Do I need a winch cover?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
What's the consensus on winch covers? Are they needed if you live in a place like Oregon where it rains a lot in the winter time? I recently bought a used M8000 and got it refurbished by Warn. Have new synthetic line in it. I want to make sure the winch doesn't rust internally.

Is there anything I can do to reasonably waterproof it? I worry about putting a cover and leaving it there all winter, moisture can get trapped and make things worse. Maybe use a winch cover for long hwy trips and remove it after parking the Jeep in the garage?

I formed a cover out of kydex that only covers the rope and drum section, leaving the motor housing and gearbox exposed. It's really more just a rain and sun shield since there's enough opening that there's no way it could trap water and keep it from drying out.

Reactions: Neal
I've had my winch for just a few months and the Florida sun is fading the stickers pretty heavily. Makes me worried for what it will do to the synthetic rope and the housing if I dont get a cover for it.
I'd recommend getting one before things start getting faded.

Not a big cover fan here. Two things you can do to help the winch are to apply sealer to outside of the motor where is meets the drum support (note there is a drain on the bottom you want to leave open) and the brush cap to the motor case. The other is to actually use the winch once in a while so that things stay limbered up and not stuck in one place.

My winch had a neoprene cover on it for 10 before I purchased it and another 2-1/2 since then. The Warn 9.5TI still looks like new. I put a new neoprene cover on it and it’s faded to hell after just one year even though the jeep is stored indoors.

Neoprene would be my last choice for use as a winch cover. Contrary to rumors, neoprene is not waterproof. In fact with prolonged exposure to moisture it soaks it up like a sponge which traps moisture under the cover adjacent to the winch where it can't quickly evaporate.

Neoprene would be my last choice for use as a winch cover. Contrary to rumors, neoprene is not waterproof. In fact with prolonged exposure to moisture it soaks it up like a sponge which traps moisture under the cover adjacent to the winch where it can't quickly evaporate.
I assume it’s neoprene, it’s the cover from Warn made for their winches.
I’ve used the vinyl covers from Warn as well and honestly, I found they held moisture more the the cover I use now

In the PNW most of us forgo a winch cover because of the amount of rain we receive. Those that have synthetic line do sometimes put a cover on. Sun fading is not really an issue unless you go to the East side of the mountains.

What winches really need are grease fittings for the gears, or at least lube ports for spray lube. Any where you have grease water doesn't like to go.

I drill a 1/8 hole in my trailer jack housings and use spray lube in them with a straw. Works great .

I use a neoprene cover, but I live in the desert, so protecting my winch from rain isn't much of an issue...I mostly have it on there to protect the synthetic line from the sun and sand
q1OQNjC.jpg

Reactions: Wittakoski and JMT
Neoprene has worked well on all my winch's,no sign of rust or trapped water. To each his own.

Reactions: JMT
I use a neoprene cover in E WA. 3 years and I’d do the same again. Winch looks new. I like the protection it provides against summer fading and how it keeps the dust out of the rope.

I have a neoprene Warn winch cover for my Warn winch. They offer covers to suit individual models of their winches and emphasize that a snug fit and a tight hold because of the elastic bottom lip offer good protection.

LJ - Front Bumper.jpg

EDIT - I just looked up a warn winch cover for my other winch and it's made of marine grade vinyl and has zippers and straps, so quite different.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KQ2SRZN/?tag=tjforum-20

Last edited:
Due to this thread I ordered a Bartact cover for my Zeon. I’ve had three Warn covers that have all faded to gray no matter how much 303 protectant I soak them in.

Buddy has the Bartact and loves it.

I have a vinyl coated fabric cover that kept my previous winch looking brand new even though the previous owner of the jeep had installed the winch years before. I sold that winch and replaced it with a Warn M8000-S but kept the cover.

I haven't used the cover recently because my jeep is garaged, but if in the future it is parked outside for any length of time I will use it to protect the synthetic line from the sun. I'm not concerned about rain causing any damage.

I will probably start using the cover if I start flat towing my jeep on a regular basis just to keep any mud or crud flung by the tow rig off of the winch. We'll see. The way I have my front license plate situated serves as a shield for the winch line and is probably enough.

View of front bumper with TRE fairlead and safety thimble.jpg

TRE winch line and Safety Thimble installed.jpg