DIY Hardtop Hoist

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I finally got around to rigging up a hoist. Very simple. Some of the hardware I had lying around, some of it I got in the hardware aisle at Lowes. Here's a list:

4 single axle swivel pulleys
2 single axle wall-mount pulleys
2 light-duty cargo straps
4 lag hooks
scrap lumber
boat trailer hand crank

I basically just made it look like the hoists available for purchase online, but instead of a come along for mechanical advantage I had a hand winch from an old boat trailer that I used instead. I pulled the Jeep in the garage, marked the corners of the hard top on the ceiling and found the closest joists. I lagged in a hook on each corner and hung a swivel pulley. Then I screwed in a wall-mount pulley next to the corners closest to the walls. This kept the rope from the front corners flush with the ceiling and allowed all four ropes to meet the winch at the same angle. Then I rigged up a scrap lumber contraption to allow the winch to sit far enough away from the wall to use the hand crank and I lagged it into a stud. Pulled the TJ in, lined it up, ran two cargo straps from corner to corner and tied the cargo strap hooks to the rope. Up she went, couldn't have been easier. Total time was about 3 hours.

Cost wise the hardware would set you back about $30 from Lowes... The hand crank winch can be had a marine store for somewhere around $50. If my hardtop ends up falling on my '77 Mercury I will come back and let everyone know what not to do.

Last edited:
Nicely done! I used the Lange hoist with mine. However, with as much work as I put in to get it installed, I realized afterwards I could have just as easily built my own like you did. There’s really not much to it to be honest.

Nicely done! I used the Lange hoist with mine. However, with as much work as I put in to get it installed, I realized afterwards I could have just as easily built my own like you did. There’s really not much to it to be honest.

There really isn't Chris. I was going to order that Harken hoist but after looking at pictures of it I thought I could just run down to Lowes and grab all the same stuff for half the price. Plus I had a bunch of extra crap like straps and rope lying around that needed to get put to use.

Reactions: Hog
There really isn't Chris. I was going to order that Harken hoist but after looking at pictures of it I thought I could just run down to Lowes and grab all the same stuff for half the price. Plus I had a bunch of extra crap like straps and rope lying around that needed to get put to use.

I agree. The only thing I really like about the Lange hoist is the T-bar and hook setup it uses to attach to the top and distribute the weight evenly. That’s one thing that may have been a little more difficult for me to piece together myself.

Reactions: qslim
I agree. The only thing I really like about the Lange hoist is the T-bar and hook setup it uses to attach to the top and distribute the weight evenly. That’s one thing that may have been a little more difficult for me to piece together myself.

Yeah, I looked that contraption up and it doesn't look like a bad deal. Probably more of a hardy setup than just running the straps around the hardtop edge. Might not be a bad idea to put some kind of padding under the straps for peace of mind.

I made a hoist system under the carport section of my workshop for the RallyTops hard top that came on my LJ. I got a worm drive crank from Harbor Freight, various pully's, shackles, links, chain and cable from Lowes. I used tie down straps to lift the top off the Jeep and once I got it where I wanted it, ran some eye bolt screws into the joists and hung chain from it which attached to some 2x6's. Then I let a little weight off of the hoist so that the chain and 2x6's support the weight. It worked out pretty good. It hasn't moved in 2 years though since putting my soft top on. LOL

Hardtop hoist.JPG

Yeah, I looked that contraption up and it doesn't look like a bad deal. Probably more of a hardy setup than just running the straps around the hardtop edge. Might not be a bad idea to put some kind of padding under the straps for peace of mind.

I had the straps I ran around the top before and they worked, but this makes taking the top off even easier than it was with the straps, which I'm happy about.

Here's what I did for my wifes jk. Used unistrut and 4 inch u bolts. Then just got a harbor freight electric hoist. Prob got $150 total in it. The top of the t goes over the doors and the bottom by the back glass.
Sorry dont have any pics actually holding the top.

20160726_100614.jpg

20160726_100912.jpg

20160726_100834.jpg

Here's what I did for my wifes jk. Used unistrut and 4 inch u bolts. Then just got a harbor freight electric hoist. Prob got $150 total in it. The top of the t goes over the doors and the bottom by the back glass.

Dude, that's a great idea. Never even heard of Unistrut. I'm doing that. I had to put the top back on this week (I don't have a soft top and I'm cheap) because of a massive Utah rainstorm (.25 inches), and it was not incredibly convenient to mess with the straps that I used in my DIY homebrew rig. I found that Unistrut stuff at the local Home Depot and I'm gonna make my setup a little more convenient.

This is why I love this forum

A studfinder will definitely eliminate the creation of woodpecker holes. How much do these tops weigh? I’m going to have to remove mine next month and am looking how to do it and permanent storage until I decide to get rid of it.

Once you have the top hanging, please send a pic. I like the way this build has started.

I used the Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System and I like it, but was a real PIA to get it set up. I do like the pulley system which helps reduce the required manpower to operate, but nothing as easy as a mechanical device or small winch.

Hi all! My garage is too narrow and low (under 8') for me to use a hoist. I also need the option to move the top around a bit instead of having it hang straight up. Here's what I came up with:

$240 shop crane from Amazon + some scrap wood and carpet I had laying around.

Takes about 8 minutes to pop it off. I can then move it around the garage. Makes putting it back on pretty easy too. I don't bother with the straps anymore, it's stable just on the wood.

top1.jpg

top2.jpg

top3.JPG

top4.jpg

Hi all! My garage is too narrow and low (under 8') for me to use a hoist. I also need the option to move the top around a bit instead of having it hang straight up. Here's what I came up with:

$240 shop crane from Amazon + some scrap wood and carpet I had laying around.

Takes about 8 minutes to pop it off. I can then move it around the garage. Makes putting it back on pretty easy too. I don't bother with the straps anymore, it's stable just on the wood.

View attachment 112210

View attachment 112211

View attachment 112212

View attachment 112213

That's a really smart idea, nice work!