DIY BB Spacers

Darsmith

TJ Enthusiast
Has anyone ever made their own front/rear spacers? I have a lot of 6061 aluminum and a CNC mill and lathe. Who has the mechanical dimensions or specs for BB spacers? A person could then dial in their own height (up to 2" or so).

Reactions: matkal
If you want to make me some 1” for the front, I’ll take them!

I haven’t actually seen anyone on here make their own in the last 3 years.

EDIT: here’s somehttp://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=401834225422&category=33585&pm=1&ds=0&t=1580078705600

I thought it would be an interesting shop project since I have the material and means. I recently bought a 2003 Sahara and the PO put 31x10.5 tires on it without adding a lift. He also put them on wheels with 3-3/8" backspacing so the tires project about 2" outside the fenders. If I offroad and articulate too much the fenders will take a hit. So I either downsize the tires and go back to the factory rims or add some lift. I really don't want to go over 2". I have a set of factory Canyon wheels that I can switch to and bring the tires back inside the fenders but I still have the larger tires to deal with. I want to keep the Sahara as close to stock as I can but I do like the 31" tires.

Reactions: matkal
Your stock springs are probably sagging. So, a 2” spacer would not give you a true 2” lift. Ask me how I know! 🙄 You shouldn’t need much lift for 31’s, but even 2” is going to demand new shocks.

another option is a refresh with some 1” HR springs.

Or add some bumpstop to keep the tires out of the fenders. Would cause some loss of uptravel.

My vote is some fresh HR 1” springs and 0-2” Rancho 5000X shocks

Your stock springs are probably sagging. So, a 2” spacer would not give you a true 2” lift. Ask me how I know! 🙄 You shouldn’t need much lift for 31’s, but even 2” is going to demand new shocks.

another option is a refresh with some 1” HR springs.

Or add some bumpstop to keep the tires out of the fenders. Would cause some loss of uptravel.

My vote is some fresh HR 1” springs and 0-2” Rancho 5000X shocks

That's probably the right thing to do in this case. I haven't had time to measure the current springs but I suspect you are right with the spring sag. Will look into it.

Reactions: JMT