Discouraged

LOL the only reason we own our 2005 LJR is because of the "dreaded" PCM issue. P.O. traded it in throwing CELs, and we stole it from the dealership. A $595 PCM later (which the dealership footed, not us) and we have the greatest Jeep ever made.

In terms of price, ease of replacement, and availability of good parts, this is way overblown. There are much, MUCH worse problems you could have. Every 6.0L Ford Powerstroke made in the 2000s had two ticking time bombs: the high pressure oil pump and the EGR coolant system (which had a coolant passage it would corrode into, instantly turning your truck into a crop duster). Each of them were engine teardowns with $2000+ repairs.

PCMs are child's play.

But yes, I get what you're saying. The 05-06 is just a trigger point for me, only because I've owned two of them without issue and know many others who have as well.
Sometimes it helps to get out of our own skin. I've known at least three with the OPDA issues that required engine rebuilds under warranty that failed later and one of them is on his 3rd rebuild. He is also on ROF if you want to verify.

That said, I'd trade two rust buckets for one 05-06 with a bad PCM and no OPDA. I know I can fix those in a few minutes.

I have a 2003 TJ Rubicon manual and an 06 TJ Rubicon Auto , I like them both . The PCM issues are overblown, a nice TJ is a nice TJ.

The above 3 posts are excellent. We do pcm problems like crossword puzzles on here .

True Story-
I used to worry terribly until I asked for divine intervention-

And that answer was - “no Andy, I want take away your worry , because I’m not doing it ....you are”. Ouch.

So I learned not to worry about a possible flat tire for instance...to think about having a jack that works , making sure the rim fits the vehicle, the spare has air , the lug wrench fits the lugs.

PCM failures happen , get fixed and life goes on . A set of tires cost more and they are guaranteed to wear out - but no one fears that . Think about it .

PCM failures happen , get fixed and life goes on . A set of tires cost more and they are guaranteed to wear out - but no one fears that . Think about it .

That worry and fear of things directs a lot of folks to choices that sound good but don't really make sense. Like picking a locker because it doesn't have an air or electrical line or wire going to it because it will get snagged or adds complexity. The vehicle is full of stuff that you don't want snagged, it is protected and up out of the way for most of it. What is so hard about following those examples and protecting and tying up another air line or wire? As for complexity, it is already so complex that cutting a single wire of which there are many will render the vehicle fully inoperable. 1 or 2 more to run a locker is a miniscule increase in complexity and if that is too complex for you, maybe the TJ is as well.

I have a client with the best answer I've seen. He has the 05-06. He bought the wranglerfix solution, it was tested, run and now is in the vehicle full time. The perfectly working original is on the shelf as a spare should the day ever come that the one in the vehicle dies.

That worry and fear of things directs a lot of folks to choices that sound good but don't really make sense. Like picking a locker because it doesn't have an air or electrical line or wire going to it because it will get snagged or adds complexity. The vehicle is full of stuff that you don't want snagged, it is protected and up out of the way for most of it. What is so hard about following those examples and protecting and tying up another air line or wire? As for complexity, it is already so complex that cutting a single wire of which there are many will render the vehicle fully inoperable. 1 or 2 more to run a locker is a miniscule increase in complexity and if that is too complex for you, maybe the TJ is as well.

I have a client with the best answer I've seen. He has the 05-06. He bought the wranglerfix solution, it was tested, run and now is in the vehicle full time. The perfectly working original is on the shelf as a spare should the day ever come that the one in the vehicle dies.
How cool is this.

The helping hand we need is at the end of our own arm sometimes.

LOL the only reason we own our 2005 LJR is because of the "dreaded" PCM issue. P.O. traded it in throwing CELs, and we stole it from the dealership. A $595 PCM later (which the dealership footed, not us) and we have the greatest Jeep ever made.

In terms of price, ease of replacement, and availability of good parts, this is way overblown. There are much, MUCH worse problems you could have. Every 6.0L Ford Powerstroke made in the 2000s had two ticking time bombs: the high pressure oil pump and the EGR coolant system (which had a coolant passage it would corrode into, instantly turning your truck into a crop duster). Each of them were engine teardowns with $2000+ repairs.

PCMs are child's play.

By any chance, was the check engine light coming on with the P0122 (TPS) code?
Just curious because my 05 LJR likes to keep throwing that code even though I've replaced the sensor twice.

By any chance, was the check engine light coming on with the P0122 (TPS) code?
Just curious because my 05 LJR likes to keep throwing that code even though I've replaced the sensor twice.

Mine was apparently all oxygen sensor-related. They would replace the sensors, clear the codes, then the codes would immediately come back.

I’m not sure about the throttle position sensor error, but since it seems that a lot of people feel like the PCM issues are related to physical wiring connections that deteriorate over time, it would make sense that if you keep replacing a part — but keep getting the error code — it might be your PCM.

Mine was apparently all oxygen sensor-related. They would replace the sensors, clear the codes, then the codes would immediately come back.

I’m not sure about the throttle position sensor error, but since it seems that a lot of people feel like the PCM issues are related to physical wiring connections that deteriorate over time, it would make sense that if you keep replacing a part — but keep getting the error code — it might be your PCM.
What finally cleared yours sir?

Y'all remember , everything is connected on these , you can't separate the mind and body so to speak , electronic s wise

I agree not to worry. However, the Wranglerfix has not been around very long and most don't know about it yet. Bad news travels faster than good.

The OPDA is very, very easily addressed (as long as you check it before it fails),

Concerning the OPDA, should I check it (120k, no issues)? I'm afraid that when I reinstall it, it won't be in the exact same position, which will then cause undue wear.

Yea, I'm thinking about the PCM because when I cleared the code with the code reader, there was no change in how the transmission shifted. Then when the light came back on, I cleared the code by disconnecting the battery, and the transmission shifted a lot smoother into 1st and 2nd gear. I don't know, could just be a coincidence. Lol

Yea, I'm thinking about the PCM because when I cleared the code with the code reader, there was no change in how the transmission shifted. Then when the light came back on, I cleared the code by disconnecting the battery, and the transmission shifted a lot smoother into 1st and 2nd gear. I don't know, could just be a coincidence. Lol
That does sound like the PCM.

Concerning the OPDA, should I check it (120k, no issues)? I'm afraid that when I reinstall it, it won't be in the exact same position, which will then cause undue wear.
I don't think there is any risk of additional wear due to the position of the OPDA. It isn't adjustable in any way that would change the gear mesh as far as I know.

I don't think there is any risk of additional wear due to the position of the OPDA. It isn't adjustable in any way that would change the gear mesh as far as I know.
At what point is it too late. Hearing it, or having actual engine problems?
I have a new Crown on the shelf. Should I just go ahead and change it?

At what point is it too late. Hearing it, or having actual engine problems?
I have a new Crown on the shelf. Should I just go ahead and change it?
Wear on the gear is the problem. In my opinion if you are starting to wear those gears you waited to long. You can always test the one you have and see if it spins free but I don't see the point in waiting. Most of the time when you hear it the damage is already done. I get why you wouldn't want to do the job, you probably need to swap the sensor and you might get codes but for me the alternative seems a bit worse. Honestly I don't know, plenty of people never have problems. All I know is once you hear it you're not going to like what you find.