Distributor rebuild, anyone?

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
Distributor on a 97 is making noise. I pulled it out, it has a ton of side to side play in the shaft, which seems to indicate a worn bushing inside the shaft. Who knew these didn't ride on a bearing? Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has gone down the path of rebuilding their distributor, and where they sourced the bushings. The internet has only a few discussions on this, and nobody has shared a part # and all the threads are like 10 years old off places like a-bodies only.

Somebody here shared the name of a guy in Halifax PA who does distributors, but he said he doesn't bother with the Hall effect distributors, he's mainly into getting the curves & such right on the older units. He also said he would go with a Cardone unit for this, because there's not much they can screw up once you get the end play & side to side play correct. I was HOPING he would give me a source for the bushing, but no such luck. He did mention that the OEM dizzy might be a Prestolite, and I've found bushings for Prestolites but no idea which one I need....and even then the specs are literally "Approximately 1/2" ID X 5/8" OD X 1" long." I feel like "approximately" isn't good enough for this sort of application. But what do I know.

I'm probably alone in this journey, but would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Reactions: BlueC
I put the Cardone in my YJ years ago, no issues. The entire distributor with a lifetime warranty was cheaper than buying the cam sensor in the distributor.

I put the Cardone in my YJ years ago, no issues. The entire distributor with a lifetime warranty was cheaper than buying the cam sensor in the distributor.

I know how to buy a new one. But also the cam sensor easily transfers, and aftermarket sensors are of questionable quality anyway.

But I’m asking about restoring my OEM one. It was built with parts, and new ones are built with parts, surely I can find a source for parts to recondition what I already have for much, much less (plus the satisfaction of having conquered the machine world).

My point was that buying a cam sensor to replace the failed one in my distributor was more expensive than buying the entire distributor. Not a hard decision.

You might have a better chance of at least breaking even if you just need the bushings, but you probably need a gear as well, it will soon add up, if you can even find the parts.

Last edited:
but you probably need a gear as well, it will soon add up, if you can even find the parts.

Gear shows no signs of real wear other than being shiny/clean where it was turning against the cam.

image.jpg

It’s ok if this isn’t your quest. Not everyone’s princesses are in the same castle. (Hoping mine is in the Castle Anthrax).

Distributor on a 97 is making noise. I pulled it out, it has a ton of side to side play in the shaft, which seems to indicate a worn bushing inside the shaft. Who knew these didn't ride on a bearing? Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has gone down the path of rebuilding their distributor, and where they sourced the bushings. The internet has only a few discussions on this, and nobody has shared a part # and all the threads are like 10 years old off places like a-bodies only.

Somebody here shared the name of a guy in Halifax PA who does distributors, but he said he doesn't bother with the Hall effect distributors, he's mainly into getting the curves & such right on the older units. He also said he would go with a Cardone unit for this, because there's not much they can screw up once you get the end play & side to side play correct. I was HOPING he would give me a source for the bushing, but no such luck. He did mention that the OEM dizzy might be a Prestolite, and I've found bushings for Prestolites but no idea which one I need....and even then the specs are literally "Approximately 1/2" ID X 5/8" OD X 1" long." I feel like "approximately" isn't good enough for this sort of application. But what do I know.

I'm probably alone in this journey, but would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

I've used these guys numerous times back when I was wrenching on classic British sports cars having them add electronics at the same time. They are still doing it with a quick turnaround, and the level of quality was excellent.

https://www.advanceddistributors.com/

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
I think the problem with rebuilds is lack of parts and knowledge. I found a friend of the family that would rebuild my distributor but it wasn't cheap. I realize a1 Cardone must be sourcing hard to find parts like bushings but that information isn't readily avaialble.

I think the problem with rebuilds is lack of parts and knowledge. I found a friend of the family that would rebuild my distributor but it wasn't cheap. I realize a1 Cardone must be sourcing hard to find parts like bushings but that information isn't readily avaialble.

So you're saying I need to moonlight at Cardone and learn the trade secrets?

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
un peqeno.

I'm learning Russian on Duolingo (I used to work for some Russians, don't ask), so maybe they have an overseas operation?

I like to fuck with Google and Amazon algorithms by putting everything into Russian audio by default. That and it's good hacker defense.

I'm pretty good with Spanish...so far all my deployments have been Farsi and French.

-Mac

I like to fuck with Google and Amazon algorithms by putting everything into Russian audio by default. That and it's good hacker defense.

I'm pretty good with Spanish...so far all my deployments have been Farsi and French.

-Mac

LOL. I've inadvertently done the same. I've had to do more than a few searches to understand some grammar rules for a few things, but I type the search in Russian + English. I did a work-related search thing morning and the 5th or 6th link was one in all Russian. I'm somewhere, in a manilla folder somewhere in Washington is a study in black & white of my fingerprints.

• Haha
Reactions: P man
LOL. I've inadvertently done the same. I've had to do more than a few searches to understand some grammar rules for a few things, but I type the search in Russian + English. I did a work-related search thing morning and the 5th or 6th link was one in all Russian. I'm somewhere, in a manilla folder somewhere in Washington is a study in black & white of my fingerprints.

You and @macleanflood have now surpassed @Zorba As the strangest people on this forum

Reactions: macleanflood
I'm somewhere, in a manilla folder somewhere in Washington is a study in black & white of my fingerprints.

I've got a pretty high security clearance for my job...passed my last one a couple of years ago with zero issues.

Still flabbergasted I had to take three hours of online SEER training to drive to Victoria Island and back. Security office really over interpreted those rules and regs.

-Mac

• Haha
Reactions: wigsajumper