Discussion about LCOG / pre-runner type mods

Stockli

TJ Enthusiast
after having an XJ built for the rocks I have decided to not lift or just barely lift my tj. I want to try and keep the suspension stock etc.

I am wanting a lightweight rig built for washboard and fire roads here in CO and AZ desert.

I am thinking I would like to run 33s for a little extra cushion and handling on the washboard stuff.

My idea is to have experienced guys give their thoughts on this set up and the less experienced to ask questions about it in this thread.

Currently the only mod I have is 31 at’s and ranch 5000x shocks

Last edited:
Build for at least 5" of up travel. Can you weld? Are you prepared to cut the body? You will be doing fender work and you will be moving all eight shock mounts. Consider raising the t case and gas tank skids.

2003 Rubicon

Keep in mind the a stock TJ has about 4" of up. Speed comes from tuned shocks and increased up travel.

With larger tires, the front fenders become the first obstacle. Hi line fenders, where you cut the hood and raise the fenders fenders 3" will make room. Raising the upper shock mounts will let you minimize the bump stop extension. A small body lift will also help make room in many areas.

My build is not LCoG. But for comparison on factory fenders, it currently has 33s, 4" Currie springs, 1.25" body lift, Rancho rs5000x front with 6" up and Fox 2.0 remote reservoir and an Alltech TJ tune with 7" up. Shock tuning matters. All shock mounts have been moved to get me that travel.

To do that with less lift requires fender work to give the tires somewhere to go. You also need to give the springs room to compress somewhere otherwise you risk coil bind. Without adding lift, you might be looking at frame work at least in the rear.

Speed isn't too difficult, if you can weld and understand how to put the parts together. LCoG (whatever that really means) is a lot of work and comes with lots of compromises.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Thank you for the info here. My plan is to be able to have a rig that can move quickly through the desert and not kill it’s on road performance, maybe tome to start looking towards a Canyon on the new Ranger raptor for that and just keep the tj stock to play around in

Thank you for the info here. My plan is to be able to have a rig that can move quickly through the desert and not kill it’s on road performance, maybe tome to start looking towards a Canyon on the new Ranger raptor for that and just keep the tj stock to play around in
I should also mention that my Jeep is my daily driver. And it is built to go nearly anywhere in Colorado. In this current iteration, it handles the road better than it ever has. On road and off road performance are not mutually exclusive.

Regarding the Raptor or Canyon, independent suspension will always be faster, but a truck can't go all the places that a Jeep can go. Just something to consider.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
JJ

Thanks again. Yeah I’m really kind of loving the stock ride and I want to keep this Jeep forever it was my folks Jeep and I’m the 2nd owner. I am torn between keep it original and doing something cool to it.

So I’m looking at 4 inch plus high lines and hood trimed. I am assuming a generous regear too. Ugh so tempting

Reactions: KCsTJ
You asked about LCoG (which I'm personally not a big fan of), but what you really want is a good solid build on a smallish lift and good shocks. I know first hand that 75% of Colorado can be done on a basic lift that will clear 33s. Nearly all of it can be done on a well built Jeep on 35s. It's that last little bit that escalates quickly into "hardcore" territory.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: KCsTJ
Or just take it to @mrblaine and have him build it for you! You know... if money is no option ;)
I don't do LCG for any amount of money because it's pretty much a farce foisted upon others by those who are afraid to lean their rigs over.

LCG limits performance, drives costs way up, has no discernible benefit to justify the extra costs and is highly misunderstood. Anytime anyone says they want LCG, just substitute the following phrase in place of LCG and it all makes sense- I'm skeered to lean my rig over and being offcamber makes me wet my pants.

If you put long travel shocks on a "LCG" rig and limit uptravel to a couple of inches, when you put a tire on a 2 foot tall rock, instead of the suspension moving upward, the whole rig moves upward. Now the longer travel shock on the other side is absolutely required to get the tire closer to the ground, but the end result is the chassis is higher and to what benefit? Leaning the rig over further?

You have to have up travel to move at speed over the rough stuff or put up with a rig destroying bone jarring ride.

Reactions: Chris
You asked about LCoG (which I'm personally not a big fan of), but what you really want is a good solid build on a smallish lift and good shocks. I know first hand that 75% of Colorado can be done on a basic lift that will clear 33s. Nearly all of it can be done on a well built Jeep on 35s. It's that last little bit that escalates quickly into "hardcore" territory.

2003 Rubicon
You needed to be in every single CZDiesel post saying that exact thing. Stop telling us how hard it is when folks from your part of the world come wheel with us in JV and either don't come back or come back with a very different build plan. We drug a LCG rig around out there one Thanksgiving over many trails and it ceased to be fun after about Day 2. To put that in perspective, Matt and I can run Sledgehammer from the entrance to the mail box in about 20 minutes. Put a LCG rig with us on 35 and that time goes to 4 hours.

Bob I’m on 31s I though about 33s to help with more cushion on the Colorado washboard

You don't need more ground clearance for wash board events, and your tires aren't the major contributor for shock dampening. More up travel and a properly tuned shock will benefit you more IMO.

I don't do LCG for any amount of money because it's pretty much a farce foisted upon others by those who are afraid to lean their rigs over.

LCG limits performance, drives costs way up, has no discernible benefit to justify the extra costs and is highly misunderstood. Anytime anyone says they want LCG, just substitute the following phrase in place of LCG and it all makes sense- I'm skeered to lean my rig over and being offcamber makes me wet my pants.

If you put long travel shocks on a "LCG" rig and limit uptravel to a couple of inches, when you put a tire on a 2 foot tall rock, instead of the suspension moving upward, the whole rig moves upward. Now the longer travel shock on the other side is absolutely required to get the tire closer to the ground, but the end result is the chassis is higher and to what benefit? Leaning the rig over further?

You have to have up travel to move at speed over the rough stuff or put up with a rig destroying bone jarring ride.

I was under the impression that it may save me at the pump just a little if I was lower. What you are saying makes a lot of sense though. I never minded my 4inch lift on my XJ but I love the ride in my tj.

Reactions: Chris
You needed to be in every single CZDiesel post saying that exact thing. Stop telling us how hard it is when folks from your part of the world come wheel with us in JV and either don't come back or come back with a very different build plan. ...

ROKMEN!
I was there. I understand where I live. :)

2003 Rubicon

I was under the impression that it may save me at the pump just a little if I was lower. ....

Hardly. Regear for your tire size, get some mileage back and enjoy the performance.

... I never minded my 4inch lift on my XJ but I love the ride in my tj.

Build it well and the ride can be better than stock, both on and off road.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Ya'know, I was going to jump in here and put my two cents worth in. Don't think I will, other than to comment that the world is a big place. Build for your conditions.

Reactions: Squatch
One thing I found from going to Jeep West up here in Oregon, is that there is so many different builds out there. Some of them seem a bit absurd to me, while others make more sense. However, I will say that I do like seeing a variety of TJs built in a variety of different ways.

On that note though, I will add that if you aren't just building for looks (which is okay if you are), you should definitely be building your rig for the types of terrain (and trails) you plan on doing. Building a capable rig for the PNW would likely result in a different build than building a capable rig for Moab or JV.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited