Do 05-06 TJs have the same engine as 04?

Go for the 4.0. Why restrict yourself to 05-06? 03-04 are fine and some here say preferred in a few ways.

+1. Especially if you want a manual, I'd avoid the 6-speed. Not to mention the OPDA issues. Of course, this advice is coming from the proud owner of a 0331 head :D

The 05-06 4.0 engines are mostly the same as 1997-2004 but they can have issues with the OPDA (oil pump drives assembly) and with the automatic, the PCM can have issues too. Neither of those issues come up with all 05-06 4.0L engines but I personally would never buy an 05-06 TJ with the 4.0L engine.

Reactions: Daryl
The 05-06 autos have a 4 port PCM computer. The forth port being an integrated TCM for the automatic. 05-06 manual transmissions, that forth port is empty.

03-04 autos have a 3 port PCM. The TCM is separate, located on the driver's side fender behind the washer reservoir.
When my TCM failed, it was a simple 5 minute swap after sourcing a replacement. I sure was glad I had a 2004!!

The above info is for the 4.0l engine. As for any other differences, I don't have a clue!

The 05-06 autos have a 4 port PCM computer. The forth port being an integrated TCM for the automatic. 05-06 manual transmissions, that forth port is empty.

03-04 autos have a 3 port PCM. The TCM is separate, located on the driver's side fender behind the washer reservoir.
When my TCM failed, it was a simple 5 minute swap after sourcing a replacement. I sure was glad I had a 2004!!

The above info is for the 4.0l engine. As for any other differences, I don't have a clue!

Need more of this type info here!
+1. Especially if you want a manual, I'd avoid the 6-speed. Not to mention the OPDA issues. Of course, this advice is coming from the proud owner of a 0331 head :D
Why? What is the issue? Need more tech!

You can google 05–06 OPDA issues, PCM issues, and so forth and get far more in-depth information than anyone has time to type in a general-overview thread like this.

What do you have against the 6spd? I had the 5 spd in my ‘03, but I think I prefer the 6 in my ‘06.

It does occasionally not engage 1st correctly if you’re not paying attention, but other than that, no issues.

What do you have against the 6spd? I had the 5 spd in my ‘03, but I think I prefer the 6 in my ‘06.

It does occasionally not engage 1st correctly if you’re not paying attention, but other than that, no issues.

I can't speak from experience as I've never owned a 6-speed, but from what I've read they are weaker than the AX-15 and the NV3550. There are a lot of threads on the topic. As for AX-15 vs NV3550, I'd go the former because there are more parts available and they seem to be less fussy overall.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I can't speak from experience as I've never owned a 6-speed, but from what I've read they are weaker than the AX-15 and the NV3550. There are a lot of threads on the topic. As for AX-15 vs NV3550, I'd go the former because there are more parts available and they seem to be less fussy overall.

Ah. I suppose time will tell. The AX-15 does seem to be the favorite.

I suppose time will tell.

Ah. I suppose time will tell. The AX-15 does seem to be the favorite.

I suppose time will tell.

Agree. A local guy pulled his manual trans out of his wrangler(don’t recall if it was tj or jk) to swap in an ax15 due to strength. He was running a turbo or supercharger and kept going through later model manuals.

Agree. A local guy pulled his manual trans out of his wrangler(don’t recall if it was tj or jk) to swap in an ax15 due to strength. He was running a turbo or supercharger and kept going through later model manuals.

Heh. I don’t have plans for either of those things.

Never saw the appeal.

I guess if you were doing something like desert racing or whatever, but power has never been an area I felt I was lacking.

Unrelated- whereabouts in Georgia? There seem to be quite a few regular posters here in the Atlanta metro. Maybe we ought get a ride set up.

Heh. I don’t have plans for either of those things.

Never saw the appeal.

I guess if you were doing something like desert racing or whatever, but power has never been an area I felt I was lacking.

Unrelated- whereabouts in Georgia? There seem to be quite a few regular posters here in the Atlanta metro. Maybe we ought get a ride set up.

I thought I was agreeing with the ax-15 vs nv3500 mention.
No worries. Think it’s all worked out in this thread.

Near Rome Georgia.
I started a thread in the region forum looking for Georgia jeepers.
I don’t think anyone posted in it yet.

I thought I was agreeing with the ax-15 vs nv3500 mention.
No worries. Think it’s all worked out in this thread.

Near Rome Georgia.
I started a thread in the region forum looking for Georgia jeepers.
I don’t think anyone posted in it yet.

Just posted in there.

Rome is awesome. Great cigar shop downtown (or at least there was last time I was up there a few years back.)

The 05-06 4.0 engines are mostly the same as 1997-2004 but they can have issues with the OPDA (oil pump drives assembly) and with the automatic, the PCM can have issues too. Neither of those issues come up with all 05-06 4.0L engines but I personally would never buy an 05-06 TJ with the 4.0L engine.

Jerry, I have read other posts where you share your thoughts about the 05-06 4.0L. What is the problem with an 05-06 4.0L with a manual transmission? It is my understanding that the PCM could be an issue with automatics but I have not read anything yet about the PCM and manual transmissions. It is my understanding there is not issue but just checking. Is the only issue the OPDA?

Jerry, I have read other posts where you share your thoughts about the 05-06 4.0L. What is the problem with an 05-06 4.0L with a manual transmission? It is my understanding that the PCM could be an issue with automatics but I have not read anything yet about the PCM and manual transmissions. It is my understanding there is not issue but just checking. Is the only issue the OPDA?
Yes with a manual transmission. The only potential PCM problem occurs with the automatic.