DIY Decals

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I got a new toy the other day - a Cricut Joy cutting machine. It's a very compact device that connects to the computer via bluetooth and can cut shapes out of vinyl or paper, and can also cut iron-on transfers and infusible ink for permanent designs on cloth and other materials. Literally five minutes after taking it out of the box I cut this decal:

CricutJoy4wd.jpg

I made the decal on the small sample of decal stock that comes with the machine. I didn't buy the Cricut machine to make coffee cups, but while I was waiting for the rest of my Cricut supplies to arrive I put my test decal on a cup:

CoffeeCup.jpg

I've got a lot of Jeep logos I can do, here are a few. All of these are replicas of original decals/emblems and can be done in the same size as the originals or sized as needed. The 4 "Jeep" letters, for example, are sized for the embossed Jeep logo on a CJ tailgate.

JeepLogos.jpg

When my supplies arrived I began experimenting with the machine to learn its capabilities. I got vinyl in several colors and stickiness (permanent and removable) along with iron on and infusible ink materials. A few things I've made...

I made a few larger 4 Wheel Drive decals like the one I made with the sample vinyl that came with the machine but these are the same size as the original stencil that was painted on the back of early CJ's. This white one is removable vinyl and I stuck it on the back of an extra Dinoot jeep-style trailer tub that's set up in the workshop. Obviously a trailer wouldn't be 4wd, but it's removable vinyl, I put the decal there to see how it might look on the back corner of a TJ. I've also got a graphics file for the large Jeep letters on the tailgate so if I ever decide to finish that tailgate I can make decals for it.

4wdDinoot1.jpg

4wdDinoot2.jpg

Another one I cut from permanent silver:

4wdSilver.jpg

When I do a large project like a hardtop, I usually make graphics for it. I designed a Safari logo for my JKU Safari Cab hardtop and had a local sign shop make decals for the side of the hardtop. I used the same graphics file to make a Safari decal with the Cricut and looking for a place to stick it I tried it on the new cargo box I recently finished up for my roof rack. It also is removable vinyl so I'll peel it off.

SafariBox1.jpg

SafariBox2.jpg

I made another 4 Wheel Drive decal, this one in tan to match the tan Sahara decals on the JKU, and stuck it on the rear corner. I didn't wash off the entire salt-encrusted Jeep for this photo, just enough to make a clean place to apply the decal.

4wdJKU2.jpg

4wdJKU1(1).jpg

Over the years I've collected a bunch of original Willys/Jeep emblems, some of the collection is in this photo:

JeepEmblems.jpg

When I built my Wrangler pickup, I scanned some of the original Willys emblems, turned them into vector drawings and had a sign shop make decals for me.

RetroDecals.jpg

I used one of those graphics files to make a pair of "4-Wheel Drive" script decals today in the Cricut. The original metal emblems were on the cowl side of some years of Willys pickups and station wagons, and I used the decals the sign shop made for me in the same place on my Wrangler pickup as you can see in the photo above. Here are the ones I cut in the Cricut:

4WheelDriveScript.jpg

I've got a few more things to try - the Cricut can make multi-color decals so I am going to try a "TJ-7" decal. Some years of the CJ5/7/8 had die-cast emblems on them; they had silver letters on a black background. I've done the artwork to make a "TJ-7" version so I'll try cutting that.

TJ-7Art.jpg

I also have both iron-on and infusible ink materials so I'll be trying to add artwork to cloth next.

The Cricut Joy is a small machine with a capacity only 5 1/2" wide. They sell larger machines but the Joy will meet most of the needs I can think up now and if I ever need something a lot larger I can have the sign shop do large decals for me but one very cool feature of the Joy is that it can handle cutting up to 4' long. The material comes in rolls, and the machine can automatically feed and cut up to 4' at a time. A 5 1/2" height and 4' width is more than enough to make hood-side decals like the factory Rubicon hood decals.

4FootCut.jpg

I don't plan to put hood-side decals on any of my Jeeps but I've always liked the camel train graphics on the side of the Mahindra Savari so maybe I'll try something like that...

Savari2_zpsurjk1prq.jpg

I still have a lot to learn about the capabilities of the Cricut but pretty much anything I can scan/draw can be turned into a decal so I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses for it.

