DLC not working with code reader

I have a new code reader (just moved and left my old one behind). My old one was used many times (on my 97 TJ), so my DLC connector was always working. For some reason, it is not powering the new reader. I bought it at O'Reilly's and to test it, they plugged it into their delivery car and it worked fine. Is there a fuse I can check that powers the DLC? Anyone know?

Can't be the scanner. The guy at O'Reilly's walked it over to his delivery vehicle with me, plugged it in, and the display lit right up. On my Jeep, nothing at all.

You've tried it with ignition on and ignition off?

It can be the scanner though, it is possible. Some scanners don't have the right interface to work with certain types of vehicles. For instance, my scanner works great on my Jeep, but it didn't work very well on my BMW M5. It worked, just not all of the features were available.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this chimes in, because I am not sure there's a fuse or anything for anything like this.

Sometimes it has to do with the fact that different manufacturers use different connection protocols to talk to the scanners. When I bought this scanner I specifically made sure that Chrysler / Jeep was on the list of vehicles it worked with.

I remember it saying something like it only had limited functionality with BMW, Audi and VW, and I've found that to be true from first hand experience.

crap, you're probably right. bad thing is that they won't take it back at O'Reilly's. I think they are afraid people buy them to read a code just once, then return them. There goes $60.

crap, you're probably right. bad thing is that they won't take it back at O'Reilly's. I think they are afraid people buy them to read a code just once, then return them. There goes $60.

You're kidding me? That's gotta be the worst return policy ever. I know autozone will return anything with a receipt.

I have a scanner that will work on all my vehicles, EXCEPT the jeep.
I can't figure it out either, about every 5th or 8th time I plug it in to the jeep it will work, but most of the time it won't.
Oh, and if it does work, within a few seconds the reader will say "Lost Connection". I even tried using some contact cleaner on the port thinking maybe some mud got in there.

Reactions: Chris
Never thought of that. I had a Acton PocketScan that did work. This one, a Bosch OBD 1000, doesn't. Both are OBD-II, so not sure why one wouldn't work.
Found a Bosch scanner laying on the street awhile back. It reads my 99 just fine, but I have to tell it that it's talking to a jeep. Don't know what model it is off the top of my head. I'll look when I get off work tomorrow.

Edited to add: The one I found is a Bosch 1150. Different rig.

Last edited: