DIY hand throttle through firewall or to skinny pedal?

Got mine mounted today. Much easier to go to the throttle, even with cruise control. There's a perfect grommet to go through the firewall immediately to the right of the gas pedal.View attachment 151512

Now I just need to add a Brannock device gas pedal and I'm all set...
View attachment 151518
That’s so funny, I drilled and tapped mine exactly like you did

to the pedal. shorter run. no turns. keep it all inside. keep the clutter out of the hood. Control in the dash

But if you want the control on the shifter, yes to the throttle body

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
Makes no sense, nevermind. I've seen it done with two different levers and they felt different probably because the one used a different shifter.

Last edited:
When I installed mine, I checked to see what sort of range on the throttle it gave me.

At fully closed, the TPS reads 13.3%. At fully open it reads 74.5%.

With my cable shifter attached to the throttle, I was able to go anywhere from 13.3% up to about 54% before the shifter maxed out. So I have about 2/3 of the throttle range covered.

Each click was about 2% throttle or so. And even between clicks I could set it to within about a half percent of a given target. Actually better than I could do with the pedal alone.

I'd be interested to see the numeric range someone gets from mounting it to the pedal.

I guess I will have to try out both ways and see what works better for me. I've been trying to figure out what I am going to do with my throttle since I know I am not going to want to try using my right leg to throttle all day on a trail.

When I installed mine, I checked to see what sort of range on the throttle it gave me.

At fully closed, the TPS reads 13.3%. At fully open it reads 74.5%.

With my cable shifter attached to the throttle, I was able to go anywhere from 13.3% up to about 54% before the shifter maxed out. So I have about 2/3 of the throttle range covered.

Each click was about 2% throttle or so. And even between clicks I could set it to within about a half percent of a given target. Actually better than I could do with the pedal alone.

I'd be interested to see the numeric range someone gets from mounting it to the pedal.
Never thought to check with the computer, great Idea.
Mine is closed at 11.37% and open at 71.16% so pretty similar.
Mine opens at two clicks and 13.33% or almost exactly the same as yours.
Mine goes to 56.47% or about 75% of the range.
My shifter has 21 clicks total so that means 4% a click but I actually observed anywhere from 2-4% when I tested it.
I'd call it pretty close and again, great idea to test it.

Never thought to check with the computer, great Idea.
Mine is closed at 11.37% and open at 71.16% so pretty similar.
Mine opens at two clicks and 13.33% or almost exactly the same as yours.
Mine goes to 56.47% or about 75% of the range.
My shifter has 21 clicks total so that means 4% a click but I actually observed anywhere from 2-4% when I tested it.
I'd call it pretty close and again, great idea to test it.
I have 21 clicks as well. I'm using the Teraflex one. So maybe it is on average closer to 3% a click.

So it really is a wash. Interesting!

I did a similar test when I thought my cruise control couldn't max out the throttle.

Turns out the module hit its limit right about 68% (out of 74%) throttle. A quick spacer to take up the slack on the wire and my cruise control can now go all the way to the maximum throttle.

I didn’t find it to be difficult going to the TB, it was pretty straitght forward and I left it long to make the same sweep as the throttle,
2D2409B5-F0CD-4FC2-9213-1C21962F1FFC.jpeg
936EFE23-D600-4F7F-90D4-D1A1C948B289.jpeg

I also have a Verneer knob on the dash for winching and such that I used to use as a hand throttle. The shifter looks easier to work with, I just worry about my dog hitting the lever.
7A90D2DC-518A-472A-A13D-8BC6AD27648D.jpeg

I’ve said before I looked at going to the pedal but I think I would have to pull my seat out or do yoga for a year first. I terminated with a 5/16” 22-18 ring terminal, on the throttle side ball pivot along with the throttle.
6CCC9C30-3344-4757-9061-EB74C2EDA802.jpeg
81FDAC6F-8C26-45F6-A328-48536679E049.jpeg

All the cables are zip tied together and I went through the large oval grommet.
05984413-8144-4867-A0B7-2C711D01165D.jpeg
6A1BECFD-F4D5-427D-A0FD-B2B1C629F763.jpeg

I drilled the bracket between the other two cables and tapped (6mm 1.0 tap for the Teraflex throttle) and used the supplied cable adjuster. Before I cut the cable I ran the adjuster all the way in and crimped the terminal enough that it wouldn’t slide to easy. I got it close where it would work about a third on the lever, crimped it good, cut it, and soldered the connection. I adjusted it where it works almost right when you start to move it.

For those who might be looking for the Locking Vernier Universal Control Cable JB Custom Fab sells a complete kit plus they offer a mount to mount it to your shifter.

I like that Dr Dmoney has both aux throttle options installed. I need they Vernier cable for my onboard welder but also would like the have the thumb throttle again. The last one I had installed on my TJ for some reason IMHO it did work very well. So hooking it to the accelerator pedal might just be the ticke.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The hand throttle is not a difficult installation... and works great when doing technical obstacles with a manual transmission. I attached the bicycle derailer control to the shifter handle, then ran the cable thru the shifter boot, up the transmission tunnel and clamped it to the throttle body cable mount and bolted a pivot point the throttle body linkage. Granted I installed this setup on a 98 XJ 4.0L AX15 almost 20 years ago... and it continues to work flawlessly.
Zactly the way I did mine. Works great I can set the throttle up a little which helps in the rocks. I found a shifter lever on Ebay for cheap.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis