor/Fox/FLy all are good, but you can tell a big difference in comfort and quality.

I know you love amazon, but these places have some good deals some times.
https://www.denniskirk.com/dirt-bikehttps://www.motosport.com/
This used to be an awesome forum, I haven't been on it in a long time. Broken pelvis, ribs, shoulder really stopped my mx/gncc riding.
https://ktmtalk.com/

Nope but had some huge bugs hit me. Remember I'm riding a couch and have a nice windscreen. But it's got a 117" engine on it too so don't think I don't have some FUN with it. I sling it into the corners and push it pretty hard sometimes.

View attachment 276021

View attachment 276022
Went and picked myself up a new toy a little while back...it's been 2.5 years since I sold my street glide, I love this road glide.
1631283150597.jpeg

Damn, Chris, going balls out with a fofatty for your first bike. That bike is slick, it'll have way more power than you'll ever know what to do with, and will get you in trouble if you aren't paying attention.
You need to send your suspension off, before you buy any stupid "look at me" parts, get your suspension done.

If you want a boot suggestion, I always like the Gaerne boots over aplinestars, both are excellent, I just preferred the Gaerne. The SG-12 is an awesome boot and $100 less than what you are looking at. The SG-10/GX-1 boots are just as good and a bit more affordable. Even the cheaper line of Alpinestar boots will be more than enough for you.

Have you looked at helmets? You need to try them on and see what feels best, this is one area I would say spend the money on a quality helmet. I always had Bell, Troy Lee, or Shoei helmets, all great, depends what you want to spend. Thor/Fox/FLy all are good, but you can tell a big difference in comfort and quality.

This used to be an awesome forum, I haven't been on it in a long time. Broken pelvis, ribs, shoulder really stopped my mx/gncc riding.
Dennis Kirk is about an hour away from me but I buy most of my gear at, but it's only 15 minutes from me.

https://www.bobscycle.com/?gclid=Cj...QQNHfS0ESb7XZIZ5xXzrkwklrjnWxEVhoCfaoQAvD_BwE

Went and picked myself up a new toy a little while back...it's been 2.5 years since I sold my street glide, I love this road glide.
View attachment 276027

Once you've ridden a Road Glide you'll never switch.
I'm on my 4th Road Glide.

My current one is a CVO and I'm spoiled now.

I ended up going with this helmet:

https://www.speedaddicts.com/motorcycle/suomy-mx-jump-kubik-helmet
Suomy is a brand I've used for about 15 years when I was riding sport bikes. Made in Italy, and they fit my head absolutely perfect. It helps that the graphics are cool too!

I ended up picking up the Alpinestars Tech 10 boots. I didn't need such expensive boots, but I'll only live once!

In regards to the suspension, it's funny you mention that. I am planning to take the bike into a local guy here who specializes in suspension for these things. I'm going to have him set it up just to my liking. I've actually done this with every motorcycle I've owned as it makes a huge difference and is something people far to often overlook.

This 450 is nice. Not only does it have traction control, it also has throttle maps. One of them tames the thing so much that you won't believe you're riding a 450. The other one is just wide open with no restrictions. I've tried it on both and the latter has more power than I'll ever need.

Not looking to catch any real air with this thing (maybe a foot or two). I mostly just want it for trail riding and accessing places that even a Jeep couldn't go. That and it will cover ground a lot faster than the Jeep which means I can explore things easier.

I ended up going with this helmet:

https://www.speedaddicts.com/motorcycle/suomy-mx-jump-kubik-helmet
Suomy is a brand I've used for about 15 years when I was riding sport bikes. Made in Italy, and they fit my head absolutely perfect. It helps that the graphics are cool too!

I ended up picking up the Alpinestars Tech 10 boots. I didn't need such expensive boots, but I'll only live once!

In regards to the suspension, it's funny you mention that. I am planning to take the bike into a local guy here who specializes in suspension for these things. I'm going to have him set it up just to my liking. I've actually done this with every motorcycle I've owned as it makes a huge difference and is something people far to often overlook.

This 450 is nice. Not only does it have traction control, it also has throttle maps. One of them tames the thing so much that you won't believe you're riding a 450. The other one is just wide open with no restrictions. I've tried it on both and the latter has more power than I'll ever need.

Not looking to catch any real air with this thing (maybe a foot or two). I mostly just want it for trail riding and accessing places that even a Jeep couldn't go. That and it will cover ground a lot faster than the Jeep which means I can explore things easier.
You're going to love it, I miss riding in the dirt. I raced MX for a long time, then started doing GNCC and hare scrambles, the hare scrambles are a blast, plus you don't have to wait around all day for you moto like MX. Either 2 or 3hrs at once and you are done, watch out for trees though, that's how I broke my thumb were the ligament attaches. I hit the same tree...twice on a 12 mile loop, I actually broke it the first time, but the second time is when hit my ribs the second time and called it a day.
All fun though, dirt bikes are a blast.

Congrats on the new bike, that is a nice one.

I have the bike bug again too. I haven't ridden in about 18 years. I think I want a dual sport, something like a CRF300L Rally.
View attachment 276054
I wanted the non rally version of that but couldn't locate one to buy so I went CRF250F (cause I could buy one) for now.

I wanted the non rally version of that but couldn't locate one to buy so I went CRF250F (cause I could buy one) for now.
I'm anticipating having to travel to get one.

I will have to commute about 45 miles for my semi-retirement job, so I figured I would get the Rally and commute on it when the weather is good in Oregon. I'm going to miss the free work car.