Do I need a new timing chain?

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
This plus I have been chasing misfire codes on my 97 4.0 forever...

ezgif-1-ecabe57e78.gif

I agree - that's way too loose. You may need to replace chain, sprockets, and tensioner if it's been like that for awhile.

@macleanflood Have you measured the amount of deflection? IDK specifically about the 4.0, but I think most chains are spec'd at no more than 3/8 inch. Your's looks to be well beyond that.

Last edited:
Any parts preference out there? I see Melling has a set for about $50 and the Felpro gasket without the repair kit is $15.

Maybe preemptively replace the water pump?

-Mac

I tend to be a "while I'm in there guy" so I say yes do it all. Water pump and t-stat, belt tensioner and idler too.
I think I went with the Melling part

Reactions: BlueC
Went with Cloyes with mine. There's also a rubber snubber in there you need to replace. Either it will be missing (chewed up by the chain), or it will be hard as a brick.

Be ready to buy/return multiples. I think it took three different timing sets before I found one that had the cam and crank gears both machined properly. First two sets I got, one had the cam gear too tight, the other had the crank gear too tight.

• Sad
Reactions: MikeE024
Be ready to buy/return multiples. I think it took three different timing sets before I found one that had the cam and crank gears both machined properly. First two sets I got, one had the cam gear too tight, the other had the crank gear too tight.

I've recently heard this elsewhere.

• Sad
Reactions: MikeE024

Wow, store brands or Melling, Cloyes, etc?

Well that's not good news. I either need to order from Amazon or Rock Auto... Amazon has the timing cover set, fel pro gasket...the rubber snubber is the plastic guide, right?

I watched a couple of YouTube videos and one of them had zero play...seems like that would be a machining failure. I would expect a little slack.

Town is 45 minutes away...headed in now to a get an upper control arm bolt...mine is missing...hmm...and not one of the four part stores has the Melling or can get it any time soon.

-Mac

Well that's not good news. I either need to order from Amazon or Rock Auto... Amazon has the timing cover set, fel pro gasket...the rubber snubber is the plastic guide, right?

I watched a couple of YouTube videos and one of them had zero play...seems like that would be a machining failure. I would expect a little slack.

Town is 45 minutes away...headed in now to a get an upper control arm bolt...mine is missing...hmm...and not one of the four part stores has the Melling or can get it any time soon.

-Mac

I got the Cloyes from RockAuto, perfect fit.

Here's the Melling kit:
1656113266630.png

How many miles @macleanflood? Mine was toast at around 100k but I drove it thinking the engine was sick for years before I realized it was just that stupid chain. I did Cloyes but it was 7 years ago and it looks like the one I used is out of stock just about everywhere. I'd pass on replacing the water pump, they rarely fail and when they do it's normally not a big deal. I don't remember having to remove the pump to do the job.

Reactions: Matt131
Wow, store brands or Melling, Cloyes, etc?

First one was an Autozone/Duralast set, second was a Cloyes from OReilly. Even tried to buy a Mopar set from the dealer but they were on national backorder with no idea when (or if) they'd be available.

Ended up mixing and matching good parts from the sets.

Mine is that bad, probably a little more with 250k, engine does feels tired. Just got a new cloyes chain, 2 sprockets, a shoe and crank seal with cover gasket. I'll race ya tomorrow after its done. 😁

This confirms my suspicions about my chain then. I noticed the play in it when I was replacing my oil pan gasket. Thanks OP and let us know how the install goes and what parts kit you used. Guess I'm doing mine soon.

Reactions: Blondie70