DIY hand throttle through firewall or to skinny pedal?

scottgraham

Just another bad habit
Supporting Member
I've been reading as many threads on this as I can find.
What's the consensus?
6 of one, half dozen of the other?
I saw @jjvw had mentioned one to the pedal...as did a few others.
I'm good to do either, which ever is the most reliable after install.
Thanks in advance.

I can't remember why I switched from pedal to the throttle body.

The hand throttle is not a difficult installation... and works great when doing technical obstacles with a manual transmission. I attached the bicycle derailer control to the shifter handle, then ran the cable thru the shifter boot, up the transmission tunnel and clamped it to the throttle body cable mount and bolted a pivot point the throttle body linkage. Granted I installed this setup on a 98 XJ 4.0L AX15 almost 20 years ago... and it continues to work flawlessly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I bought a complete set of bicycle cables from walmart. Four cables in all, two for the derailers, and two for brakes. I needed the longest cable in the set to reach the TB following the same route through the engine bay as the pedal linkage and cruise control. The shifter I bought from Amazon came with a cable but it was not long enough. I have the shifter mounted on the shifter.

What length of cable is required to go from the shifter mounted derailer to the TB?

My installation was BA (Before Amazon) so I purchased the derailer/cable at a local bicycle shop which has long since closed.
They would cut the cable and cable housing in custom lengths and I over estimated the length. I purchased 12' and cut mine back to what i needed.

My installation was BA (Before Amazon) so I purchased the derailer/cable at a local bicycle shop which has long since closed.
They would cut the cable and cable housing in custom lengths and I over estimated the length. I purchased 12' and cut mine back to what i needed.
OK, Thanks

The pedal install is much easier. On my 04 it involved drilling one single hole. The downside is there aren't kits or detailed instructions on the internet. I have a write up somewhere on here with some details. The only reason people do it the old way is because that's all they know.

The pedal install is much easier. On my 04 it involved drilling one single hole. The downside is there aren't kits or detailed instructions on the internet. I have a write up somewhere on here with some details. The only reason people do it the old way is because that's all they know.
It looked like it was easier...makes sense. "Well this is the way we've always done it".
THX!

Doesn’t get any easier than this.

TeraFlex 4870400 Throttle Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D9W7IK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Looks very much like what I installed almost 20 years ago...

DSC02994.JPG

Reactions: Daryl
I just did one to the throttle body, I looked at doing the pedal install, if I’m not happy with the input/output ratio I will try to the peddle.

Explain how it is easier please. Also which is the BETTER way? What works better and gives you the most control?
I'd like to read your write-up and give it a go.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I think they both work the same, it really isn't anything big. I like the fact that there is no cable in the engine compartment, no heat to worry about on what is basically a bicycle cable and nothing going through the firewall. I'll see if I can dig up what I posted.

Reactions: Wildman