Do I need a Rubicon?

Selling the tcase would net you anywhere from 1k to 1.8k. That would be a lot to put towards gears. 231 around these parts can be had for $200 or less.

I would love to have the 241 under my rig. I really wish someone would start making the 4:1 low kit for the 231, I'd buy it in a heartbeat

A stock rubicon is extremely capable, it sounds like it would be more than you’d likely need And would allow you to grow into it. I’m very pleased I bought the rubicon.

However if you are well researched ahead of time and are paying all cash - you could buy a non-rubi and choose the parts that go in (maybe you prefer arb lockers instead, etc). That’s a compelling thing for a lot of builders.

I've had my 06 LJR for almost 7 years. Except for lift and 33s, it's mostly stock. It's been all over the country, on all types of terrain with no issues. A regear would be nice, but then I would probably want to pull the trigger on 35s.
If you don't want to mess with the time and money of rebuilding, it's a great Factory offroader.
Plus, I feel like it's still worth what I paid for it.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Stock Features of a Rubicon Model:
  • Tru-lok selectable pneumatic lockers, activate in 4-lo and under 10mph, engaged until out of 4-lo or deselected
  • Limited slip in rear when not locked
  • NV241 Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case — fixed yoke
  • Heavy-duty driveshafts with 1330 universal joints
  • Dana 44 Front (Dana 30 outers)
  • 4.10 gears
  • Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT245/75R16 (31") Tires
  • 16-inch, five-spoke aluminum wheels
  • Diamond plate rock rails
  • Rubicon Lettering on Hood
  • 4-wheel Disc Brakes

I never met anyone with a Rubicon that said I wish I didn't buy it.
Pick me !
I love the lockers and D44s but the Rock Box 4:1 sucks big time.
I'd much prefer the 2.69 ratio box like I've been driving for 50 years.

The Rubi was built to capture the rock crawling craze and it was a marketing gem.
But if you live in the desert or forest, or.... it sucks.

And I'm not the only Rubi owner who feels that way, I'm just one of the few with thick enough skin to say it

Thanks for all the great responses and insights. With each post I say to myself "Well, yes - That makes sense I'll go Rubi" then the next one I say "Well, yes - That makes sense I'll go standard"!!

I'm solid mechanically and looking forward to doing most of my own work on the rig so building it out over time is not a problem. But then again, I also know that I often end up over time with something I could have just bought complete in the first place.

Seems like at the end of the day it will come down to the right Jeep at the right price, independent of Trim and just go into it understanding the pro's and con's and tradeoffs.

This forum is great and so many Opinions :)

Seems like at the end of the day it will come down to the right Jeep at the right price, independent of Trim and just go into it understanding the pro's and con's and tradeoffs.

I’m going to assume an SE is out, unless you want the 4 banger. That’s not to knock it, however it changes the build possibilities significantly and sounds like it wouldn’t fit your goals.