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of inexpensive. They run about $180. I think.
The girlfriend was going to do a bunch of stuff with it. She’s made some stickers and shirts.

Have a friend that has one and they make tons of stuff with theirs. Koozies, shirts...

Moving right along... my first attempt at multi-color decals.

Back in the 70's/80's CJ5/7/8's had emblems on the rear quarter panel. My Scrambler had one:

CJ8Emblem1.jpg

CJ8Emblem2.jpg

Some of them are available today from the aftermarket, here's one from Quadratec: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55010_1028.htm.

When I designed and built the CJ Grille Kit for the TJ/LJ, I made a mold and molded LJ-8 emblems to go with the kit:

LJ8Emblem.jpg

LJ8EmblemMold.jpg

LJ8EmblemsMolded.jpg

Making a master pattern for a mold, making a mold, molding the emblems and then painting them wasn't terribly difficult but it was a bit of work, so I thought it would be cool to be able to make custom ones in vinyl. I did the artwork last night for a TJ-7 emblem in two colors and today I cut some on the Cricut. Not having a TJ-7 :) to stick it on, I used a coffee cup:

TJ-7.jpg

Making a two-color decal was pretty easy, the Cricut software manages most of the process automatically.

Two other materials available are iron-on vinyl and infusible ink. Both come in a range of colors, but for testing I picked white iron on and black infusible ink. Everyone is familiar with iron-on transfers, but maybe not so much with infusible ink - this is ink that melts into the fabric with heat and actually dies the fabric so it's permanent. The infusible ink is intended for polyester blend fabrics for best results but I rarely sew anything out of polyester, most of what I sew is from heavy military-grade cotton duck canvas so I did all my tests on different colors of canvas. In this next photo the white star and U.S. are iron-ons and the rest are infusible ink. The ink is supposed to be black, and it would be on a polyester blend, but the colors turn out a little off on pure cotton. Even so, I like the aged look of the infusible ink on the cotton, so I'm sure I'll find a use for it on some of my Jeep sewing projects.

IronOnAndInkTests.jpg

So is this going to become a business?

No, not for me, I don't sell anything. I may make a few decals for friends but being in business isn't something that interests me.

The Cricut Joy machine costs about $170 and supplies are pretty reasonable so anyone with some graphics capability could start a business doing custom Jeep decals but it won't be me :). Machines and supplies are available at Joann Fabrics, Michaels Crafts, Hobby Lobby and many Walmarts and the full range of supplies is available at cricut.com.

The machine is very easy to use (almost idiot-proof) and the materials aren't expensive but the key is being able to create the graphics files to drive the machine. The native file format is SVG (scaled vector graphics) which pretty much all drawing programs can output, and fonts need to be rendered as scaled vector graphics as well (some drawing programs can do that).

I just ordered decals for the sides of my hood for about 40 bucks.

View attachment 218388
Two of those would take about $5.00 in materials on the cricut machine.

I'd like to get some for the "JEEP" on the tailgate as a contrast
If you're talking about the embossed Jeep lettering on a CJ tailgate, those can be found in several places, including eBay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=201992248462

Joann fabrics carries them and will often have a 20%+ discount coupon.
If you check the fine print on Joann coupons, they explicitly say the discount doesn't apply to "all Cricut products". Same thing at Michaels and I suspect the same at Hobby Lobby - Circut is very strict about discounting.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Some of the bigger models can actually cut balsa wood. You can print a little model plane. I haven't tried it with the wife's Cricut get but I hear it can be done.

So can you cut longer decals like a windshield banner? Pretty COOL little machine.

A well-known member of the forum sent me a PM yesterday suggesting a side business - making trail name stickers. He thought people might enjoy putting the names of the trails they've done on their Jeeps. I made a few this morning to see what the idea might look like (Don't mind the salt-encrusted Jeep, it's been doing plow duty). I made these in removable vinyl so I could peel them off after taking the photo.

TrailNameTest1.jpg

TrailNameTest2.jpg

They could be made larger or smaller, with a different font or in a different color, I just picked this size, font and color quickly as a test.

Maybe someone will want to start a business making these (not me, I have no interest in being in business).

Reactions: Ephry73 and Tob
No doubt those would sell. A friend has a dozen or so like that on her Jeep (but in a smaller font size) and they're real conversation starters.