DIY Slider Concerns

Well, not for nothing but the way you and someguy have explained it, if I take my rosebud torch and heat up the two long pieces clamped at an angle and let them cool, they will now be warped. That isn't exactly true.
the contraction of the filler does the pulling , no? why they used to peen welds back in the day or you still do joinin different metals to compensate for this shrinkage or contraction.

Last edited:
the contraction of the filler does the pulling , no? not the heat.
There ya go. You can heat steel up and cool it over and over and unless you are releasing some internal stress from the manufacturing process, no reason it will warp. OTOH, if you weld it, the filler is molten and shrinks as it cools which will move whatever it is sticking together. If you get enough filler it will move lots of something.

I've said this before, I have a buddy who built a vise stand out of 1" plate at least 36" in diameter. He set a chunk of heavy wall tube in the middle of it and ran several passes around the tube to attach it to the base plate. When it was done, the entire outer edge of the 1" plate lifted up over 1/8".

Reactions: someguysjeep
There ya go. You can heat steel up and cool it over and over and unless you are releasing some internal stress from the manufacturing process, no reason it will warp. OTOH, if you weld it, the filler is molten and shrinks as it cools which will move whatever it is sticking together. If you get enough filler it will move lots of something.

I've said this before, I have a buddy who built a vise stand out of 1" plate at least 36" in diameter. He set a chunk of heavy wall tube in the middle of it and ran several passes around the tube to attach it to the base plate. When it was done, the entire outer edge of the 1" plate lifted up over 1/8".
i get just a little more practice at this stuff than most.

yesterday i made 6 stools (feet) for a unit thats gonna hold 50K. 3ft tall, 12" wide flange 1" plates top and bottom, gussets.....blah blah blah.
988 inches of weld later i finished them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
BS, the only reason to buy is if you can't make it or don't wanna try.
Well I get 60 per hour, so my last set of shrock works were 6 hours worth, I couldn’t build them in 6 hours and get as nice of a product and I have fab skills and I can weld. I just know my limitations on time, I would rather install.