Do I need a new fairlead for my synthetic winch line?

OldButStillJeeping

Old School Jeep TJ Tinker
Supporting Member
So, on my Warn M8000-S, (see pic), I noticed this while moving it to another Jeep. I have done some hard pulls with it. You can see the nylon build up on the Fairlead.
I've used steel cable for a long time, but synthetic for only about 6 years. Pardon my ignorance.

Wondering if I should change the Fairlead, it's a Warn premium. Or hit the thing with Pam cooking spray once in awhile?
Thanks

KIMG0098.JPG

can you remove the buildup and the finish be smooth? maybe a scotch brite pad on a rotary tool.
if it's furrowed and rough it's not gonna benefit the synth line and would be time to replace it.

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
can you remove the buildup and the finish be smooth? maybe a scotch brite pad on a rotary tool.
if it's furrowed and rough it's not gonna benefit the synth line and would be time to replace it.
Thank you. I planned to try to clean it off.

But I'm concerned with damaging the surface by using anything too abrasive. I'm going to try a heat gun and paper towels.

So, on my Warn M8000-S, (see pic), I noticed this while moving it to another Jeep. I have done some hard pulls with it. You can see the nylon build up on the Fairlead.
I've used steel cable for a long time, but synthetic for only about 6 years. Pardon my ignorance.

Wondering if I should change the Fairlead, it's a Warn premium. Or hit the thing with Pam cooking spray once in awhile?
Thanks

View attachment 267816
We see that all the time with the Warn polished aluminum fairleads. Yours is actually pretty minor. My theory (unproven) is that due to Warn casting those and then polishing them that the porosity or less density of a low pressure casting leaves a rougher surface even after polishing that abrades the synthetic line. I'm actually surprised Warn didn't find it in testing and change it somehow. Be aware that we see it on every Warn fairlead like that which has been used.

I bought an aluminum fairlead from Amazon warehouse that cost something like $19. Well made, nicely finished, very smooth, and radiused on the back. You don't have to spend a lot to get a good one.
One would think Warn would have been a good one. Have you used your $19 Amazon fairlead enough to know performs better than Warn?

I'll be ordering the TRE. Price is awesome compared to others.

I'd like to try the one @Zorba recommended, simply for the price. It's $17.99 now. But with no after use experience, I'll go with what @Chris and @Jerry Bransford and @Apparition mentioned.

Thanks to all for the advice.
I have the Amazon special, it’s faded a bit over time but works just fine. It was a temporary fix when I went synthetic that I’ve yet to fulfill it being temporary 😅. TRE is the right choice!

I have the Amazon special, it’s faded a bit over time but works just fine. It was a temporary fix when I went synthetic that I’ve yet to fulfill it being temporary 😅. TRE is the right choice!
yea - mine's starting to fade as well - turning a kind of dark caramel color instead of black. But I wouldn't pay TRE's price for their fairlead - just too rich for what it actually is. YMMV and all that...

We see that all the time with the Warn polished aluminum fairleads. Yours is actually pretty minor. My theory (unproven) is that due to Warn casting those and then polishing them that the porosity or less density of a low pressure casting leaves a rougher surface even after polishing that abrades the synthetic line. I'm actually surprised Warn didn't find it in testing and change it somehow. Be aware that we see it on every Warn fairlead like that which has been used.
I ran a Viking line with a Rokmen fairlead for many years and pulls. Winch was stolen and replaced with another to include a Warn synthetic line, but same fairlead. After just a few pulls with the Warn line I started noticing the buildup on the fairlead just like the above picture. My assumption was it was the line not the fairlead.

Is there a fairlead you like that's commercially available?

My two TRE fairleads came yesterday. Fast shipping especially in our current environment.

The TRE fairleads look quality. Very nice. And they included the mounting hardware, which I didn't expect. Nice. Fit perfectly and the black color looks better than the grey Warn fairlead does on my truck.

We'll see how they work out.

Thanks to all.

But in the recesses of my mind... I think it might just be that the synthetic line is the problem. As @James C. mentioned.
KIMG0111~2.JPG

Last edited: