Discouraged

Ricochet22

I just recently bought a TJ. It was just what I was looking for, low miles (only 64k), unmolested-stock, hard top, 4.0, and automatic. It is an X, but has A/C and tilt wheel, and is really clean. I had heard about the rust issues so I checked for that. It is a CA jeep and has zero rust. I thought I was very lucky to get it, as the seller had about 6 other serious buyers. I had to drive it 135 miles to get it home and everything was fine, and I am a very happy camper. But..... it is a 2005, and since I have been on this forum I now know about the PCM problems. I had no idea that there could be 2 model years with automatic transmission that should be avoided. I realize now I should have been on this forum before buying. When I bought this jeep I could not have been happier, but I admit now I am a little discouraged, and thinking about the dreaded PCM issue that I have read so much about.

I have a 2001 and I bought it knowing it needed a new rear main seal and had the potential to have a cracked cylinder head in the future. I replaced the rear main seal and, after an oil analysis, found that there is zero coolant in the oil or engine. So, just enjoy it and look to head off any problems that you could resolve now.

Reactions: bromel
My ‘06 started getting the hard shifts which is a sign for PCM problems. I put a @Wranglerfix PCM almost 600 miles/1-1/2 months ago and haven’t had any more issues. It’s a supper easy replacement too. 10 minutes tops.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Rcroane
The 05-06 thing is so friggin' blown out of proportion I think I'm going to write a sticky on it and put it in the TJ Resources sub-forum so that people can understand once and for all that there is no reason whatsoever to avoid an 05-06. The OPDA is very, very easily addressed (as long as you check it before it fails), and the potential shift issue is few and far between. Not to mention IF you develop the shift issue, @Wranglerfix has the fix!

Lastly, I've owned TWO 2005 models and never had an issue with either, both of which were automatics.

Lastly, I've owned TWO 2005 models and never had an issue with either, both of which were automatics.

And I can personally confirm that at least one of them is still issue free.

If I had the choice between 2 identical Jeeps for the same price one being a 2004 and the other being a 2005 (like if I was buying new off the lot) I'd go with the 2004. Aside from that, it's not something that keeps me up at night.

Reactions: rasband and Chris
The 05-06 thing is so friggin' blown out of proportion I think I'm going to write a sticky on it and put it in the TJ Resources sub-forum so that people can understand once and for all that there is no reason whatsoever to avoid an 05-06. The OPDA is very, very easily addressed (as long as you check it before it fails), and the potential shift issue is few and far between. Not to mention IF you develop the shift issue, @Wranglerfix has the fix!

Instead of making a sticky about how people shouldn't avoid 05-06 why don't you consider making the thread about all the quirks and fixes for every year for potential buyers. They all have their issues, heater switches, cracking heads, gas fill problems and all. That way people can see that every year has ups and downs and what the fixes are. I'm sure 05-06 would be a useful start but covering all the models might be generally more useful.

I just think making a thread about the 05-06, listing all the problems specific to it and saying look at all these things, cheap fixes, no problem. That isn't exactly going to help the 05-06 perception, like why do you need a thread to list 05-06 problems and fixes? A general list showing that all models have quirks might?

Not suggesting doing anymore than you already talked about, just maybe title it generally year specific buyers guide and write exactly what was on your mind about 05-06.

Reactions: Mr. Bills and StG58
Instead of making a sticky about how people shouldn't avoid 05-06 why don't you consider making the thread about all the quirks and fixes for every year for potential buyers. They all have their issues, heater switches, cracking heads, gas fill problems and all. That way people can see that every year has ups and downs and what the fixes are. I'm sure 05-06 would be a useful start but covering all the models might be generally more useful.

I just think making a thread about the 05-06, listing all the problems specific to it and saying look at all these things, cheap fixes, no problem. That isn't exactly going to help the 05-06 perception, like why do you need a thread to list 05-06 problems and fixes? A general list showing that all models have quirks might?

Not suggesting doing anymore than you already talked about, just maybe title it generally year specific buyers guide and write exactly what was on your mind about 05-06.

That's not a terrible idea. The only reason I think about making it 05-06 specific is because the 05-06 are the only years that seem to have a stigma around them, which is in my opinion, greatly blown out of proportion. People want to write them off because something as simple as an OPDA and a PCM issue, both of which can be fixed relatively easy (as long as you don't let your OPDA completely fail of course).

But yes, I get what you're saying. The 05-06 is just a trigger point for me, only because I've owned two of them without issue and know many others who have as well.

Reactions: pagrey

@Chris are you able to do a poll of percentage of owners that have had certain problems? I've seen it on other forums but I really only use this one. Could ask who has had cracked head problems, OPDA, PCM, 6 speed trans etc etc. Might be a interesting bit of data. On the wrangler forum they asked who had issues with their 6 speed manual. It was directed at early JK owners who have the same trans as an 05 or 06 but as it turned out very few people actually experienced issues with their transmissions.

You’ll be fine.. just enjoy it!! I had a 06 and that problem reared its ugly head about 3 yrs into owning it.. fixed it and moved on...
Send some pics!!!

Last edited:
@Chris are you able to do a poll of percentage of owners that have had certain problems? I've seen it on other forums but I really only use this one. Could ask who has had cracked head problems, OPDA, PCM, 6 speed trans etc etc. Might be a interesting bit of data. On the wrangler forum they asked who had issues with their 6 speed manual. It was directed at early JK owners who have the same trans as an 05 or 06 but as it turned out very few people actually experienced issues with their transmissions.

That was my plan in fact, was to create a poll in that thread seeking feedback from people who have actually had issues versus people who haven't. Of course that poll may be a bit misleading, as again, people tend to only go online to complain about things or seek help. Rarely are people out to tell the world have they have a 2005 TJ without any issues at all.

Reactions: L J and twistedlv
I admit now I am a little discouraged, and thinking about the dreaded PCM issue that I have read so much about.

Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see read.

That isn't exactly going to help the 05-06 perception, like why do you need a thread to list 05-06 problems and fixes?

Nothing will improve the falling sky "05-06 perception" in the minds of the very few Chicken Littles.

Last edited:
Put your “problem” list together and start socking away a little money against the list every month.

Heck, mines running great but I have an engine/tranny fund being set aside, though in all likelihood it will be new front end components before I need engine tranny ( given how well it’s been running)

Anything you own needs a little TLC, I’m just thankful I don’t own boats like my neighbors, the prices on outboard repair are insane !!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Put your “problem” list together and start socking away a little money against the list every month.

Heck, mines running great but I have an engine/tranny fund being set aside, though in all likelihood it will be new front end components before I need engine tranny ( given how well it’s been running)

Anything you own needs a little TLC, I’m just thankful I don’t own boats like my neighbors, the prices on outboard repair are insane !!

I do the same. Started a separate saving account. Throw a little money in there every payday. That way when the time comes for something, it’s not as much of a financial disruption. I’ve gotten several wants for my Jeep that way too. Specificly the lift, wheels, tires and PCM.

Reactions: rasband