DIY Sunrider Top Conversion

SgtMajor138

Long-time Jeeper
Supporting Member
A few years ago (and a few TJs ago), I ran across instructions on a DIY sunrider conversion that was similar to Stu Olson's but instead of using velcro to secure the top, you actually drilled holes from the soft top frame through the door surrounds and used a pin and clip on each side to hold the top in place. Of course, I did not save the instructions because I knew I would remember how to do something like this!!! :)
Anyway, has anyone seen such a setup or have any ideas when a man might find instructions? If I had a spare frame I was not afraid of destroying, I'd experiment, but I don't have an extra one laying around.
Of the few DIY sunrider top conversions I have been able to find, each one does a great job, but I really liked how the one I used in the past held the remaining top in place.

Thanks in advance. Always enjoy reading through this forum and the awesome brain-trust that contributes here!!

Stu's link: https://www.stu-offroad.com/otherwriteups/sunroof/sunroof-1.htm

My version is buried in my build thread. I made a hinge from a pair of bow knuckles to make the folding section.

The "Sunrider" is nice to have, but I rarely make use of it. It's either all or nothing, as far as the main canopy is concerned.

Reactions: Edward Turner
Neat idea, but I will echo what @jjvw said: with the Sunrider it's cool, but hardly ever used. I had it on my JK and either took off the whole soft top or left it on completely, same with the "Freedom panels" on the hard top. In five years I maybe did it two or three times between the two tops (and I didn't have the hard top until the last year).

Reactions: Edward Turner
That top flap it creates is super annoying when you’re in motion.

That's very true. It would sometimes slap me on my head at highway speeds, not to make it sound painful, it wasn't (and I got a bald head) but it was really annoying. I could tuck it in a certain way, but sometimes it'd come loose after a while, and you wouldn't think about it until it was an issue, and when it was an issue, it's not like you could do anything about it until you got off the highway and went to a stop.

However, after I got one of those webbed shades, I'd keep it on as long as the soft top was on, that would mitigate it, but that also just made it more difficult to fold it back in the first place.

This item is still too much work for the functionality of it though. Going through all that work I would just take the windows out and flip it all the way back. The issue is every kit you still have to pull out the tabs over the doors. With the jl it’s just undo 2 latches and throw it back. Takes 5 seconds. Even the trecktop for the tj isn’t that easy.

That top flap it creates is super annoying when you’re in motion.
It certainly can be. Securing the rest of the soft top is also a bit of a challenge, especially when making the clips with hardware store pieces.

When I did this in the past, I enjoyed the option of being able to open the front without having to remove all of the windows and put the top completely down. When I had my JKU, I took out the Freedom panels a lot in the spring and fall when the weather was nice, once I had put the hard top back on.

When I did this in the past, I enjoyed the option of being able to open the front without having to remove all of the windows and put the top completely down. When I had my JKU, I took out the Freedom panels a lot in the spring and fall when the weather was nice, once I had put the hard top back on.
Did you do this actual mod? I'm strongly thinking about it!

I did not install the FlipTop kit mentioned but I did "modify" a soft top on a previous Jeep TJ to make it a sunrider.

It is like most other DIY projects on a Jeep; it is great for some and not so much for others. :)

I did not install the FlipTop kit mentioned but I did "modify" a soft top on a previous Jeep TJ to make it a sunrider.

It is like most other DIY projects on a Jeep; it is great for some and not so much for others. :)
Yeah, that's about how it usually goes...! Were there any big drawbacks you had? I really would only use this during the spring/fall, otherwise the top is off. Don't drive in the rain or winter.

Yeah, that's about how it usually goes...! Were there any big drawbacks you had? I really would only use this during the spring/fall, otherwise the top is off. Don't drive in the rain or winter.
I installed the flipurtop...was nicely put together kit, I believe I got it with an ebay 15% off coupon and free ship. That was enough for me no to reverse engineer and make one myself. The biggest issue is if you want to remove the rear windows I needed a bunch of extra velcro straps to hold the top to the rollbar sides. Now to be fair, he does mention that in his instructions.

I did use it, but eventually just put the top down, pulled the door uppers off and kept it in the garage on any potential rainy days.

I installed the flipurtop...was nicely put together kit, I believe I got it with an ebay 15% off coupon and free ship. That was enough for me no to reverse engineer and make one myself. The biggest issue is if you want to remove the rear windows I needed a bunch of extra velcro straps to hold the top to the rollbar sides. Now to be fair, he does mention that in his instructions.

I did use it, but eventually just put the top down, pulled the door uppers off and kept it in the garage on any potential rainy days.
Did you have to use those Velcro straps if you just had the top flipped off and one or two of the front windows zipped down? Or was that just if you removed all of the rear windows?