Do I just need coil spacers?

balfred

TJ Enthusiast
So my Jeep has a 6 inch rough country kit (don't hate) and it used to sit perfectly level with even space between the tire and fender, front and back. Then a V8 landed in my engine bay and it squarshed my suspension down in the front and ever so slightly raised the rear. Do I just add a coil spacer to account for the difference or look for a stiffer set of 6 inch front coils or what? I'm not sure what the best way to go is.

Before:
a92efbef3dd713eb87d8fd67618f420d.jpg

After:
Front
44653cd4a91bb6d1a7d397d677aa5d10.jpg

Rear
4a063926ae0838ea5ef1ce0f36be89cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Do you know the weight of the V8 versus the 4.0 (assuming it was a 4.0) that you removed?

If you gained a substantial amount of weight with the V8 swap, it would be more beneficial to add a set of springs that is setup for a heavier weight. However, adding a set of coil spring spacers would be the cheap and easy way to do it for sure.

Do you know the weight of the V8 versus the 4.0 (assuming it was a 4.0) that you removed?

If you gained a substantial amount of weight with the V8 swap, it would be more beneficial to add a set of springs that is setup for a heavier weight. However, adding a set of coil spring spacers would be the cheap and easy way to do it for sure.
So it was actually just the 4 cylinder that I replaced. I want to say my fabricator thought that the new setup weighed about 500 lbs more than it originally had but I can't remember for sure. The interesting thing is that when I replaced my winch and heavier bumper with just a straight bumper it didn't raise at all and that was probably 75 lbs that I shed.

Here are some poor lighting engine shots
545073ef1361de1003e82df5d700d92f.jpg

60cbef7439d00f15a1e1a7611edf5537.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, I'm going to say that the best option would be to find some springs for the front meant to handle more weight, but I'm not sure you're going to find many that are 6" in height, since that's a pretty uncommon lift on our TJs. That being said, I'd put some coil spring spacers in, but to be honest, it looks pretty level to me in those photos. Of anything it looks like you could use an extra 1/2" in the rear.

Reactions: cjaama
Yeah, I'm going to say that the best option would be to find some springs for the front meant to handle more weight, but I'm not sure you're going to find many that are 6" in height, since that's a pretty uncommon lift on our TJs. That being said, I'd put some coil spring spacers in, but to be honest, it looks pretty level to me in those photos. Of anything it looks like you could use an extra 1/2" in the rear.
I wanted to do springs but like you said, they are kind of hard to find in that size and even harder to know if they are a stiffer spring than what I have. I don't mind the appearance too much, it just bugs me that it's a little nose low. I'm a little worried about the reduced spring compression on the rear but haven't had any weird handling issues from it like I thought I would have. It actually handles noticibly better with the extra weight up front than the light weight (relatively) 4 cylinder.

My assumption is that companies set coil rates for the 4.0. I have yet to see aftermarket coils specify 4 vs 6 cylinder. A spacer would help, it looks like you have one already. I would measure from flat ground to bottom of the frame to see how much rake you have. Going to be far more accurate than measuring at the flare.

Nice engine install, bro! Also, love, love, love those wheels!
Got to agree with Chris; that looks pretty level to me. If you are happy with the current ride, I'd either stick with the way it is or do spacers. Going to stiffer springs (if you could find them in 6" lift) will...well...stiffen the ride, which may not be entirely desirable.

In order to get the correct spring rate you may have to end up with some sort of coil over or an ORI so you can dial it in. You are now so far from a stock setup that just about nothing off the shelf will be just right.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
So I didn't realize I had a spacer already, never really paid attention so thanks for pointing it out. So assuming I have rake based on frame heights and the distance between the two measuring points I can calculate what it would take to level me out. I wonder if I could remove the spacer and go to these 8 inch coils instead

cddd50880ec3cbcbc5a5fb628b4a949b.jpg

but to be honest, it looks pretty level to me in those photos. Of anything it looks like you could use an extra 1/2" in the rear.
Agreed. It looks completely level and if anything looks higher in the front (despite measurements proving otherwise. Is it more noticeable in person?

So I didn't realize I had a spacer already, never really paid attention so thanks for pointing it out. So assuming I have rake based on frame heights and the distance between the two measuring points I can calculate what it would take to level me out. I wonder if I could remove the spacer and go to these 8 inch coils instead

View attachment 37957

That’s what I’d be looking into, 8” springs for the front, or a 1.75” spacer with the 6” springs would be just fine

Agreed. It looks completely level and if anything looks higher in the front (despite measurements proving otherwise. Is it more noticeable in person?
The top picture is pre V8 where it was level. The bottom two pictures are the change with the v8

The rake doesn't look bad. If it really bugs you, measure that current spacer (looks like about 1.5") and see if you can get a spring to make up for it. Maybe those 8" springs with a 3/4" puck in the back?

Looks like a child seat in the back...do you carry much weight back there besides that? Some rake is preferable IMO, for loading stuff and not dragging the rear. I was expecting to see a lot more rake than is in that photo...

Reactions: jjvw
Looks like a child seat in the back...do you carry much weight back there besides that? Some rake is preferable IMO, for loading stuff and not dragging the rear. I was expecting to see a lot more rake than is in that photo...
Just a couple little kiddos back there. I don't have anything to tow now but want to get a super lightweight 8ft tent trailer which will bring it down a little. I think the one I'm looking at is about 1400 lbs

What is your current ride height, front and rear? Measure the springs, including the spacer.

2003 Rubicon