DIY epoxy garage / shop floor coatings

Smtwnwygrl

My new garage is almost done and I want the brand new concrete floor coated before either of the following occurs: a)winter arrives or b) I have to change oil/tranny fluid/hydro fluid/etc and do an Exon Valdez all over the floor.
No, I’m not going to hire it done. Got bids already, lowest is about $3 billion and would require a new mortgage. Oh, and as a plus, the earliest anyone can do it is December/January so that’s a no it’s a DIY or bust.
For background, the garage is 24×30. I do a lot of mechanical stuff, outboards, small engines, ag equipment, aircraft engines (non-turbine only now due to neighborhood Karen’s constant b!tching about test-runs) , etc. Lots of fluid spills and inevitable.
Interested in hearing from those of you who have done it yourself. What product did you use and how is it holding up?
I did the Rustoleum stuff on my parent’s last 2 garages. I would not have done that product, but that’s what dad wanted to do/pay for. My impressions are that it’s okay for the cost and if you don’t mind redoing parts of it every few years. I won’t be going with this for my garage.
Have heard good things about Epoxy-Coat products. Anyone done this brand and how many mils did you do? Major concern with this one is how slippery is it when done?
Other DIY products/systems you recommend?
I gotta get on this quick-like. Thanks guys as usual for all the advice.
Grouse

My new garage is almost done and I want the brand new concrete floor coated before either of the following occurs: a)winter arrives or b) I have to change oil/tranny fluid/hydro fluid/etc and do an Exon Valdez all over the floor.
No, I’m not going to hire it done. Got bids already, lowest is about $3 billion and would require a new mortgage. Oh, and as a plus, the earliest anyone can do it is December/January so that’s a no it’s a DIY or bust.
For background, the garage is 24×30. I do a lot of mechanical stuff, outboards, small engines, ag equipment, aircraft engines (non-turbine only now due to neighborhood Karen’s constant b!tching about test-runs) , etc. Lots of fluid spills and inevitable.
Interested in hearing from those of you who have done it yourself. What product did you use and how is it holding up?
I did the Rustoleum stuff on my parent’s last 2 garages. I would not have done that product, but that’s what dad wanted to do/pay for. My impressions are that it’s okay for the cost and if you don’t mind redoing parts of it every few years. I won’t be going with this for my garage.
Have heard good things about Epoxy-Coat products. Anyone done this brand and how many mils did you do? Major concern with this one is how slippery is it when done garage floor epoxy las vegas?
Grouse

thanks for any help

Saw it done at work. I’m thinking it was a 60’x30’ room. Conference room for the plant. $30,000 if I remember right. Lemme qualify my next statement so you’ll believe me. We are a salty snack food company making all kinds of GREASY foods, tater chips, tortillas chips etc. lots of greasy boot’s coming and going. They sprinkle sand down evenly before the epoxy cures so there is no slipping to be had. It looks fantastic and would be a great shop floor.

Adding an abrasive to the epoxy mix is a must. I worked at a shop that didn't and ended up closing the shop until the floor was refinished.
When you pulled a truck into the shop and the snow and ice melted off the floor was slick , one drop of oil or ATF on top of the water made it
unusable ! However you coat your floor , add some abrasive and stay safer !
Have you thought about just using a concrete sealer vs. a epoxy coating ? The concrete still looks and acts like concrete but oil doesn't soak in.
Merry Christmas to you!

I have friends who have done DIY epoxy floors, also a landlord. Several used the Rustoleum product. I also have friends and acquaintances who had polyaspartic coatings professionally applied.

The DIY results were nowhere near the same as with a professionally applied professional product. The DIY jobs were good, but the professionally applied products were noticeably better.

I paid the money for a professional job, and even though it hurt to write that check I have never regretted my decision. After a while one forgets the pain of spending the money and sees only the end result and quality of the work

You can see the floor in this shot. It has been 10 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed.

SwayLOC.jpg

I helped my parents go the DIY route and it may have been Rustoleum.

The process went well and it all looked good.

Until someone turned the steering on an F250 diesel (lots of weight) and the tires peeled the coating off the floor. Better floor prep may have helped, we followed the directions.

Getting an epoxy coating to adhere properly is a key. New concrete must be properly cured and tested for moisture to ensure you don't need a sealer prior to installing the finish coat.

The cost of the coating will most likely track the amount of solids in the mix. So, the more costly stuff usually works better. Armor Garage is one I specify regularly as is Shield-Crete.

If the concrete was laid over a vapor barrier or over just crushed rock is a key to understanding how to prep the concrete as well. Water infiltration from below can be problematic so be sure to understand your situation. Again, the moisture test process is a key.

I second the comment regarding adding an abrasive to the mix or broadcasting it between coats. Make sure you follow the directions again here as some abrasives adhere better than others.

Here's a decent install video:

Good luck!

The previous owner of my house did DIY and it's coming off in chunks, but they did most things half assed so it may be bad prep/application. However I recently painted the basement with rustoleum's concrete paint/garage paint and it's sitting much better - but it's too new to say it'll hold up better.

Google epoxy products in your area. These days garage floors have become big biz for contractors. Many areas have suppliuers in industrial parks. You can buy the pro products from there. They cost a lot, but if you follow directions you should be good. Especially because your dealing with a fresh floor. Sherwin Williams has good pro epoxy that you can do, but price wise your betrter getting industrial stuff. Dont do Rustoleum stuff.

Have heard good things about Epoxy-Coat products. Anyone done this brand and how many mils did you do? Major concern with this one is how slippery is it when done?
Grouse

What did you end up going with still assuming you diy?

Getting an epoxy coating to adhere properly is a key. New concrete must be properly cured and tested for moisture to ensure you don't need a sealer prior to installing the finish coat.

The cost of the coating will most likely track the amount of solids in the mix. So, the more costly stuff usually works better. Armor Garage is one I specify regularly as is Shield-Crete.

If the concrete was laid over a vapor barrier or over just crushed rock is a key to understanding how to prep the concrete as well. Water infiltration from below can be problematic so be sure to understand your situation. Again, the moisture test process is a key.

I second the comment regarding adding an abrasive to the mix or broadcasting it between coats. Make sure you follow the directions again here as some abrasives adhere better than others.

Here's a decent install video:
garage floor coating cincinnati

Good luck!

thank you so much for your suggestion

I have friends who have done DIY epoxy floors, also a landlord. Several used the Rustoleum product. I also have friends and acquaintances who had polyaspartic coatings professionally applied.

The DIY results were nowhere near the same as with a professionally applied professional product. The DIY jobs were good, but the professionally applied products were noticeably better.

I paid the money for a professional job, and even though it hurt to write that check I have never regretted my decision. After a while one forgets the pain of spending the money and sees only the end result and quality of the work

You can see the floor in this shot. It has been 10 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed.

View attachment 386604

I have a polyaspartic floor and it's held up great in the last 6 months in AZ