Distributor rebuild, anyone?

Well the last Dizzy he did for me was a 76 TR6. Oh well...

We installed a NAPA in my sons Cherokee and never had issues.
I have 15k miles on a duralast (calm down, Jerry) and have had no issues.

w/o any sort of advance it greatly lowers the amount of stuff that can be bad about a replacement. I was just hoping there was a rebuild opportunity here. I found some bushings that MAY be right. They're like $7 each (it takes 2) but it's gonna cost me $12 to ship. So I'm in for like $25 to find out. I may work on disassembling this thing first and see where that gets me.

https://www.mcdonaldcarb.com/product_p/90-2595.htm?CartID=1

Last edited:
I have 15k miles on a durmast (calm down, Jerry) and have had no issues.

w/o any sort of advance it greatly lowers the amount of stuff that can be bad about a replacement. I was just hoping there was a rebuild opportunity here. I found some bushings that MAY be right. They're like $7 each (it takes 2) but it's gonna cost me $12 to ship. So I'm in for like $25 to find out. I may work on disassembling this thing first and see where that gets me.

https://www.mcdonaldcarb.com/product_p/90-2595.htm?CartID=1

I get it, I'm highly susceptible to that mode of thought and generally successful. If not I learned something. Did a set of oem tailgate hinges last year for $20 and they're gonna last the life of the Jeep.

@hear I hate that Halifafx couldn't help you, but I honestly expected that since he does resto work and often has parts made before these Jeeps. Since it seems like there is very little out there, have you considered buying a cheap new one and disassembling that one and your OEM so that you can compare side-by-side. That might allow you to take measurement and give you a starting point for a rebuild. It might even give you the parts you need.

Rockauto has one for $51 right now.
1707504591178.png

You may check McMaster or other suppliers. Bushings in my experience are seemingly always custom made for the part they are used on. Every time I go to source one they are never the size I need.

The one or two places I found this discussed did mentioned needing to ream the bushing for the dizzy shaft. I don't have any reamers so that might turn this project into something I'm less excited about doing.