DIY Rear Storage System

Hammer24

TJ Enthusiast
The past 4-5 weeks of lockdown I've been working on a little project in my spare time. Wasn't too keen on any of the rear storage systems on the market so I figured I would make one myself. This isn't exactly a build thread but I figured I might as well post up some pics i took throughout building it to show you guys how I did it in case anyone wants to build something similar or take some inspiration from it.

I used AA grade 12mm marine ply for the whole thing so it's waterproof and the whole thing is super strong.

So I started with the base. I used some countersunk m8 bolts to bolt it into the rear seat mounts holes.
1.png

I cut up these pieces to mock up the main part of the system and check that it all fits.
2.png

Screwed these parts together. Because the screws were being screwed into the end of the ply I drilled pilot holes and had to be very careful not to split or bulge the ply but it ended up super strong. The halves are divided up so that my little fridge will fit on the left and I can make a drawer for the right.
3.png

It took ages to get it just right but I cut the hole for the fridge so it would fit perfectly snug to stop it rattling around.
4.png

Then I put these little dividers and edges on just to help with organisation and things falling off or into the fridge.
5.png

This was the first test fit. To put it in you gotta take the roof off and slide it in sideways which is a bit of a pain for all the test fitting but fine because I plan on having it in 99% of the time. It fit perfectly, nice and tight that is probably doesn't even need those bolts to hold it down but better safe than sorry.
6.png

Another tight fit but my swag just fits in where I intended (A swag is a 1 person tent sorta thing for you yanks).
7.png

So I got the drawer made up next. To save space I used this this nylon plastic for the drawer to run on instead of traditional drawer slides. It slides nice and smoothly and even saved me some money too.
9.png

10.png

Used some wood filler to cover up the screws and ready it for paint.
12.png

I used a black exterior paint to make sure it's tough and durable enough for the inevitable abuse. I originally tried to rattle can it but it just looked crap so I cracked the brush and tin out.
13.png

Once the paint was dry I cut some rubber backed marine carpet to shape and carpeted the top faces, the back face and inside the drawer.
14.png
15.png

Here's a rough idea of how the top areas are going to be used to store water, fuel, air compressor and recovery kit.
16.png

I used these D rings to secure all the cargo loaded on the top. They're plenty strong enough but they rattled pretty bad so I took them apart and put some duck tape around the D ring so they fit snug into the mounts and don't rattle at all.
17.png

You can see a bit better the rest of the tie downs I put on the top, and also the mounts I used to mount my axe behind my drivers seat. They're called quick fists and can be found on ebay.
18.png

Here's the final installation. Pretty stoked with how it looks and fits and all.
19.png

20.png
\
You can see I've lined the inside of the drawer with the same rubber backed marine carpet as on the top and back so all my food stuff doesn't rattle around in there too much. If you look close you can also just see the magnetic latch I've used to stop the drawer rattling open on the trails. It's a heavy duty 10kg pull strength magnetic cabinet latch and it does the job well.
21.png

Easy access to my axe and whatever cargo is on top through my drivers side.
22.png

And plenty of space to access the fridge on the passenger side.
23.png

And lastly a pic just to show how it doesn't interfere with the driver position at all, both seats can be moved as far back as before.
24.png

So that's it, hope everyone enjoyed my little project and maybe even got some ideas for their own Jeep.

7.png

8.png

11.png

Last edited:
If I didn’t need a back seat I would do something like this. Awesome work!

Reactions: matkal
Awesome work!

I especially like the dimensions and placement of the fridge.

At first I was like, "but he put it behind the drivers seat, hows he supposed to refresh his buzz while on the road?"

Then i remembered, "oh yea, 'Stralia!, everything is upside down and backwards there"

Also nicely done how you left room to chuck stuff in like a truckbed.

Very clean looking and thank you for sharing. I'm on the verge of removing my back seat and weighing my options on what to do...

Awesome work!

I especially like the dimensions and placement of the fridge.

At first I was like, "but he put it behind the drivers seat, hows he supposed to refresh his buzz while on the road?"

Then i remembered, "oh yea, 'Stralia!, everything is upside down and backwards there"

Also nicely done how you left room to chuck stuff in like a truckbed.
fridge? Lol, at first I thought that was darn printer and couldn’t understand why he would want that.

The past 4-5 weeks of lockdown I've been working on a little project in my spare time. Wasn't too keen on any of the rear storage systems on the market so I figured I would make one myself. This isn't exactly a build thread but I figured I might as well post up some pics i took throughout building it to show you guys how I did it in case anyone wants to build something similar or take some inspiration from it.

I used AA grade 12mm marine ply for the whole thing so it's waterproof and the whole thing is super strong.

