Do I need an adjustable track bar?

ivarr

so, with a 3" lift my 2006 sport has an adjustable track bar. it's bad so have to replace it. do i need adjustable?
bought as 2nd owner from a jeep dealer in 2014 with the lift in it. rough country shocks, so i assume all rough country parts in the kit.
recommendations for one sub $150- ?
rancho has one that i would grab immediately ( rs62109 ) but rock auto doesn't have it listed with the american flag and amazon says it won't fit my jeep, is that true ???
or how about this ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW9836W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Jeep with a RC 4" lift on it. I ditched the track bar drop bracket, dropped pitman arm and crappy riding shocks. I do this on many of my Jeeps with zero issues.
p.s. Take a wire wheel to all that rust, then treat it. :oops:

TRACK BAR HOLE (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Calling @AndyG to the service desk, Andy can tell you which RC trac rod to order, it is rebuildable with off the shelf parts from the parts store.

I have one he installed on my 06 Rubicon and it's beefy!!!!

so, with a 3" lift my 2006 sport has an adjustable track bar. it's bad so have to replace it. do i need adjustable?
bought as 2nd owner from a jeep dealer in 2014 with the lift in it. rough country shocks, so i assume all rough country parts in the kit.
recommendations for one sub $150- ?
rancho has one that i would grab immediately ( rs62109 ) but rock auto doesn't have it listed with the american flag and amazon says it won't fit my jeep, is that true ???
or how about this ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW9836W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 364122

View attachment 364123
Yes you want an adjustable length track bar due to your 3" suspension lift. The front axle wouldn't be centered if you instead went with the stock non-adjustable track bar. A suspension lift pulls the axles to the side, adjustable length track bars compensate for suspension lifts to center the axles.

Amazon's advice on whether something will fit is so often wrong that I rarely pay attention to it. Know what you want before checking Amazon so you know ahead of time if it's the right part. However the track bar in your Amazon link has a heim joint on one end which is inexpensive and not known for lasting long. I would not buy that one. Yes the Rancho RS62109 will fit your TJ fine. :)

I'd be worried about the Heim joint on the track bar you listed. It will be problematic and fail much faster than a quality Johnny Joint. Reason being, Heim joints don't seal well, which accelerates wear.

d80-8881e9f48f11.__CR0,0,1200,1200_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg

I'd be worried about the Heim joint on the track bar you listed. It will be problematic and fail much faster than a quality Johnny Joint. Reason being, Heim joints don't seal well, which accelerates wear.

View attachment 364160

Especially when the heim joint is installed with the bolt vertical. All the water and road grime sits on top of the seal wiping surface and wears the joint out as it soaks in to the bearing surfaces. The frame side mount in the factory position is the worst place for a heim joint.

And just the fact that that track bar comes with a drop bracket ought to be an automatic deal breaker as it demonstrates that the designer doesn't understand TJ suspension and steering.

A Johnny Joint with it's poly races work much better at keeping contamination out.

Reactions: Irun
The bar you have can be rebuilt with an ES3096 L at the frame mount and a stock bushing at the axle end but in your case a K7252 Moog may be required at the bolt is larger- if it 12mm then $50-$60 and a trip to the parts store and it is same as new, better likely.

I’d go ahead and start spraying penetrant yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivarr

View attachment 364160

That's what failed on mine. RC wanted way too much for a replacement joint, so I ditched the track bar.

Reactions: Irun
Yes you want an adjustable length track bar due to your 3" suspension lift. The front axle wouldn't be centered if you instead went with the stock non-adjustable track bar. A suspension lift pulls the axles to the side, adjustable length track bars compensate for suspension lifts to center the axles.
Yes the Rancho RS62109 will fit your TJ fine. :)

thanks for the explanation and just ordered.

to all that commented, the nightmarish rust is because i live in massachusetts where they don't just spread salt on the roads they practically dump it in piles ...

thanks for the explanation and just ordered.

to all that commented, the nightmarish rust is because i live in massachusetts where they don't just spread salt on the roads they practically dump it in piles ...
MA is a state I used to like to visit but not in the winter lol. More than a couple times I had to follow the snow plow to get to where I was going and then not being able to open my car doors once I pulled into a hotel parking space because they weren't plowed open widely enough.

Reactions: John Cooper
MA is a state I used to like to visit but not in the winter lol. More than a couple times I had to follow the snow plow to get to where I was going and then not being able to open my car doors once I pulled into a hotel parking space because they weren't plowed open widely enough.

I would like to go there if they would move it down here.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper