Do I have to change the oil after I replace the valve cover gasket?

Does the wire harness bridge in the back of the valve cover come apart when you take the protective cover off or not? What a pita . Should have Johnny engineer come over and do it.

Check the mating surface of the valve cover too. If someone over tightened it in the past, will make it more susceptible to leaking, no gasket can fill the gaps made by a bent valve cover

Does the wire harness bridge in the back of the valve cover come apart when you take the protective cover off or not? What a pita . Should have Johnny engineer come over and do it.
Not sure what you mean about the "bridge"- I did mine a few weeks back and nothing relating to the wire harness " came apart "

Post us a picture

I just did mine yesterday. No -I did not change the oil , but I am somewhat mechanically talented( not real good - but OK) I was careful not to let anything get in there and I feel REAL good about that. If you need to take a break just throw a clean towel over it. You will need to fold the hood back all the way to the windshield. This is the gasket that you want. Fel-Pro VS 50458 R
Replace the 2 gromets Dorman 42344-- the two elbows( grey in rear with small orfice and black in fron with large orfice) Dorman 47079 & 47057
Have patience-- its a real PITA of a job-- good luck
Hey just wondering about the harness bridge in the back does that come apart or do you just have to pull it up with the rope and work with it and is there something that I don't know about that

As in my previous post-- I just dont know what your referring to as the " Bridge "

I did pull the harness out of the way with some light gage rope similar to paracord, but nothing with the wiring harness " came apart "

Not sure what you mean about the "bridge"- I did mine a few weeks back and nothing relating to the wire harness " came apart "

Post us a picture

IMG_20200114_192706.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20200114_192637_LS.mp4
    605.5 KB
mine didnt have that plastic thing in the back going over the valve cover
But I will tell you --yea, pretty well has to come off

mine didnt have that plastic thing in the back going over the valve cover
But I will tell you --yea, pretty well has to come off
I'm thinking about pulling it up with the rope attach it to the inside of the hood somehow through one of the holes and trying to get some space that way.just didn't know if I could take that cover off somehow and underneath the cover there would be a plug but that would be too easy.

Pervious owner must have chunked mine- looks possibly like a H.D. Cover for the loom / wires etc.. I could be wrong though. Mine just had wires taped up in a loom and I pulled them out of the way

Your doing good, keep at it!!!!!

the job isnt super fun-- but greatly satisfying when its all sealed up and done- then clean all the leaky oil up — really good

Pervious owner must have chunked mine- looks possibly like a H.D. Cover for the loom / wires etc.. I could be wrong though. Mine just had wires taped up in a loom and I pulled them out of the way

your 02 did not have the "bridge" it is on the later models and is a PIA but loosen all the hold down points and it can be moved far enough up to get the valve cover off.

Just like Popeye I always finish because I eat me spinach🙉 Thank you for your time.

If you are carefull, theres no need. However, i would wait till the oil change is due to replace it, then change oil after.

also i think is best practice to change the oil at the regular 3 month intervals regardless of miles.

Me and a VERY exp mech swore I had a leaky valve cover gasket & a leaky Rear main seal

I changed the valve cover gasket then sprayed EVERYTHING down with engine cleaner

Rear main is not leaking at all. Always work leaks from the top down

Me and a VERY exp mech swore I had a leaky valve cover gasket & a leaky Rear main seal

I changed the valve cover gasket then sprayed EVERYTHING down with engine cleaner

Rear main is not leaking at all. Always work leaks from the top down
I will do the valve cover gasket for sure first.