DIY Handheld HAM Radio Mount for TJ

Doug Rodgers

I needed a way to mount my Baofeng UV-82HP handheld HAM radio to the dash of my 2004 Jeep Wrangler. I wanted something simple and not too expensive. I liked the models that used a custom bracket that attached behind the passenger side grab handle, but I could not find anything for the TJ. After my search came up empty, I decided to build my own. Total cost was about $8.00 and it took me about two hours to complete with basic tools. Here are the steps:

1) I went to Home Depot and purchased an 8 in. x 8 in. 14-Gauge L Strap for $6.85. I went to Michael's and purchased a 9 in. x 12 in. Adhesive Foam Sheet for $1.00.

2) I created a pattern by using thin cardboard from a cereal box, and tested the fit. I have included my pattern below as a .pdf attachment. You can cut it out and trace it onto the L-Strap with a Sharpie. Make sure you print it 'Actual Size' so that it uses the full 8 inches of one side of the L-Strap. You may want to test fit the paper cutout before tracing it onto the L-Strap.

3) I used a jig saw with metal cutting blade to cut out the shape including the hole for the grab bar. The hole is a strange shape because it half way overlaps the hole that was already in the L-Strap. I used a bench grinder and file to clean up all the edges.

4) I don't know if this is necessary, but since this is a galvanized L-Strap, I used a grinder with a sanding flap wheel to grind the galvanized coating off. I wasn't sure if my paint would flake off of the galvanized coating.

5) I placed the bracket in my bench vise (on the dotted lines) and used my hand and a hammer to make the two bends. The bend angles are included in the .pdf pattern that is attached below.

6) I gave it about three light coats of black satin paint. After 24 hours, I cut out a small piece of adhesive foam and attached it to the front side where the radio attaches. This eliminated the rattling due to vibrations while driving.

7) Finally, I removed the glove box, then removed the grab handle by removing the two 10mm nuts from behind, attached the bracket and reassembled everything.

I am very happy with the final result. The radio is rock solid, but still easy to remove. It uses the belt clip to lock the radio into the bracket. My radio is the Baofeng UV-82HP. If you have a different model, you may need to cut the rectangle hole for the belt clip in a different location. Just test it out on some thin cardboard. Here are a bunch of photos. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bracket 08.JPG

Attachments

• Jeep TJ Handheld Radio Bracket Pattern.pdf
    99.2 KB · Views: 725
Nice job. Rugged Radios have a couple nice/cheap options for those looking for an off the shelf solution.
Thanks Bababooey. Were you able to find any mounts that would work on the TJ? I found the one for the JK. I don't understand why they wouldn't make the same mount for the TJ. My mount is done now, but I am still curious because I searched for quite a while.

That's way more professional than just clipping the radio to a half-rolled down window! :)

That looks great, wish I had seen it sooner. I'm still going to use your idea though and modify it a tad.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks great. It looks a lot like the Pro Fit that I used. I got a JP-72-97 from Pro Fit and added a piece of ABS to make it taller and give me a place to make a hole for the clip to hook on. The end result looks very similar to what you put together.

Reactions: TheRock
I needed a way to mount my Baofeng UV-82HP handheld HAM radio to the dash of my 2004 Jeep Wrangler. I wanted something simple and not too expensive. I liked the models that used a custom bracket that attached behind the passenger side grab handle, but I could not find anything for the TJ. After my search came up empty, I decided to build my own. Total cost was about $8.00 and it took me about two hours to complete with basic tools. Here are the steps:

1) I went to Home Depot and purchased an 8 in. x 8 in. 14-Gauge L Strap for $6.85. I went to Michael's and purchased a 9 in. x 12 in. Adhesive Foam Sheet for $1.00.
View attachment 79642View attachment 79643

2) I created a pattern by using thin cardboard from a cereal box, and tested the fit. I have included my pattern below as a .pdf attachment. You can cut it out and trace it onto the L-Strap with a Sharpie. Make sure you print it 'Actual Size' so that it uses the full 8 inches of one side of the L-Strap. You may want to test fit the paper cutout before tracing it onto the L-Strap.

3) I used a jig saw with metal cutting blade to cut out the shape including the hole for the grab bar. The hole is a strange shape because it half way overlaps the hole that was already in the L-Strap. I used a bench grinder and file to clean up all the edges.

4) I don't know if this is necessary, but since this is a galvanized L-Strap, I used a grinder with a sanding flap wheel to grind the galvanized coating off. I wasn't sure if my paint would flake off of the galvanized coating.

5) I placed the bracket in my bench vise (on the dotted lines) and used my hand and a hammer to make the two bends. The bend angles are included in the .pdf pattern that is attached below.

6) I gave it about three light coats of black satin paint. After 24 hours, I cut out a small piece of adhesive foam and attached it to the front side where the radio attaches. This eliminated the rattling due to vibrations while driving.

7) Finally, I removed the glove box, then removed the grab handle by removing the two 10mm nuts from behind, attached the bracket and reassembled everything.

I am very happy with the final result. The radio is rock solid, but still easy to remove. It uses the belt clip to lock the radio into the bracket. My radio is the Baofeng UV-82HP. If you have a different model, you may need to cut the rectangle hole for the belt clip in a different location. Just test it out on some thin cardboard. Here are a bunch of photos. Let me know if you have any questions.
View attachment 79647View attachment 79648View attachment 79649View attachment 79650View attachment 79651View attachment 79652View attachment 79653View attachment 79655View attachment 79656View attachment 79657View attachment 79658View attachment 79659

View attachment 79654
That is very well done!

That whole panel blows open like a bomb going off when the airbag fires and the radio goes flying who knows where. Obviously the risk is low but at least give it a second of thought and be sure you at least understand what happens.

Reactions: Stinkbug
Great idea! Here's my setup.

I'm using a camera clamp and ball arm from Amazon.
The main bracket holding my UV5R is a "Builder Bracket." One of the guys on the Toyota forums makes them. There was a big enough demand, he has a website dedicated to selling them for ~$15.
Lastly, I'm using a phone holder magnet on the back of my Baofeng mic with a few thick steel washers epoxied behind the dash as mounting points.

I wanted a setup that was completely removable and left no trace. Finally got it dialed in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kzPGZXVJYHCpPhnCA

Reactions: Twopoint

The main bracket holding my UV5R is a "Builder Bracket." One of the guys on the Toyota forums makes them. There was a big enough demand, he has a website dedicated to selling them for ~$15.
Lastly, I'm using a phone holder magnet on the back of my Baofeng mic with a few thick steel washers epoxied behind the dash as mounting points.

I wanted a setup that was completely removable and left no trace. Finally got it dialed in.

the magnet does not effect the microphone?

View attachment 79642View attachment 79643

View attachment 79647View attachment 79648View attachment 79649View attachment 79650View attachment 79651View attachment 79652View attachment 79653View attachment 79655View attachment 79656View attachment 79657View attachment 79658View attachment 79659

View attachment 79654
Can you please send me attachment. [email protected]

Is this website still up, selling the Builder Brackets?