So I started with the base. I used some countersunk m8 bolts to bolt it into the rear seat mounts holes.
View attachment 164084
I cut up these pieces to mock up the main part of the system and check that it all fits.
View attachment 164085
Screwed these parts together. Because the screws were being screwed into the end of the ply I drilled pilot holes and had to be very careful not to split or bulge the ply but it ended up super strong. The halves are divided up so that my little fridge will fit on the left and I can make a drawer for the right.
View attachment 164086
It took ages to get it just right but I cut the hole for the fridge so it would fit perfectly snug to stop it rattling around.
View attachment 164087
Then I put these little dividers and edges on just to help with organisation and things falling off or into the fridge.
View attachment 164088
This was the first test fit. To put it in you gotta take the roof off and slide it in sideways which is a bit of a pain for all the test fitting but fine because I plan on having it in 99% of the time. It fit perfectly, nice and tight that is probably doesn't even need those bolts to hold it down but better safe than sorry.
View attachment 164089
Another tight fit but my swag just fits in where I intended (A swag is a 1 person tent sorta thing for you yanks).
View attachment 164090
So I got the drawer made up next. To save space I used this this nylon plastic for the drawer to run on instead of traditional drawer slides. It slides nice and smoothly and even saved me some money too.
View attachment 164094
View attachment 164095
Used some wood filler to cover up the screws and ready it for paint.
View attachment 164097
I used a black exterior paint to make sure it's tough and durable enough for the inevitable abuse. I originally tried to rattle can it but it just looked crap so I cracked the brush and tin out.
View attachment 164098
Once the paint was dry I cut some rubber backed marine carpet to shape and carpeted the top faces, the back face and inside the drawer.
View attachment 164099View attachment 164100
Here's a rough idea of how the top areas are going to be used to store water, fuel, air compressor and recovery kit.
View attachment 164101
I used these D rings to secure all the cargo loaded on the top. They're plenty strong enough but they rattled pretty bad so I took them apart and put some duck tape around the D ring so they fit snug into the mounts and don't rattle at all.
View attachment 164102
You can see a bit better the rest of the tie downs I put on the top, and also the mounts I used to mount my axe behind my drivers seat. They're called quick fists and can be found on ebay.
View attachment 164103
Here's the final installation. Pretty stoked with how it looks and fits and all.
View attachment 164104
View attachment 164105\
You can see I've lined the inside of the drawer with the same rubber backed marine carpet as on the top and back so all my food stuff doesn't rattle around in there too much. If you look close you can also just see the magnetic latch I've used to stop the drawer rattling open on the trails. It's a heavy duty 10kg pull strength magnetic cabinet latch and it does the job well.
View attachment 164106
Easy access to my axe and whatever cargo is on top through my drivers side.
View attachment 164107
And plenty of space to access the fridge on the passenger side.
View attachment 164108
And lastly a pic just to show how it doesn't interfere with the driver position at all, both seats can be moved as far back as before.
View attachment 164091
So that's it, hope everyone enjoyed my little project and maybe even got some ideas for their own Jeep.

View attachment 164092

View attachment 164093

View attachment 164096
The storage system looks solid and well thought out.

I recently just purchased a TJ this past year and have finally decided to remove the rear seat and build a storage system for the rear. I have been looking for a DIY storage system just like this but cannot seem to find any specs on the cuts for the material. Would you mind sending me the specs for this build? also what Bolts did you use to mount the storage system to the rear seat bracket bolt holes?

The storage system looks solid and well thought out.

I recently just purchased a TJ this past year and have finally decided to remove the rear seat and build a storage system for the rear. I have been looking for a DIY storage system just like this but cannot seem to find any specs on the cuts for the material. Would you mind sending me the specs for this build? also what Bolts did you use to mount the storage system to the rear seat bracket bolt holes?
Thanks for the kind words mate, what sort of specs were you looking for? The material is just AA grade 12mm marine ply that I got a few big sheets of, the whole storage system itself just spans the full width of the tub. As for the bolts, any M8 thread bolt will screw into the seat bracket holes and I used countersunk ones to mount them flush for convenience. cheers

Very nice, I’ll take one in the same color, just ship it to East Tennessee! Like someone mentioned it looks super thought out, wish I could do something like this to mine, but need the backseat for my kids!

This is outstanding, Hammer24.

How much can your seats recline now? I'd like to put something like this in mine, but I want the passenger to be able to nap.

And can you estimate the width from the back of the shelf to the rear gate--where your swag is now? It looks huge somehow in your pics. I'm thinking I could extend the shelf backwards to give my dog enough room to stretch out and to run my larger Chinese fridge.

Thanks!

This is outstanding, Hammer24.

How much can your seats recline now? I'd like to put something like this in mine, but I want the passenger to be able to nap.

And can you estimate the width from the back of the shelf to the rear gate--where your swag is now? It looks huge somehow in your pics. I'm thinking I could extend the shelf backwards to give my dog enough room to stretch out and to run my larger Chinese fridge.

Thanks!
The seats can't recline far back anyway can they? This might slightly inhibit how far back they go but if it would, it wouldn't be by much I dont think.

That space there I would estimate is roughly maybe 35cm? You could definitely just make the drawer set up extend the whole way if you didnt need that space though yeah

The seats can't recline far back anyway can they? This might slightly inhibit how far back they go but if it would, it wouldn't be by much I dont think.

That space there I would estimate is roughly maybe 35cm? You could definitely just make the drawer set up extend the whole way if you didnt need that space though yeah
Thanks for the info/brainstorming.

My seats seem to be stock, and they can actually recline really far back!

I tried it out while I was thinking through the shelf build, and it surprised me. It was almost like laying down.

I like what you’ve done. Storage is always an issue on these TJs!

Hey so i kind of need your help and i really hope you can reply fast or just help in general. But im trying to build a storage system and the short story is i dont have my jeep on me so i can get the dimensions to build something similar to this but honestly its going ti be a lot different. But could you post a picture of that desgin with the measurements? Please and thank you.

Hey so i kind of need your help and i really hope you can reply fast or just help in general. But im trying to build a storage system and the short story is i dont have my jeep on me so i can get the dimensions to build something similar to this but honestly its going ti be a lot different. But could you post a picture of that desgin with the measurements? Please and thank you.
sorry mate I'm actually in quarantine atm and wont be able to get those measurements for at least 10 days, perhaps someone else can?

• Wow
Reactions: UKTJ