Do I need a winch cover?

I formed a cover out of kydex that only covers the rope and drum section, leaving the motor housing and gearbox exposed. It's really more just a rain and sun shield since there's enough opening that there's no way it could trap water and keep it from drying out.

I did the same thing using light gauge steel, painted to (almost) match the winch. I've had it on for a couple of years and it has held up quite well. Keeps sunlight off the synthetic line and doesn't trap moisture. I haven't had any issues with fading on the parts that are uncovered.

211.jpg

I did the same thing using light gauge steel, painted to (almost) match the winch. I've had it on for a couple of years and it has held up quite well. Keeps sunlight off the synthetic line and doesn't trap moisture. I haven't had any issues with fading on the parts that are uncovered.

View attachment 191593

Man that looks sharp. Good job!

I have always had covers on my winches. the best to date is the bartact cover. This one is two years old in the picture and zero fading

F2D79BB7-72EC-40C6-B5DF-8877A274252D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
No cover on mine. The synthetic rope is at least 6 years old and seems to be doing fine.

Reactions: J R
No cover on mine. The synthetic rope is at least 6 years old and seems to be doing fine.
I read over and over how sensitive the synthetic rope is to UV damage.
Is there any real proof of the UV rays causing damage beyond the colour fading? I can’t see it be too sensitive when it is widely used in the marine industry and can’t imagine a harsher environment.

I read over and over how sensitive the synthetic rope is to UV damage.
Is there any real proof of the UV rays causing damage beyond the colour fading? I can’t see it be too sensitive when it is widely used in the marine industry and can’t imagine a harsher environment.

The stuff sits on docks and the decks of ships for years without anyone worrying about the sun.

Reactions: J R

View attachment 191593

Do you remove that cover when you use the winch?

I use one when I go wheeling to keep the mud off it. Makes cleaning it easier. Otherwise the Jeep is is my garage or driven on nice sunny days showing off the bumper jewelry

Reactions: matkal
I've been running a breathable canvas style cover in the PNW for the last 3 plus years and will pick up a new one soon as it's ready.

I'm not worried about the rope. I'm worried about water getting into the winch internals and rusting it out in the winter time. Am I worrying unnecessarily here 🤔?

I'm not worried about the rope. I'm worried about water getting into the winch internals and rusting it out in the winter time. Am I worrying unnecessarily here 🤔?

Mine has been daily driven and fully exposed for 7 years. And the winch itself is quite a bit older than that, living inside the bumper of a late 90s Land Rover. So far, so all I've done for repairs is rebuild the plug to the solenoids. A cover would have made no difference. I used it as recently as a month or two ago when I broke the axle shaft.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
I had a neoprene cover on my Ramsey winch. The cover lasted about a year before it started to deteriorating and fell apart. I like Jerry's idea of a canvas cover.