Do any of your major cities have an ATV or dirt bike problem?

sierradmax

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Providence RI, about 30 minutes south of me has been battling illegal use of atv's, dirtbikes and non-registered mopeds for a couple months now. Riders are "terrorizing" the streets, according to local business owners and residents.

The first week of October, Providence police seized 150 illegal recreational vehicles and crushed 30+. Why didn't they auction them off to people like me! But the point didn't get across.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-new...dence-police-destroy-illegal-dirt-bikes-atvs/
Police, amid anti-police sentiment have been trying to contain the issue but it has been growing. Roughly 10 days ago, the media is commenting how a police officer, chasing a 24 year old man on a moped, caused the man to crash and is currently in a coma.

https://www.providencejournal.com/s...ence-moped-crash-police-gonsalves/6004690002/
This has led to numerous nightly, violent protests. The latest news that I've heard is that Providence, in conjunction with another city is thinking of building a recreational vehicle park

https://turnto10.com/news/local/ins...TcJvcr-2h0lVei6DBInrJllmU7mBD5eIdbIHxsoAIE_C8
seriously?! WTF... I ride my ATV legally on my land. I also load it and drive hours away to ride it legally. And these people think the solution is to create a "safe place" to curb illegal activities?

LOL, what the hell?

I mean I expect to hear about "peaceful protests" over other shit, but mopeds, ATVs, and dirt bike use? What the hell?

Here in Arizona these things are legal to drive on the roads.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Roughly 10 days ago, the media is commenting how a police officer, chasing a 24 year old man on a moped, caused the man to crash and is currently in a coma.
6uroBxqsn-cTqDMlHv9m9GlUZWgqzVEDHsDBWyPXN6IPurwmFm.jpg

• Haha
Every now and then I'll see somebody taking their dirt bike or ATV down the residential street to clear out the cobwebs, but it doesn't really bother anybody so nobody gets upset about it. That's been true basically everywhere I've lived.

Can't say I've ever seen one on a city street here.

It's a big problem in Atlanta. The riders come blasting down both the street and sidewalk, running red lights, and putting everyone on the road and sidewalk in danger. I was crossing the street a few months ago coming back from the grocery store (with a walk signal might I add) and a couple of guys on dirt bikes came flying thru the red light and almost hit me.

I don't care if they want to ride on the street like a car, motorcycle, or bicycle. My problem is their recklessness and disregard to traffic laws and the safety of others on the road.

Providence RI, about 30 minutes south of me has been battling illegal use of atv's, dirtbikes and non-registered mopeds for a couple months now. Riders are "terrorizing" the streets, according to local business owners and residents.

The first week of October, Providence police seized 150 illegal recreational vehicles and crushed 30+. Why didn't they auction them off to people like me! But the point didn't get across.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-new...dence-police-destroy-illegal-dirt-bikes-atvs/
Police, amid anti-police sentiment have been trying to contain the issue but it has been growing. Roughly 10 days ago, the media is commenting how a police officer, chasing a 24 year old man on a moped, caused the man to crash and is currently in a coma.

https://www.providencejournal.com/s...ence-moped-crash-police-gonsalves/6004690002/
This has led to numerous nightly, violent protests. The latest news that I've heard is that Providence, in conjunction with another city is thinking of building a recreational vehicle park

https://turnto10.com/news/local/ins...TcJvcr-2h0lVei6DBInrJllmU7mBD5eIdbIHxsoAIE_C8
seriously?! WTF... I ride my ATV legally on my land. I also load it and drive hours away to ride it legally. And these people think the solution is to create a "safe place" to curb illegal activities?
Common practice in the city(NYC) for a long long long time. Mostly summertime.

Easy fix.

Mandatory one year jail time for running from cops on those things. Track a few of them via helicopter, apply said law, problem solved.

Easy fix.

Mandatory one year jail time for running from cops on those things. Track a few of them via helicopter, apply said law, problem solved.
Easier said than done. This was a huge issue, even when Giuliani was in NYC. The bragging right was running away from the cops and getting away with it. kids on the streets all dressed the same and wearing the same colors and swapping bikes and ATVs.

There are some legends still floating around

I will never understand that logic.

Police observe person doing something illegal.
Job of Police is to identify, detain, and deal with said illegal issue.
Subject doesn't want the above to take place.
Subject hurts himself and/or others in the process of obstructing the above from taking place.
Protesters blame Police for subjects actions.
Protesters raise subject to hero status.

Special kind of dumb.....

Just make them street legal like Arizona, problem solved 😉
If only it was that easy. The people riding them are the same douchebags as the Moab UTV thread. These guys will literally do 100 mph through neighborhoods where kids are playing and then rip through your yard on their way out.

I see them all the time in York City. Go down to some brewerys or nice restaurants downtown and your bound to see a pack of kids on stolen atv's and dirtbikes riding wheelies through red lights.

we have issues in Cleveland too. gangs of 10-50 riders just taking over city streets. the police won't even try and stop them anymore. they were supposed to build them a public access atv park.
but that got tossed when they started to argue over who is legally responsible for anything that happens on the property.