Do I need a Rubicon?

Gblabla

Supporting Member
Looking for my next toy and locked in on a LJ. Looked at and driven several and working through the Standard Unlimited Vs. Rubicon decision as well as getting over the price that individuals and dealers are asking. I think I have it figured out but thought I'd check my criteria and sanity with this group (I know, Sanity and this Forum all in the same sentence!)

The Jeep will not be a DD but will also not be used for hard core wheeling. Mostly intending to be forest / desert trails that fall mostly into the Medium to Medium High category of difficulty with maybe a slightly greater challenge thrown in here or there. Looking to only do a small lift of 2.5" - 3" and the 1.25" BL plus 1" ML. Probably go to 33" tires. I like nice things and won't be buying a beater so will be more sensitive to getting into situations that may lead to damage. Also will eventually (or sooner) get the TC out of the way with a Tummy Tuck.

Rubicon seems good because, well, it is a Rubicon. Assuming everything works there is not much to do as far as the drivetrain goes. The couple I have driven certainly show how low the 4S Low really is. Honestly not sure I would ever need that low of gearing - Until of course the one time I do need it. But also realize that getting past obstacles is as much, if not more, on the driver rather than the equipment.

Starting with the base Unlimited I still get the Dana 44 Rear with LSD. Figure I can always add a front locker of some type in the future if I ever find I need it. Understand that Running 33" shouldn't be a problem with the std axels but may need some re-gearing - which based on the fact I want an Auto sound like is a good idea anyway. I am pretty sure that my level of talent and pucker factor will run out well before I the point that the Standard reaches it's limit.

I seem to have talked myself out of the Rubicon and just want to make sure I'm not missing something significant. This forum has already given me so much to think about and I appreciate the wisdom of those that have been there and done that!!

It sounds to me like you do not need a Rubicon. Like you said, you already have a Dana 44 in a LJ, so you're giving up the 4:1 t-case, which it doesn't sound like you need. In fact there are those that don't rock crawl that don't like the 4:1 t-case. The 4.10 gears will not be enough, especially with an auto, so you'd still need to regear either way as I believe the standard LJ is 3.73. You are however giving up the factory lockers that you may or may not actually need.

Reactions: DrDmoney
If you are not planning on building an off-road beast and only running 33’s a Rubicon will be hard to beat as a starting point.
A 6 spd Rubicon is geared almost perfect for 33’s, stock selectable lockers, 4:1 low range. In the long run it would be cheaper than buying a non-Rubicon, regearing, adding lockers, etc.

Edit: oops, missed the part where you wanted the auto, forget what I said since you’ll have to regear anyways.

Reactions: JMT
Mostly intending to be forest / desert trails that fall mostly into the Medium to Medium High category of difficulty
Thats my territory too. I have a TJR and hate 4LO. I love the lockers. Since I tow lots I like the D44s. But honestly I'd prefer the Sport Transfer Case. You'll never need the Rubi Box. Hell until the Rubicon came out everyone used the 2.69ish ratios..... for 60 plus years.

Lockers are an easy add. I'd add e-lockers and forgo the air compressors.

I also run 33s with the Rubi 4.10s... If I regeared I'd go to 3.73s. But with the 42RLE, you will likely prefer 4.10s.

The other way to look at it. Turn off the OD and run it like it has the old 32RH. Then 3.73s are perfect with 3.73s and you can use OD only on the Interstate.

Last edited:
I am a fan of a Rubi. :) Did I need one? No, but if I do, it is ready. lol

jeepatnem.jpg

Get a Rubicon and switch out the transfer case. Can recoup the cash from the case and put it towards a regear if you still think you need. 4.10s, Lockers, 44S F and R and resale value.

story
there was a young dude new to sailing (hang on, it sort of relates) who would constantly hound the local broker about sailboats. In particular asking the question, "what do I need in a sailboat?"

Finally, the broker said, "look, no one NEEDS a sailboat."

The value of the Rubicon is the transfer case followed by the ability to run 5.38 in the front. If those aren't important, then there is a very strong argument against the Rubicon.

If I were to rebuild mine similar to what it is, I would likely start with the 3 speed auto.

AS someone mentioned, you could get it all if you got a 6-speed Rubi and did not go beyond 32’s or 33’s. No need to re-gear, just lift and tuck and be done. Very capable.

I never met anyone with a Rubicon that said I wish I didn't buy it. Also most of us started out doing fire roads and back trails and not rock crawling. Sure you can add lockers later but I think you might pay more when your done. Most started out with 31's or 33's then after a few years switched out to 33's or 35's.

I know guys that pass on the Rubicon because they know exactly what they want to build after having prior jeeps. If you think the the Rubicon TC is to low you can always up shift, but if have a std. TC you can never shit down enough to make up for it. It's sort of like having a winch you hope you never need it, but when you do there is no substitute

Get a Rubicon With a 42RLE, put a Rubicrawler box in it, leave the 410s, done. now you have the best of both worlds

edit: And more gears than a Swiss watch

Last edited:
I'm in very much the same situation as the OP in looking for an LJ except that I want a manual.

My current TJ has 6 speed manual, 33's and 3.73. Many on this forum have said I would be happy with 4.56 but I think the 3.73 is just fine and if I were to get a Rubicon at least I would get 4.10 and lockers.

Reactions: billiebob
I like my Rubicon because it allows me to maneuver past obstacles without having to push with the techniques that might otherwise damage my running gear. In other words it is easy for me to make it go over or through areas where otherwise I might resort to high revs, speed, and or iffy control where the possible dent might make me regret ego driven "can do". If I were a better driver and turned wrenches like so many of the participants on this forum that might be different. Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited:
I was in the exact same boat (not a sail boat😉) as the OP. But after some quick math realized how much cheaper a Rubi is compared to having to get a regular TJ to even come close to it. I got the 6 speed, and the 4.10's are good with 32's. No regear needed. No locker dilemma. No drive shaft/slip yoke issue. If the 4:1 transfer is to low just shift up a gear. It's a lot easier to shift up to 5th than to need to shift down below 1st.
And if I ever sell it, the Rubicon will easily get more$, plus all the extra $ I didn't need to spend to bring a reg TJ to near Rubicon performance.
I am absolutely certain that for me I made the right call.
Plus all the Oooss and aaaahs when people see it's a Rubicon.( not a big deal, but it is nice unless I'm in a hurry.)
20191021_092731.jpg

Get a Rubicon With a 42RLE, put a Rubicrawler box in it, leave the 410s, done. now you have the best of both worlds

edit: And more gears than a Swiss watch
This is great except for 4.10s and 42RLE - that 0.69 overdrive is stupid high on the freeway lol. I’ll keep my 5.38s,42RLE, and future rubicrawler :)