DIY Fuse and Relay Panel

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey Guys!

I would like to make my own DIY Fuse And Relay Panel.

I cannot afford something like SPOD, so I would like to create something on my own. I see that many people use the BUSSMANN AUXILIARY BOX to create a project like this, but if I am not mistaken this kind of boxes are able to run relays up to 35-40 amps MAX.

1585575285282.png

Do you have any other options in mind like the above, that I can install 50-60 amps relays too?
This would be the best option in order to be compact.

My next option is to build something like this, but it is not as compact.
1585575452099.png

I have a writeup on the Bussmann here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/bussmann-auxiliary-fuse-and-relay-module-installation.19796/
You are correct that the relays are limited in amperage. Generally about 30 amps is what you want to limit it to. So you could, for example, run a Viair compressor through it but not an ARB.

The whole Bussmann can handle a lot of simultaneous amperage (100 amps for the small one with 10 fuses and 5 relays, or 200 amps for the large one with 40 fuses and 10 relays).

Anything 35 amps and larger I'll probably just run separate relays. A lot of the equipment of that size already has relays or contactors built in (like winches, ARB pumps, etc.).

I have a writeup on the Bussmann here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/bussmann-auxiliary-fuse-and-relay-module-installation.19796/
You are correct that the relays are limited in amperage. Generally about 30 amps is what you want to limit it to. So you could, for example, run a Viair compressor through it but not an ARB.

The whole Bussmann can handle a lot of simultaneous amperage (100 amps for the small one with 10 fuses and 5 relays, or 200 amps for the large one with 40 fuses and 10 relays).

Anything 35 amps and larger I'll probably just run separate relays. A lot of the equipment of that size already has relays or contactors built in (like winches, ARB pumps, etc.).

I've seen your write-up! Its very useful.

I would like to find something that could run bigger relays though because of my air compressor, which has maximum amperage draw of 45A.

Is it one single 45 amp compressor or two smaller ones? If it’s a twin model you can usually wire the pumps individually and just use one relay per pump

Hi @TJim

It seems that you are always one step ahead of me. I'm looking into this right now too, as I need to clean up some of my wiring.

What did you end up doing? And do you have any pics? Especially interested in how you got around the problem of the one 45-amp relay. I suppose if that's really your only one, you could always just wire that one separately, mounting the 45-amp relay right near your aux panel.

I don't have too many accessory wires, so I'm just enjoying the research at the moment. I will probably get away with one of these, recommended by Mr. Bills.