Ditching the A/C

andyj

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all,
I got some trouble with my drive belt yesterday. It seems to slip on the pulley for the A/C, maybe the bearing or the compressor itself is toast. However I never use the A/C, so I thought about getting a new drive belt for the model without A/C and just skip the A/C compressor altogether. There are a few images in the TJ service manual (page 291) for the 2003 model (4.0) and it looks like all other pulleys and what they drive are in the same spot (the figures don't show measurements though).
Did anyone try this, would this actually be possible?
Cheers,
Andy

Reactions: BabyBass2
I had a compressor go out on my last 4.0 TJ. I went to the parts store and got a belt for same year and engine without the AC option and it worked fine.

didn't know about the extra pulley on the 4cyl.

Reactions: BabyBass2
Hi all,
I got some trouble with my drive belt yesterday. It seems to slip on the pulley for the A/C, maybe the bearing or the compressor itself is toast. However I never use the A/C, so I thought about getting a new drive belt for the model without A/C and just skip the A/C compressor altogether. There are a few images in the TJ service manual (page 291) for the 2003 model (4.0) and it looks like all other pulleys and what they drive are in the same spot (the figures don't show measurements though).
Cheers,
Andy
Hi Andy - if you want to delete the A/C altogether I would be happy to buy it from you! Looking to add to mine and need the compressor, condensor and lines (don't need the dash control panel so you can leave that stock). I can give you a brand new belt that fits the setup without the compressor as part of the deal :) Happy to come over with the spanners and help you remove it :)

Hi all,
Cheers,
Andy
I had recently studied this case as I will remove the A/C out of my Jeep..... Seems like is possible and very simple, as Jeeps came without A/C from the Factory. I have not done it yet, but soon will, see the photos. If you look carefully, the photo with the belts, says “with a/c“ and “without a/c” in small letters.

E8D0A71D-AF02-4E8E-8AC1-4E1C99CBBFAD.png

00D8A6DD-2D5E-468E-8A6C-A9807801C84D.png

078D6291-5E60-4D30-915E-8251C99819C8.png

Reactions: Bigmac
Typically the last three digits at the end of the belt # are the amount in inches.

Remove the belt, route a piece of string over the pulleys to simulate a belt without AC, measure that and go buy a belt.

Reactions: Bigmac and JMT
All you have to do is buy the non A/C belt.

No point in adding a useless pulley that will eventually fail.
Yup, cause that brand new "non A/C" belt is gonna last forever, right? :ROFLMAO:

I'm not saying the new pulley is the right method for everyone, just that it's a decent option. In my case I had an almost new serpentine belt that I was able to re-use and it was close to the price of the new Dorman pulley ($40 on Amazon). I also have an older belt that I keep in the Jeep as a trail spare that will also work for me now that I have the new pulley. To each his own though. (y)

Reactions: andyj
Hi Andy - if you want to delete the A/C altogether I would be happy to buy it from you! Looking to add to mine and need the compressor, condensor and lines (don't need the dash control panel so you can leave that stock). I can give you a brand new belt that fits the setup without the compressor as part of the deal :) Happy to come over with the spanners and help you remove it :)

Hi Bammo,

That would be quite a trip - I'm in SA. My mechanic will fix the car next Friday, I'll ask how much it is to remove all that A/C related stuff. Maybe I'll post it to you if you want but the compressor is probably toast.

Anyway, I consider it a very bad design fault to have a non-essential sub-system killing the main system in case of a failure. I was just lucky to make it home, this happened Easter Monday 100km off the next asphalt road, rain pouring down turning the track slowly into an impassable sludgy mud path. No one with a radio around and zero mobile reception...
I poured water over the almost burning belt to cool it down, got the 100 km out of the Murray-Sunset national park and did another 300km back home to Adelaide. The compressor is now completely blocked, I can't even start the car. Nah, I don't want the A/C anymore and I would not recommend it to you either ;o)

Cheers,
Andy

Reactions: Blondie70
Hi Bammo,

That would be quite a trip - I'm in SA. My mechanic will fix the car next Friday, I'll ask how much it is to remove all that A/C related stuff. Maybe I'll post it to you if you want but the compressor is probably toast.

Anyway, I consider it a very bad design fault to have a non-essential sub-system killing the main system in case of a failure. I was just lucky to make it home, this happened Easter Monday 100km off the next asphalt road, rain pouring down turning the track slowly into an impassable sludgy mud path. No one with a radio around and zero mobile reception...
I poured water over the almost burning belt to cool it down, got the 100 km out of the Murray-Sunset national park and did another 300km back home to Adelaide. The compressor is now completely blocked, I can't even start the car. Nah, I don't want the A/C anymore and I would not recommend it to you either ;o)

Cheers,
Andy
If you want to unload the rest of the A/C I would be very happy to pay your mechanic to remove it. A new compressor isn't that hard to source and I already have the AC control panel. Equally happy to drop in with a bag of spanners next time I am in Adelaide :) Its the bracketry and coolant pipes etc that are a pain to get. I can furnish a full list of the bits he needs to remove if that helps. Aircon is a must over here - did a long drive in the wheatbelt last month and sweated a bucket...

Reactions: Fishtaco and andyj
Hi all,
Cheers,
Andy
Quickest way is Amazon au if you want a USA recommended belt you can get AC or non AC one is just longer than the other, if you have time on your side rockAuto is your best bet other than Amazon, if you need one quick Repco sell them but they don't look as good as the US belts. below is a Repco link and price of the shorter non AC TJ belt

Repco Multi Ribbed Drive Belt 6 Rib x 1905mm - 6PK1905RB​

SKU: A9437144
Share This

Repco Multi Ribbed Drive Belt 6 Rib x 1905mm - 6PK1905RB

A9437144-10.jpg

A9437144.jpg

A9437144-10.jpg

A9437144.jpg

A9437144-10.jpg

Repco

No rating value average rating value is 0.0 of 5. Read 0 Reviews Same page link.

(0)
Write a review

$58 each

ADD TO CART

Save to Wish List

In-Store
15 Mins
Delivery
Same Day*
Also available at nearby stores

This product fits your vehicle.Change Vehicle

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-s...bed-drive-belt-6-rib-x-1905mm-6pk1905rb/p/A94

Last edited:
If you want to unload the rest of the A/C I would be very happy to pay your mechanic to remove it. A new compressor isn't that hard to source and I already have the AC control panel. Equally happy to drop in with a bag of spanners next time I am in Adelaide :) Its the bracketry and coolant pipes etc that are a pain to get. I can furnish a full list of the bits he needs to remove if that helps. Aircon is a must over here - did a long drive in the wheatbelt last month and sweated a bucket...
I haven't even used my AC only to see if it works every now and then! Hat or hairspray works for me :)