Do I have to change the oil after I replace the valve cover gasket?

Fisher

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 in it that I just bought a month ago. I discovered the valve cover gasket is leaking oil but was wondering if I have to change the oil after I replace the gasket or not is this general practice or not. The guy that I bought it from told me that it has expensive amsoil in it which only has about 2,000 miles on the oil.this is the reason I asked the question because I don't know if I should just wait a while then do it change the oil or would I be okay to just change the gasket and be careful not to get anything down by the valves. Thank you

All you have to do is keep everything that doesn't belong in the oil from falling into the oil while the valve cover is off.

It ain't going to happen that way.

Expensive oil is just oil once it's in the engine. Do it whenever is the best for you. Decent weather today? Do them both today. Better weather in another 1000 miles? Do them then.

I'm having trouble finding a Fel-Pro blue gasket and it seems to me by the videos that I've watched that's the main one that is used but I'm able to get a black Fel-Pro gasket what's your opinion on that one

I would have already changed the oil but it's brand new and looks that way too and he showed me the bottles empty bottles of amsoil oil that he just put in it. So I think I'll just go ahead and change it and my vacuum handy in case any gasket material falls in there and go with that thank you

I'm having trouble finding a Fel-Pro blue gasket and it seems to me by the videos that I've watched that's the main one that is used but I'm able to get a black Fel-Pro gasket what's your opinion on that one

That should be fine, either way it is a quality gasket.

I just did mine yesterday. No -I did not change the oil , but I am somewhat mechanically talented( not real good - but OK) I was careful not to let anything get in there and I feel REAL good about that. If you need to take a break just throw a clean towel over it. You will need to fold the hood back all the way to the windshield. This is the gasket that you want. Fel-Pro VS 50458 R
Replace the 2 gromets Dorman 42344-- the two elbows( grey in rear with small orfice and black in fron with large orfice) Dorman 47079 & 47057
Have patience-- its a real PITA of a job-- good luck

Reactions: MountaineerTom
And be careful not to loose any of the bolt crush washers. I lost 2 and had to source some from Davey's Jeeps.
The wire harness bridge is a PITA!

+1 on the dry
Ran mine about a couple of hours already and ZERO signs of leaks.
I and a pal of mine were pretty sure I had a rear main leak also.
Its amazing when you stop the top leaker-- that the rear main suddenly doesn't leak anymore!!!!!