Do I need a winch cover?

I take it off so I can keep an eye on how the line is spooling, ...

Good. That's where I was headed. Might want to rethink that particular thimble with that particular fairlead in combination with the synthetic rope.

Never had a winch cover on my M8000. Went through a few Wyoming winters being daily driven, a good amount of use around the yard and when wheeling, and through plenty of water crossings without a problem. I've probably sunk my winch under water a good 10 times and it still works fine. I don't think winch covers are all that necessary when it comes to protecting the winch itself.

Whether or not the rope suffers I can't say. I've only had my synthetic for just over a year and haven't used it that much.

I havent had a cover on mine either in the 3 or 4 years I have had it. Only thing detrimental were the stickers pretty much wore off the winch. I dont plan a cover even with the brand new synthetic line.

Good. That's where I was headed. Might want to rethink that particular thimble with that particular fairlead in combination with the synthetic rope.

I did. Another DIY project, using a polyurethane caster wheel as a bumper. Spent $5.99 at Lowe's, and it stopped the damage that was beginning to occur on the left side of the fairlead.

259.jpg

Do you make your own, or do you have any recommendations for companies that make canvas winch covers?
It's a struggle to find canvas covers now. I tried for leather last time after not finding canvas but what I received after spending hours looking is unlike any leather I've ever seen. Kind of a mix of leather and vinyl. It's a crapshoot for sure. I just made sure to avoid anything that said it was vinyl or neoprene.

Reactions: Tob
Reactions: Neal
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I love those neoprene covers mostly because they are stretchy, fit well, and look nice when brand new but even with UV treatment on a regular basis they shred after six months tops. As Jerry stated, canvas covers are hard to come by.

about half the year when I wheel my winch either gets submerged, soaked with rain or covered in snow/sleet... covers seem pointless and I've never had any issues.

Do you make your own, or do you have any recommendations for companies that make canvas winch covers?
i pass a canvas tailor every day. they do mobile work and specialize in custom canvas boat covers. i could snag the # if you like.

While I don't have a total winch cover, I did fab up a line cover out of marine vinyl and velcro. I cut everything thing to the dimensions I wanted and had a local sewing shop button it up. Had two made at the same time should I lose or ruin one. I run the drum in and then wrap the cover over the line to protect the synthetic line from the sun and rocks on the highway. It's quick to remove and replace when I actually need to use it. I would've liked to get a full winch cover, but saw how fast they fade on the ones I looked at and it would drive me up the wall. I've since purchased a new line and thimble from TRE (which I still need to install) that will finally eliminate any dangling line like I've been running it.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190504105728656_COVER (1).jpg

Reactions: Neal
I have a Bartact cover on mine, and it's great. They are made for the Warn Zeon winch, but they fit my smittybilt x2o comp just fine.

https://www.bartact.com/collections/bartact-winch-covers-patent-pending
Speaking of the X20, I bought the WARN 102642 Stealth Series Winch Cover (Fits: VR8, VR10, VR12) for mine and it fits great. My wheeling buddy has a neoprene cover from Warn that has held up well but faded so much its purple. Not my cup of tea. The 102642 cover I bought is made of marine-grade, UV stable vinyl. Hopefully it won't turn purple.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ2SRZN/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Screenshot_20210123-202425_Chrome.jpg